What Triggers Miles To Be Released Into FF Account?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by jamesphoenix, Sep 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hey guys,

Just a quick question.....

I have booked a flght in two weeks that requires a connection through Chicago. My schedule has changed, and according to my company's travel agency, it is cheaper to just buy a one-way ticket back rather than change the current ticket.

My question is, if I check in for the old flight, but I do not board, will I still receive the segment/miles from the original?

Also, what are the chances of AA extending me an EP offer with only 97 segments at the end of this year?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    With DL and I assume other airlines, miles get sent to your account when the GA closes the flight on the computer, generating the final manifest. Doing OLCI but not boarding would not result in your getting the miles.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will only get the miles if you fly the flight. Not gonna happen just for checking in.

As for getting the bump up from 97 segments, it might happen or it might not. The easy way to guarantee it is to find a cheap connecting trip and go for a ride one day.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or find a weekend getaway that interests you and requires more than two flight segments. It's fun and better than worrying if you care about EXP.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct on the last part (which is all that matters for the OP), but at least on UA IME the flight also needs to make it to its destination (or *a* destination). My flight into NRT on the day of the quake was diverted to KIX, but the miles to NRT (or KIX) didn't post. When I called MP a few weeks later, they said it showed as cancelled. It was surprisingly easy to convince them that it actually did not cancel and they gave me the miles... Plus the miles for the second flight on my itinerary (NRT-BKK) that was in fact canceled.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some DL people claim that they can see the miles by GoGo during the flight or even on an iPhone just as they're forced to turn it off. I've never checked this obsessively and miles might be slower to post since the merger.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't surprise me. With UA it usually takes a day or two. I haven't been on Delta in years, but I'll try to remember to check this if I end up flying them.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless there's some issue, my exUSA miles always are in my account by the next morning. It can be slower when leaving a foreign station. This is mostly NW/DL as long as I can remember, basically since it all became automated.

9. sma_15

sma_15 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back in 2000 on Air Canada (or Air Nova specifically) they used to credit miles for checking in... because I once missed a flight because of security delays and I was on standby for the next one and I was credited with both flights.