What travel pros wear on their feet

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Apr 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/04/21/travel/shoes-the-pros-use.html

[​IMG]

IT SOUNDS IDYLLIC: strolling the streets and byways of Europe, across cobblestones, up castle steps, along riverbanks. Touring by foot will give you an intimate perspective of a place and (if you’re not careful) blisters, cuts and Achilles’ tendinitis, too.

“Everyone wants to look good when they travel,” said Sofia Bartlett, a director for the tour company Tauck. “I would be only too happy to die in my Prada or Gucci pumps, but, alas, that’s not an option when traveling,” Ms. Bartlett (who wears Skechers) wrote in an e-mail. “Not only can you injure yourself with an awkward step, but your whole day (or even your entire trip) will be ruined if your shoes start hurting your feet.”

Even as a frequent traveler and long-distance walker, I can’t bring myself to wear toe-separating sports shoes like Vibram FiveFingers that call to mind gecko feet. I admit, however, that for extreme walks I wear Injinji’s toesocks, which define each toe, helping align them and prevent blisters.

Read More: http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/04/21/travel/shoes-the-pros-use.html

2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although I rarely wear them while traveling, my most comfortable shoes are Mephisto Runoffs. Unfortunately, even though extremely comfortable, they are also relatively heavy. My travel shoes are a pair of Propet sneaks with velcro closure for ease of removal at checkpoints.

TravelBear, uggboy and Sweet Willie like this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    A very comfy pair of running shoes is still my preferred footwear if lots of walking is on the schedule.
    I do pack a pair of Clark slip ons for more dressy events & while traveling through airports, something like the below but with a much more formal look:
    clark shoe.jpg

I'm too young to do the velcro thing (at least I'd like to believe I am) :)

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Skechers seem to work well in most conditions and are very comfortable, only downside is the laces.

[​IMG]

Mapsmith and uggboy like this.
  5. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I read this article with interest and am planning on hitting Zappos soon.

My biggest problem is that I go through soles very quickly. With traditional leather soles I can wear a hole in the ball of the the foot area in four weeks. Also, I tend to wear down the outer edges of the heels quickly. (Both are due to the fact that my feet turn out).

Some materials hold up fantastically well, however. I recently got a pair of Ecco dress shoes that show almost no wear on the soles.

Anyone with advice about very hard wearing soles will be gratefully received (and preferably slip-on styles).

6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had great luck with Nun Bush shoes holding up. You can get them at Khol's. Many styles under $100.

LarryInNYC, Mapsmith and uggboy like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Optimizing my footwear based on TSA is not my thing.

LarryInNYC, MX, Mapsmith and 4 others like this.
  8. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Teva or J&M...TSA optimized and super comfortable for walking.

LarryInNYC and TravelBear like this.
  9. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bought a pair of Ecco shoes about a year ago and did a lot of walking in NYC and Iceland in them. I also wear them to work a lot and I am on my feet all day. Love em.

Eccogreen.jpg
    Liked them so much I got them in
    Ecco.jpg
    as well.

LarryInNYC, MX and Mapsmith like this.
  10. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is what I like about this site. I get all kinds of advice that you may not even realize you all give.

I bought a pair of GEOX a couple of years ago. The shoes were fine, but I went thru the soles very fast.

Larry, you might find a pair that you like and find a decent cobbler. (You can probably find one in NYC) Have him reinforce the sole area and put in a hard heel cap. Should only cost about $20-$30 for the pair. And you can replace the the reinforcements as they wear.

LarryInNYC likes this.
  11. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doc Martens are a heavy shoe, but they are extremely durable.

Mapsmith, LarryInNYC and TravelBear like this.
  12. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I much prefer slip-ons it has nothing to do with security lines. Just tired of laces -- especially have to deal with replacing them at inopportune times.

Mapsmith and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  13. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, for each of you gentlemen, I would ask do you generally have a problem going through soles quickly? I only ask because sometimes other folks tell me about shoes that have lasted them a couple of years and when I look at them I can tell right away that they'd last a month or two on my feet.

