What to expect at IC Presidente Cancun

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Skyraider, Jun 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Skyraider

Skyraider Active Member

Status Points:
    I have an upcoming stay at IC Presidente Cancun, booked in Club King. What can I expect in terms of upgrades etc as a IC Gold Ambassador? According to the website there are both Club rooms and Club IC rooms. Will I get just a nicer club room or do I have a chance to get a suite? If all i can expect is a club room should I consider saving 40 bucks a nite and go for a deluxe room instead since I would certainly be upgraded to club anyway?
    Any recent experiences from the property?

man on the move. likes this.
  2. studio253
    Original Member

studio253 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a RA. My wife and I had a wonderful stay here. We got upgraded to the club floor which has balconies. We received club access and absolutely wonderful service. The food was great and very reasonably priced. The shrimp tacos were great!!

Have you gone on your trip yet?

man on the move. likes this.
  3. Skyraider

Skyraider Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Go an UG to a junior suite (from Club).

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can I assume correctly that you both booked revenue stays, (non award nights) ?

5. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    it depends. i would call the hotel and ask.

6. Skyraider

Skyraider Active Member

Status Points:
    Yeah. Revenue stay. Service was excellent after they recoginzed you were elite.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, as an Plat/AMB, I booked a few categories higher than the lowest priced room, in no way did I expect a huge upgrade (especially as it was high season), as exepcted I did receive a single class upgrade from the category I booked. My complaint centers around the quality of the room I was put in, a shabby re-painted dorm room is what I would equate it to where the painter cut corners. For a non-paint instance, there was a block of wood used as a wedge to hold up my shower curtain rod as the rod that was purchased wasn't long enough to go the length of the tub/shower (I don't expect to see that in a HI let alone an IC). Also, the windows facing the ocean were horribly scratched, so bad that it looked as if they were fogged over.

The highlights of the resort for us, were two things: 1) pool service was generally very good 2) the main restaurant's food quality & price for dinner were very good.

But I'm a cheap frugal guy, so searched out some ways to save us some $ on our stay. Across the street & 1 block to the right from the IC is a strip mall with a grocery store (for cheap booze & water).

This strip also has some food stalls that are well worth visiting:

a pork tacqueria, all different cuts of pork offered, for only 15 pesos a taco, they have two types of salsa to choose from & onions & cilatro if you wish

a seafood stall serving fresh made ceviche & fish or shrimp tacos, 23 pesos a taco, 4 different types of sauces (tamarindo, spicy red mayo, spicy tartar, reg mayo). Ceviche is made fresh.

a sandwich place called ty-coz which serves DELICIOUS fresh & some hot sandwiches (most in the 55-80 peso range).

You will have a very tasty & cheap lunch or dinner!! These places are always open for lunch but sometimes the seafood stall would shut down by 6 or 7pm. Grocery store had some late hours.

bk3day and Skyraider like this.
  8. Skyraider

Skyraider Active Member

Status Points:
    "a pork tacqueria, all different cuts of pork offered, for only 15 pesos a taco, they have two types of salsa to choose from & onions & cilatro if you wish
    a seafood stall serving fresh made ceviche & fish or shrimp tacos, 23 pesos a taco, 4 different types of sauces (tamarindo, spicy red mayo, spicy tartar, reg mayo). Ceviche is made fresh."

Both highly recomended.

bk3day and Sweet Willie like this.
  9. studio253
    Original Member

studio253 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was revenue but using the new type free weekend night certificate.

Sweet Willie likes this.