What to read besides skymall?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by lancexfang, Jun 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lancexfang
    Original Member

lancexfang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Proud Kindle/iPad owners, nothing to see here – move on please.

For competent in-flight sleepers, all the power to you. I’m jealous because I can’t get much shut-eye at all on an airplane. Go away.

So here is the question, what do you think is a good magazine to read up in the air?

I love to read non-fictions and used to carry them with me. But two of them make a heavy backpack on top of my laptop. And it's a challenge when one is seriously sleep deprived to try to read anything heavy.

Then it comes to magazines. New Yorker or Economist doesn’t cut it. I might as well just read books.

Time is great – but it’s sort of light in volume and I tend to finish them way too quickly sometimes before we reach the cruising altitude.

People and all its lowlier imitators are great guilty pleasures. But that’s for a 5 minute glance pre-flight. They can’t sustain 10+ hour flights. They do get boring too. Plus, what does it say about my image as a self-conscious socially awkward married middle aged man? For the stares I’ll get, I should just pick up a Maxim

Fortune and Business Week seems to do it for me. But it’s all business.

Please, don’t mention Conde Nast Traveler, or Departure, or Webflyer. I do like reading them. But I can’t do it sitting in 56B. It feels wrong that someone can travel in style, when my company doesn’t like to pay for it.

I haven’t tried Vanity Fairs. Maybe that’s it?

So here you go: what magazines should I consider for my next trip? The website says it’s 25 hours total in duration. Somehow in my brain that feels like 250 hours. Help please.

P.S., I know there is channel 9, IFE and Wi-Fi all that. I just can’t seem to fill all the 250 hours with these alone.

Mapsmith likes this.
  2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure what else I can suggest. I mostly read non-fiction, and I take a WSJ and Economist on most flights. Each lasts 1-1.5 hours, and, really, the longest story I've ever seen in either was about three pages. You complain about Time and People about being short and full of fluff but... yeah, that's what they are. If you want something longer, go for The Economist or New Yorker. There are other serious magazines out there, too, but I don't see how they would be much better if you already think The Economist is equivalent to a book. I disagree with that.

And what magazine is going to last a 10 hour flight? I think you really need a book for that.

3. lancexfang
    Original Member

lancexfang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Point taken. I exaggerated a little, maybe :) Writing wise, somehow Economist does weigh on me. New Yorker carries a self-deprecating tone with it that I like. But don't know why - after 24 hours eyes wide open, the words always start to become smaller and smaller as every minute passes by, and we haven't landed yet still...

4. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope, not gonna do it. Why on earth aren't you considering some sort of e-reader?

jmrich1432 likes this.
  5. lancexfang
    Original Member

lancexfang Silver Member

Status Points:
    is there a giveaway Randy is doing that I'm not aware of that I can actually win?

6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some people really don't like them. I hate e-readers (not just my iPhone, but also the Kindles and Nooks I've borrowed from friends). On the other hand, I have two six-foot bookcases that hold just what I've read in the last six years. They do not include academic textbooks, library books, or all the magazines and newspapers I read. So despite being a prolific reader, I will happily carry around 500-1000 page tomes (like when I read War and Peace on a mileage run going SEA-YVR-SFO-LHR-SFO-SEA) if it means I can keep my paper. :p

7. ShopAround
    Original Member

ShopAround Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a magazine junkie and love bringing them on long flights - I can ditch them (usually by offering them to a FA) as I finish them. But most of what I read - Vogue, Elle, Harpers Bazaar - would not be for a self-described "socially awkward married middle aged man." ;)

I do find that Entertainment Weekly makes great plane reading. It's small and light like People but more interesting, IMHO. I also like New York magazine, which usually has enough interesting articles to last me a while. I subscribe to both and when I know I have a long flight coming, I'll just set them aside in my carry-on and save them for the trip.

I do travel with an iPod touch loaded with music and video but really enjoy using flight time to catch up on the magazines I subscribe to.

8. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    While I'm an ardent iPad fan (can you tell?) and have at least 50 books loaded, I as well still love to read things ala magazines. I'm sure eventually I'll get to taking all these by electronic forms, but for now I rarely fly without 5 pounds of magazines in hand. Among those along with each trip depending upon the time of month of travel and their delivery:
    - Sunset Magazine (love the ideas and quick read this mag leaves me, been a reader for 25 years.)
    - The entrepreneur mags: Fast Company and Inc.
    - The biz mags: Fortune and Business Week. I used to do Forbes but like the faster style of these two.
    - Luxe Magazine: Colorado edition (interior and design) Just love the ideas and it has more page tearouts than anything else.
    - Cowboys and Indians magazine: This along with American Cowboy and True West provide me with the reading I need rather than the visuals i get from the other stuff.
    - And usually if traveling it means I was rushing the week and so am behind a few days of newspapers (I prefer to read them as "papers" than as electronic) and will have a few days of Wall Street journal, USA Today and The New York Times and maybe the Denver Post if i haven't read that yet.

4 1/2 Pounds of magazines, left for the airline upon deplaning and 1/2 pound of tear sheets I have with me from the magazines ... and my 50 books on the iPad which no matter if i read them or not weigh the same

However, I'm a big fan of Flipboard and Zite so I'll update those right before boarding so that they are cached with the latest updates to the magazines or e-info i have in my informational channels, things like TechCrunch, BoyGenius, Mashable, etc.

There you have it. Thanks for asking.

9. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    My husband often read the Smithsonian magazine on flights. There does seem to be somewhat of a soporific effect as an added bonus. ;)

10. lancexfang
    Original Member

lancexfang Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess there is good reason to think about an iPad after all...

For all you expert in-flight WSJ readers, any folding/unfolding tips so as not to bother the neighbors?

11. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I have found an very interesting Mag that fortunately comes out before I usually have to make a cross country trip. Although it is essentially a magazine of just advertising, the advertising is written as stories that seem to keep my interest (until I need a nap) It is Travel over 50! Produced by Vacationstogo. Travel site. It quite often details ideas of places to plan my next trip.

I also like Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel Magazine.

12. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Trying to read people's minds is fun. :)

sunseeker and jmrich1432 like this.
  13. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    This took me awhile to master, but everyone does it on commuter buses to NYC:
    http://www.realsimple.com/home-orga...roadsheet-newspaper-10000001160253/index.html

To answer the OP, my favorite magazine is Sports Illustrated, and I like reading Esquire and Vanity Fair, which have enough articles to suck up some time. The NY Times Magazine is frequently interesting too. It's been a long time, but I used to love reading Rolling Stone.

14. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, that's the technique I use! Also especially useful when doing the hotel-issued USA Today crosswords/puzzles :)

Being a car guy, I read stuff like Automobile, Motor Trend, etc. I actually have a couple free subs, including Automobile, right now. I also like National Geographic for plane reading. Otherwise, I usually have a library book with me, as well as work-related reading.

I'm seriously considering a Nook Color, though.

15. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just suck it up and carry the books.

I'm stuck reading academic texts for my work (often published pre-1980 so no hope of getting a digital version), so I'll just lug the 3lb hardcover text with me. I often find it more convenient to carry it in my hand than in my backpack due to the weight of it.

I use the book itself as a "folder" for boarding passes, itineraries, reservation confirmations, etc... Just fold them in half and stick them inside the front cover. So the inconvenience of having to carry something in my hand is sort of made up with the convenience of having all of those travel documents in easy reach at all times.