Mapsmith likes this.
  14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check out the shoes from a company called SCARPA. They have a number of products in their lifestyle ranges which are attractive and great even for light hiking or trekking as well as their professional products.

What I typically take on a "cross usage" trip is:

One pair slip on dress shoes (leather with a rubber sole or rubber sole covering) which are comfortable and flexible yet dressy enough to look good with a suit

One pair flip flops (to use at the pool, thermes, or even the beach if this is the rare case)

One pair SCARPA Mojito shoes- good enough for a light approach day and also can be worn easily with jeans anywhere in the world and also lightweight and waterproof with a good Vibram sole.

Mapsmith likes this.
  15. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do have shoes resoled from time-to-time. The problem is getting the person who's doing the work to understand what kind durability I'm looking for. I did have a pair of dress shoes successfully resoled a year or two ago. The replacement soles are super-durable from a wear perspective, but weight about 1.5 lbs each and the glue job hasn't held up too well. I may have to look up-market a bit for a better cobbler.

Mapsmith likes this.
  16. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not go through them as quick as you. My experience with the Nun Bush shoes was compared to other brands I have purchased. After a 12- 18 month period with other brands the soles were pretty worn down. The Nun Bush soles showed only light wear in the same time period.

Mapsmith and LarryInNYC like this.
  17. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you recommend that style particularly? Do you have any experience with other styles from the same maker?

TRAVELSIG and Mapsmith like this.
  18. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I generally do not have issues with going through the sole though I will say that almost all, if not all, of my shoes are some sort of rubber sole. I do not wear any type of dress shoe with a harder sole. It could be quite possible for you to NOT spend a lot on shoes knowing you will be replacing them more frequently. I cannot imagine wearing out a shoe in a month! Below is the bottom of my Ecco's that I wore on a two week trip that involved NYC and Iceland, plus a long weekend in NYC AND wearing them to work a lot. I have had them about a year, no more.

Photo on 4-23-13 at 4.54 PM.jpg

HaveMilesWillTravel and Mapsmith like this.
  19. Lou

Lou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go to a local cobbler and have them put rubber outsoles on your good leather shoes. Especially in NYC (and in the winter when all the salt is down) it will make your soles last far longer and provide slip-protection. The right outsole can be basically unnoticeable - unlike ones with treads that reach to the edge of the shoe - those have no place on a dress shoe.

bonnerbl, TravelBear and Mapsmith like this.
  20. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe not up-market, but older cobbler. Someone who has been around a long time will know exactly what is necessary. Do not glue. have the new soles sewn in. If they can't sew them find someone who can. In NYC, you might even try calling one of the Broadway Theaters and seeing who they use for dance shoes.

And if you find a knowledgeable cobbler, he can probably even put stitches across the ball of the shoe where you have a lot of wear.

TravelBear likes this.
  21. hiima

hiima Member

Status Points:
    Eccos will be my go-tos.

Mapsmith, bonnerbl and TravelBear like this.
  22. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a lot of experience with products from this company and think they are really great.

In the United States you can see the majority of their North America collection on their website at scarpa.com.

If you want to know something about their European collection just send me a PM.

Mapsmith likes this.
  23. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Trying to choose between the SCARPA Zen and Mojito. Any thoughts?

Mapsmith likes this.
  24. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are both very nice shoes- I personally prefer the look of the Mojito however that is a very subjective decision- both shoes will work well.

Mapsmith likes this.
  25. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have had a pair of Scarpa Mojitos for three or four months and taken them on trips to Italy and Iceland.

Absolutely fantastic pair of sneaker-like shoes -- attractive, very comfortable (they lace all the way down to the toe boot, making them easy to fit to even oddly-shaped feet), and hard-wearing. Great for city walking and light hiking (when you don't need ankle support). Good for all informal situations. Can't be used for anything requiring any formality since they have the brand name embroidered on them.

Interestingly, these shoes are sold all over Iceland, any shop or campsite that sells sporting equipment or footwear has them.

I definitely appreciate this tip.

Mapsmith likes this.