What to Expect in F and J from SFO to JFK?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Explore, Aug 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've traveled on UA's p.s. service many times, in all classes of service. These days it can be a tired product, and the crews are variable. F flat seats aren't that great, and are due to be phased out.

How does AA's hard and soft product compare from SFO to JFK, in business and first? What do you get in F that you don't in J?

Thanks.....

NYBanker likes this.
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're on a 767-200 (three class), the business class seat is a recliner style with footrest and you'll get a personal video unit. These aircraft have wi-fi. I haven't been in F on this aircraft. I think the only real difference between first and business meals might be an extra salad or appetizer.

If you're on a 767-300 (two class), the first class seat reclines to a sleeper position at a slight angle (I sleep fine with that and a nice pillow but others do complain about slipping down the seat). It has a double tray so that you could have your meal directly in front of you while watching a movie on your laptop behind your meal (I think this is a great feature). You'll also get a video unit. These aircraft do not have wi-fi. If you have a window seat it's about impossible to get out without asking the occupant of the aisle seat to put the footrest portion down. No clearance at all to get around them when they're in sleep mode.

The video players are due to be replaced with Samsung tablets later this year.

I have photos of some of the meals and seats HERE.

One of the nicer benefits would be access to the Flagship Lounge at JFK (PHOTOS) if you're in paid F (F or Z class) on a three-class aircraft. Other first or business fares would get you into the Admiral's Club there (two of those). AA also had a brand new Admiral's Club in their new T2 location at SFO.
    http://www.aa.com/i18nForward.do?p=...obileUAFlag=AA&v_aadvNum=WDV3192&v_aadvTier=E

3. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    tom911's really done a great job lining it up. One thing I'll add is that the F seat on the 767-200s are really the most comfortable airplane recliners in which I've ever sat. Of course if you're on a red-eye you'll likely prefer the flat NGBC seats of the 763 to get some good sleep, but otherwise if you're like me you may prefer the small cabin feel and wide, comfortable seats of F on the 762 to the considerably larger F cabin on the 763 with narrower seats.

One correction to Tom's post above: not all other first and business class transcon fares permit Admirals Club access. F & Z on a two class aircraft, and J & U on a three class aircraft will permit AC access, otherwise it would have to be via alternative means (membership, AmEx platinum, oneworld Sapphire or Emerald on any airline but AA, day pass, etc.). The majority of paid business and first fares do not book into F or J as these are full-fare buckets, so unless you've bought one of those unrestricted buckets or are redeeping miles, you'll need to find an alternative means of access.

tom911 likes this.
  4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for correcting that. Hazard of posting before I went to bed.

5. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the detailed rundown. I would be redeeming miles, and three-class saver F (Z class) seems to be much more available than saver business. The added miles appear reasonable especially for westbound travel, because of the Flagship Lounge. Catering sounds pretty similar between F and J cabins.

6. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    The added miles are probably worth it, but if it were me it wouldn't be the FL that tips the scale. It's really just an Admirals Club with self-pour alcohol and a few hot and cold snacks out. IMO, BA's business class lounges at LHR are generally nicer and have better selections of food and alcohol than the AA's FLs in the USA. OTOH, the F seat is very comfortable, and the intimate feel of the 762's F cabin make a few extra miles worth it to me.

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tenmoc likes this.