What to do with leftover dividend miles?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by matt2k44, Oct 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. matt2k44

matt2k44 New Member

Status Points:
    So, i have 10,000 miles that expire in a couple months.

What are my options at this point? I don't want to signup for another CC, and i'd rather not buy anything to get more.

Is there any way I can sell these, or spend the miles on products besides magazines?

Thanks for the help

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have AA miles? Eventually they'll merge into one account, so they may become more useful if you can keep the account alive long enough. Perhaps a dine will do it? Or a car rental credited to the account?

Counsellor and flyforawg like this.
  3. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go the dining option. It's easy enough to find a participating restaurant. Have a real meal or just a light bite. Any amount of points will restart the timer.

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    As mentioned above, they'll eventually become AA miles. Do something small (dine, buy an iTunes song through their shopping portal) and extend them.

5. matt2k44

matt2k44 New Member

Status Points:
    I guess i dont forsee ever getting 15K more, as I don't really fly usair much.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But again, if you have AA miles, the US miles will become part of your AA account.

daninstl and Newscience like this.
  7. matt2k44

matt2k44 New Member

Status Points:
    Right, I've never flown AA ever so I'm not sure that helps me :D

8. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. matt2k44

matt2k44 New Member

Status Points:
    That's probably the route I'll end up going.

10. DealsRock

DealsRock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget points.com. Transfer in 1 mile from another program to push out the date. Or, transfer the US Airways out to get some residual value.

11. matt2k44

matt2k44 New Member

Status Points:
    What do you mean transfer the usair out to get residual value?

12. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would extend them cheaply and just hold them for the time being. You never know when a transfer deal will pop up. Otherwise I'd just donate them as mentioned above. I think AA has different donation partners so you could extend them and donate them under the combined program next year also. You could try selling them through various ways as your not worried about your account getting shutdown it sounds like. Bulletproof :)

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have no experience with selling miles "though various ways", but I have my doubts that there is much demand through brokers for buying a chunk of 10,000 miles, since the buyer wouldn't be able to consolidate them (cheaply at least). What can you really get for 10,000 miles that would be worth the hassle and risk?

points.com lets you trade (legally and for a fee, probably not worth it) with others. But they also allow you to exchange between your own programs. The exchange rate is typically bad, but if your alternative is to abandon the 10,000 US miles, perhaps the 1976 Delta miles or the 3953 Hawaiian Miles or 2965 Jetblue points (some of the options shown for me; there are many others) may be a good alternative to abandoning/donating and getting nothing.

daninstl likes this.
  14. AAdam_flyer

AAdam_flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you like to read magazines you can buy a subscription using your miles. Otherwise, donating them to charity is a very generous option!

15. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, you're not based in the USA, and a free one-way AA flight (12.5K domestic, 20K to Europe offpeak) is completely useless to you, as is anything else in their award chart outside the USA?

I've managed to turn a pretty puny amount of AA miles into interesting things over the years, but hey, whatever works for you...

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.