What type of 767 from Newark to Honolulu (767-400?)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by merice107, Sep 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am flying on December 26th from Providence RI to Honolulu. My two options are connecting in Chicago (~9hr flight) and connecting in Newark (~11hr flight).

It is slightly cheaper to do the Newark connection (and I've also already flown a 777 on the Chicago Honolulu route before; and will be flying that home as I am from Chicago). When looking at what type of 767 United flies from Newark, I could not find the same seat layout that United was showing me on their site compared to the 767 models on seatguru. It looked close to one of the 767-400 seat maps. I found an old forum thread on ariliners.net where people were talking about how Continental used to fly 767-400s. Is this still the case? Does anyone have any experience flying this route? Would anyone recommend the 767 (11 hours) vs. the 777 (9 hours)? I've spent many years in O'hare and I have first hand experience of the craziness that happens during the holidays, but is Newark any better?

Thanks for your insight.

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA15 is indeed a 764.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    EWR-HNL currently flies with a 764 or 76H (a 767-400 but with fewer BF seats and more Y seats). Both are fine, though the new 764 config is a bit nicer, with AVOD and power in the back and flat beds up front. In the relatively near future (months, not years) there will be a new 777 Islands config but that's not flying yet.

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're an elite you will get Complimentary Premier Upgrades on any non-764/764H flight to Hawaii so take that into consideration.

i.e flying ORD-HNL would offer the option of a CPU however flying from EWR/IAD/IAH would require a Regional Premier Upgrade or Global Premier Upgrade instrument.

ETA: Cash+Miles as WA mentioned too.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Or cash+miles. :-:

Flyer1976 likes this.
  6. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Isn't there a minimum fare class to use the GPU or RPU?

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not to HNL from the mainland.

avflyer and HeathrowGuy like this.
  8. eagle92

eagle92 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would take the 767 from Newark over the 777 from ORD...but that is just personal preference...

Flyer1976 likes this.
  9. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    One more factor - the 764 flight from EWR is probably 1-2 hours longer than the 777 from ORD. If you are in coach, you may prefer to break it in ORD (or even LAX/SFO) rather than in EWR to shorten the longest leg.

10. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go via EWR, hands down. CPUs are frequently nonexistent on ORD-HNL these days (especially given the flight's onward traffic to Guam -- and even there are upgrade seats to be had, that flight routinely features a long list of cert/mileage/GS/1K upgraders potentially ahead of you depending on your status and fare), so let's kill off that fiction while it's still in the cradle.

The EWR-HNL flight has a Y cabin similar to what you'd get going to Europe, minus free meals but with the option to buy Mai Tais (if sCO is finally getting properly provisioned for them). I've done this very flight in the back once before -- it's long, and mildly grueling, but absolutely doable, and on account of the IFE and proud Continental crews much better than ORD-HNL.

rggale likes this.