What to expect in an Andaz?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by MSPeconomist, Sep 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll soon be staying in an Andaz and I don't have a firm sense of the brand standards or what the image is supposed to be. I think it might be Hyatt's version of W hotels, hip and trendy but not cheap, so more upscale middle aged folks than the young and trendy, unless they're quite wealthy. There also seems to be a similar "living room lobby" concept, but the Andaz version seems closer to a hotel lounge to which everyone is invited.

Is this correct? And do I understand the following policies and details correctly?

Don't look for a front desk. Staff hanging out in the lobby/lounge perform check in duties from portable terminals.

Free breakfast (buffet in restaurant?) for Diamonds.

Free minibar snacks and nonalcoholic beverages for Diamonds.

Free drinks (including wine) in the lobby living room during afternoon and evening hours. Self-service?

Free appetizers in the lobby living room during early evening hours. How substantial is the food? Hot and cold choices? Can it be a light supper after a large and late airplane lunch?

Coffeemakers in all rooms, including coffee supplies at no charge?

Bathrobes in all roooms?

No slippers in rooms except perhaps overseas?

Nice toiletries in bathrooms, in individual packaging rather than massive dispensers (like the ones for shampoo fixed to shower walls)?

Showers rather than bathtubs?

In room safes?

Self service ice machines on floors?

Turn down service standard? What do they do?

Newspaper delivery? Choice offered at check in?

Anything else I should know?

jbcarioca and Quasiconvexity like this.
  2. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it varies a little by which Andaz you are planning to visit. Answers below (based on my experience visiting all Andaz properties in the US).

NorFlyer, DCtrAAveler and jbcarioca like this.
  3. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Andaz Wall Street has an actual espresso machine in its lobby - so you can request any espresso-based drinks for free. If I remember correctly, they also offer pour-your-own water, sparkling water, and OJ. Not sure if wine is self-serve, but they pour me one upon check-in.

Regular rooms at Andaz 5th Ave only have showers, I believe, but the ones at Andaz Wall Street do have tubs. Huge and deep tubs I should say :) Though beware that the bathroom glass wall is see-thru in king rooms.

I've always gotten one. They put it in a proper fabric bag and hang it on the door. I've always been asked for my preference. In several stays, I've gotten two bags- NYT in one and WSJ in another.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for starting this MSPeconomist. I have the same questions, having not stayed in any Hyatt property for many years. I am not sure i even still have an account with them.

We must be going to the same place.:confused: Because the OW Mega DO hotel sponsor is Hyatt I am thinking about possibly changing soe of my allegiance from SPG, Hilton, Accor and LHW, so I have quite a few questions, most of which I am finding answers for elsewhere in this Forum.

Do any of you have a perspective on the West Hollywood Andaz, just to make the question slightly more specific?

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  5. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'll add on to the correct information above.

All guests get free internet (Wifi) - not just Hyatt Elites

Andaz Weho is all showers even in the "regular" suites - these have 2 bathrooms (both with showers) since these suites were created from 2 rooms after the remodel - so only perhaps the Sunset Suite (think Presidential) could have a tub.

Yes, turndown is done.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a small separate thread on the Andaz West Hollywood which didn't answer any of my questions.

For newbie Hyatt information, the thread in the SMD3 subforum in Community Center is a good starting place.

At one point, Hyatt was clearly my favorite chain (partly because I liked their toiletries and partly because their staff always seemed great: helpful, polite, and extremely cordial without being overly and inappropriately friendly) but several bad stays in Washington DC at Convention Center made me lose enthusiasm and the chain's footprint simply isn't that big, although it's growing with all of the new airport and suburban Hyatt Place properties. I was Diamond as recently as 2008 but hadn't stayed since them until SMD3. Just before that, I called and discovered that my account was still active

DCtrAAveler and jbcarioca like this.
  7. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thats interesting - I had no idea they offered turndown. Good to know!

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I like the Andaz WeHo a lot and have always had good experiences here. If you can get a room facing the Sunset strip, the views are nice and we have enjoyed many relaxing breakfasts enjoying the view. The breakfast at RH used to be excellent but the buffet that has replaced it now is not that great (still above average though). RH in general is a good restaurant. The gym is small but has nice big windows looking down to the strip. Parking is expensive at $36 (IIRC) and not many other great options nearby. The rooms are nice and have a rock music aesthetic to them given the history of the place.

