What to expect

Discussion in 'MUC | Munich Airport' started by KyRoamer, Jun 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I arrive MUC from HEL at 810 on a Friday flying BC on LH2467. I am booked out at 1240 to CLT on LH1428.

What should I expect? Do I have to clear security? Does having a business class ticket speed things up? How early do the shops open and is there decent shopping in terminal 1? Is the LH business class lounge there anything special?

I've never been to MUC. Is there anything at the airport that I ought not miss?

Newscience likes this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although I usually transit Germany on LH through FRA, I've gone through MUC many times, and have found it pretty easy to transit through, due to it's smaller size. As you will be travelling on LH from out of the Schengen Zone into the US, and so you can expect to go through both customs and security, and you may need to go through security another time before boarding the airplane. You can check at the LH business lounge about whether you will need to do this, and should budget additional time accordingly.

I've enjoyed the LH lounges at both MUC and FRA, IMHV they are head and shoulders better than any US-based airline lounge I've visited. O.K., it's not the LH first class lounge, but it's a welcome respite to hanging around the airport. Here's a link to a 2013 review of the MUC LH Senator/Business Class lounge, and I'm sure that other Milepointers can weigh in on your questions:

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatatime/2013/07/19/review-lufthansa-senator-lounge-munich/

KyRoamer likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go through departure passport control first. The business class ticket should get you into a separate line, which may or may not be faster. Then you can go to the LH lounge and have a decent breakfast before checking out the many stores on the way to the gate. The airport is really easy to navigate.

It's not so much the smaller size IMO (the way from the lounge to the typical UA gates tends to be quite long), but rather the fact that it's a relatively new airport that was designed with the current size in mind while Frankfurt is a Frankenstein monster of an airport. Every time I arrive there they seem to have changed the corridors and walkways to wherever I need to go.

Newscience likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have lots of time in MUC and want to go airside, there's an outdoor courtyard, IIRC slightly to the left if you exit the LH terminal and walk toward the Steigenberger hotel [they offer day rates at least sometimes and I think it's possible to use their pool and health club without staying in the hotel] at the terminal, with a grocery store, wine store, convenience store, etc. and a beer brewery and restaurant/beer hall. This is claimed to be the only brewery located at an airport.

In Munich (but not downtown) there's a BWM museum that you can access via public transportation. When StarMegaDo (2?) was hosted by LH at MUC for the European swing, some people researched the details, which I think appear in the discussion thread for that DO here on MP.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    KyRoamer and Newscience like this.