What to expect in First on a TransCon

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by DAS02135, Apr 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What should I expect in terms of service and amenities from a US Air flight in first?

I heard and read a whole heck of a lot of US Air bashing from fliers partial to other Star Alliance partners, I've read there's no longer any form of in-flight entertainment, and the pitch on first class seats is the same as United's economy plus (although with more width). I assume something makes First worth being called First, and I'm hoping some frequent US Air fliers can fill me!

I'm working on a trip for my birthday, and it looks like CO will charge me the same number of miles for flying UA economy plus as it will for US first (different routing).

2. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Beats sitting in the back, that's for sure:
    1. Pre-departure beverage (apparently more consistently served with West crews)
    2. Snack basket
    3. Towel service
    4. A full meal (except on red eyes)
    5. Desserts
    6. As much booze as you want.

desert_gecko and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is the route you'll be flying? that will help us determine what you're in store for. Short F flights tend not to have many extras, but longer F's start getting into meal svc's, etc.

I have had nothing but good experiences in US F - always a friendly crew. I usually fly US F to get me to PHL when flying US Envoy on TATL's to europe. I think people beat on US a bit too much.

RedM3Pilot likes this.
  4. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the quick responses.

The route would be Charlotte to San Fran.

Important question about the booze: Do they have tequila? ;)

5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll get the works. Should have meal service, "open bar", snack tray etc. I'm a scotch drinker myself, can't say if they have tequila or not!

6. MikeLaw
    Original Member

MikeLaw Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure they just stopped supplying tequila when they brought in the new drinks. I also believe that the snack basket is not loaded on flights with meal service.

7. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the great list.

I see the A321s have wifi. Is this free if you're in first? Also, what's the speed like? Fast enough to stream video on something like Hulu?

8. Alex Stevens
    Original Member

Alex Stevens Active Member

Status Points:
    First isn't free in any class - it's $12.95 via GoGo Wireless - sometimes there are promos running (though I don't know of one currently). I have been able to stream Hulu as well as DirecTV, but the connection isn't up 100% of the time and the bandwidth is shared by everyone in the plane, so quality will vary based on use.

9. Mr. Jack

Mr. Jack Active Member

Status Points:
    According to their website they still do!

10. Gogo

Gogo Z Representative

Status Points:
    Because you are sharing the connection with rest of the plane, we do not allow streaming video services like Hulu. Short clips from YouTube will work, but if you want to watch full length movies, we recommend downloading your content before you get on the plane.