What to say when calling reconsideration line

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Gacspeech, Jun 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gacspeech

Gacspeech Active Member

Status Points:
    Good morning,

I applied for a new Chase card yesterday (the British Airways card), but I got the " we'll let you know in the next month or so" reply, rather than automatic approval. I'm a complete newbie and I'm dreading making this call. Can someone give me a script of what to say to make sure I get the card? That would really help me feel a little more relaxed about making the call. I have no clue what they'll ask me. I applied for a Cap One Venture card back in March (before I really started learning about points) but this is the only other card I have applied for, so I'm not sure why I wasn't automatically approved.

In case you're wondering why I chose this card as one of my first forays into the world of points/miles, I live in Boston and I'm hoping to get the great bonus to fly from BOS -DUB using Avios on Aer Lingus next summer. In the future I plan to apply for other cards.

Thanks for any help you can give me. :)

Kalboz likes this.
  2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just call them and say that you got the "we'll let you know" message and ask whether there's any further information they need, since you were surprised not to get approved right away. They'll probably ask you some questions about your income and possibly the size of your other credit lines, all of which you should answer truthfully. Unfortunately, it sounds like you don't have any other credit lines with Chase to "trade" for this card if there turns out to be a problem with your amount of outstanding credit.

You can sign up with CreditSesame and CreditKarma to pre-check your approximate credit scores to see if there might be an issue there.

The only times you really need to worry about the reconsideration line is if
    • You have credit "issues" on your record.
    • You have a lot of cards with the same bank already.
    • You're applying for a business card and aren't prepared to discuss the details of your business.
    Otherwise, in my experience, it's generally painless.

Kalboz, edekba and iolaire like this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Larry's advice is spot on. One thing to add is to wait to get the rejection letter. Some say call immediately but I see no reason, there is no huge rush, and it’s quite possible that you will get approved after a short wait with no need to call them.

Of the three Amex cards I received this year only one was approved immediately, the other two required a wait of a few days for a decision.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:

I wouldn't agree with this option fully, unless you're dealing with US Bank, who pretty much won't help you if you call recon immediately. The bonuses tied to the card are from the date of application (rather than the date you actually receive the card), and while I understand that most people who manufacture spend don't really need the entire time to complete the bonus spend, but there are people who aren't into extracurricular spending who may need as much time as possible to meet the spend requirements. I always call the same day as I don't receive instant approval (again, unless US Bank). If you want to be in control of the situation, don't let the banks send you documented denial before objecting.

Kalboz and iolaire like this.
  5. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife hates calling the re-con line. Actually she refuses too...

She applied for the Chase BA card two months ago and despite excellent credit and a long term relationship with Chase, got the pending review. About 4 days later the account showed up in her Chase online account and I knew she had been approved. Several days later the card arrived in the mail.

If you dread calling and like Servo said, your not pinched for time to meet the minimum spending, don't call!!

BTW...I just booked two r/t tickets in business class using Avois BOS-DUB for the spring of 2014 and can't wait to visit.

Kalboz, servo and iolaire like this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    technically i think its tied to the date you're approved for the card, not the date of application.

7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually my wife missed a Citibank Thank You card bonus because that card was tied to the application date. She was off by like a day n the spend, despite the fact that it took a few weeks to get the card they would not budge. She has been fairly loyal to Citibank for decades but they would not budge.

edekba likes this.
  8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    getting the card != approval date though right?

If the bank takes 4 days to go over the application, and then 6 more days before you get the card, your "Start" date should be A+4 not A+10.

9. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    The date we had was a congratulations you were approved email that we think was about three weeks after applying. In our case they would not use that "congratulations you were approved" date to measure the three months spend time.

edekba likes this.
  10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    guberif likes this.
  11. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    That makes no logical sense ...:-/

12. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    While nerve-wracking, I've always found the recon lines to be very professional and relatively painless. I find it helps to be drinking a beer while on the phone :)

Kalboz, rodeojones and iolaire like this.
  13. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:

I find drinking beer helps in many "non vehicle" types of tasks. :cool:

Ed Chandler and Kalboz like this.
  14. Gacspeech

Gacspeech Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you everyone! I made the call and it went well and she approved me over the phone. I appreciate all the help!

rockyrock, rodeojones and iolaire like this.
  15. joeheg

joeheg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I made the mistake of having my wife call Barclays for the US Airways card. She is working for a nonprofit and has very little personal income now. She was denied even with excellent credit. When calling it took for them to ask about her retirement savings and she was approved ASAP. if you are new to the game and have good credit, a reconsideration call should be no problem.

Kalboz likes this.
  16. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most of my calls have been simple enough. Once I got refused on the first call (for a business card) and had to work up the courage to do it again, kept putting it off. In reality I had no trouble and the 2nd call went easily and I was approved. I've also done one successful letter writing to Citi for a CitiBusiness AA that was successful. Work up your courage and do it.

Personally though I don't have my wife do these, I just let them decide. Usually the pending has turned into a card showing up in the mail. Its possible she'll miss out at some point.

17. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've found the Chase folks to be very reasonable to deal with. When applying for business cards I do find them a bit uninformed about basic business forms, etc. But, I always find them polite and professional. I've always found the straight forward approach with them works, just explaining why I want a new card for the benefits or if it's for a separate business.