I also like the candied walnuts they keep in my room as a welcome gift every time (always with a handwritten note)!

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well your post leads to my questioning this - since you've obviously been there a few times before. At any rate, turndown is now part of the T&Cs at least for Diamonds.

I have not been there since Feb of this year. RH was excellent but the chef has departed so not sure how it is now - breakfast is also a bit unclear at this point (they have (had) a Poached Egg dish that was amazing with truffles & foie gras) since the Diamond breakfast seems to be the buffet and not the "entrees" which makes no sense to me since the buffet is actually more expensive than an entree, juice, coffee.

The staff at the "front desk" seems to be a bit haphazard ranging from clueless to pretty good. The morning after the Hyatt sponsored event back in 3/09 that I setup, they claimed to me that they weren't part of Hyatt when I asked that the breakfast charge be removed!!!

Quasiconvexity and jbcarioca like this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all this information. It is more current and useful for me than was the information posted on the Master Thread.

11. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice to have some sense of what to expect at the WeHo Andaz for the OWMD launch party. I'm not a Hyatt customer, usually, but will obviously be giving them some business as a Do sponsor. Always good to have some 'ground truth' before trying something new :)

12. sealiz
    Original Member

sealiz Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're staying at the Andaz Fifth Avenue in NYC - have no expectations. That way, you will not be disappointed. Loved the WeHo location; the one in San Diego had some of the laziest staff.

13. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Andaz San Diego has a night club on the roof and basement. On the weekends it turns into a party hotel. If you want to sleep before 2 am on the weekends, this is not the hotel for you. At this property the diamond breakfast is either in the restaurant or room service which is a nice touch. I am not sure if that is standard for all Andaz properies or not.

RichardInSF and jbcarioca like this.
  14. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have had room service breakfast at all Andaz properties (as a Diamond) without any hassle.

jbcarioca and ryandc99 like this.
  15. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like all service at an Andaz, don't expect turndown to happen regularly. Don't expect them to remember to deliver the newspaper every morning. Don't expect to find an available "host" (desk clerk) without frequently having to wait a long time. Don't expect to find window coverings that keep the room dark once the sun comes up. Don't expect them to pass your requests on to hotel management even if you specifically ask them to.

Do expect them to call a room a suite that is not a suite, just a larger regular room. Do expect them to ignore or refuse upgrades to diamond members under most circumstances, even if available.

The Andaz mini-chain is an fancy limited service hotel with an attached restaurant. Andaz hotels are not luxury hotels. They are not even the next step down; the room stock (except for the absence of blackout drapes) might be but the service definitely isn't.

As always, I look forward to your comments and emails!

sealiz and roadwarrior365 like this.
  16. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's exactly what I am thinking and the reason I never stay at them.

17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, in Starwood-speak, an Andaz is basically an aloft with W rooms and a restaurant in addition to the bar, but otherwise not a W?

18. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't say that - IMO Andaz is more of a W with more "grownup" clientele who is a little bit less trendy. aloft to me is more of a trendy Hyatt Place (locations in suburban areas are more comparable). Andaz is probably "near-luxury" - certainly not Park Hyatt level of polish in service particularly.

I've stayed at 2 Andaz (West Hollywood and 5th Ave) and find them quite nice (especially the hard product of the rooms) with a YMMV level of service. I've also stayed at 2 Ws (Times Square and FLL) and find them to be annoyingly hip (although in FLL I got a nice 1 BR suite in the back tower which was very nice). Andaz 5th Ave and W Times Sq was back to back and the W felt like a budget property after the Andaz.

19. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Having stayed in a number of Ws, I think the Andazs are usually on par with some of the nicer Ws (at least in North America). Given that the Andazs offer free minibar snacks and breakfast (for Diamonds) I usually prefer staying at an Andaz esp when the W in the location isn't great (eg NY). I think some of my favorite Ws (South Beach, Westwood, Santiago) would probable outrank the Andazs though.

20. Stealth Traveler
    Original Member

Stealth Traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would say the amenities of the Andaz make it closer to a W-style hotel--I would say on average (if you like Ws and many people just don't like that style as noted numerous times in other forums), the Ws are nicer than the Andaz properties, but the Andaz perks make it great substitute. IMHO. Definitely more upscale than Alofts, though. I definitely agree with you on the location making the difference--lots of SPG properties in San Diego, including a W, but I'd stay at the Andaz there every time.

RichardInSF and Quasiconvexity like this.