What to do with a 12 hour layover in BKK - Enjoy Business Class Lounge or Explore the City?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by lrluis, Apr 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. lrluis

lrluis Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never been outside of the Bangkok Airport and this might be my first chance to see the city.

At the moment, my fiancee and I have a room reserved at the Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong. Is it worth our time to go into the city for such a quick trip? We want to get some authentic Thai food and had our hearts set on trying those crazy foot massages, but I also don't know if the spas run all night. I arrive at 7:30pm on May 21st and leave at 7:40am the following morning.

One thing to note is that we're also flying Business and it's my first time traveling through here in J. I hear there's some good stuff to experience in the airport if we decided to stay there instead. Do business class passengers also get free massages like first class travelers? And are there beds or private rooms in the business lounges?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or words of wisdom.

2. Santander

Santander Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm no expert on BKK but on a 12 hour layover I'd definitely leave the airport, at the very least to an airport hotel. Your times sort of suck but I'm sure it'd be better than staying at the airport all night. Not sure I'd spend the money for the Renaissance for a 12 hour layover though, even if I had Marriott status. There's decent hotels like the Park Plaza Soi 18 which are way cheaper and is sufficient for one night. I'll let someone else give you suggestions on the what to do/where to go part.

If you're departing on TG the next morning, you can access the Royal Orchid Spa and get either a neck/shoulder massage or a foot massage (which could cross the foot massage from your list, actually).

perryplatypus and lrluis like this.
  3. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The lounge is just a room with stuffed chairs and food. There aren't any beds. There's a transit hotel at BKK, but it's pricey. Go enjoy Bangkok, and sleep on the following flight.

[insert Chess line.]

4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    the lounges DON'T stay open 24 hours -they close not sure when and don't reopen until 5:30ish. the thai airlines free massages are limited by appointment -and I'm not sure if they start early in the morning. the last time i flew first class i could not get the "full" first class massage b/c they were booked. if you go into the city by the time u get to the hotel and get checked in there will be massage places open, but maybe not the sort of atmosphere you want to exoerience with a fiance. depending on the length of your flight u might be better off just staying at the airport, if you'll mostly be awake.
    there is a ?novatel right next to the airportwhich is overpriced and lots fof much less expensive places which provide freeish transport if u just want to get a few hours sleep, but they aren't elegant. You can certainly get thai food at the airport and I also think I've seen paid massage places inside(but I wouldn't swear to it) if u can't get the free one.
    you really won't have much time in the city with your time schedule and a lot of stuff closes down around nine (street vendors, shopping centers).

lrluis likes this.
  5. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    The lounges are nice but even if they open 24 hours (which they aren't) they're not a place you'd want to spend 12 hours in. I'd leave the airport and go explore the city. The Renaissance has a great location. TG's Royal Orchid Spa opens at 6 am and if there's no one before you on the waiting list, you can definitely squueze in the 30-min foot or head/shoulder massage.

lrluis likes this.
  6. NEVERhome

NEVERhome Silver Member

Status Points:
    You will love Bangkok from the second you arrive. As you walk out with your luggage the taxis are on the GF, the kiosk on the footpath will sell you a ticket for a cab to the hotel, you will not be ripped off. Your room is in the middle of town. Once you check in, walk up the stairs to the skytrain and turn left and be prepared to be amazed. You can walk for 15 minutes if you like up here away from the traffic, suspended under the elevated trainlines, but if shopping and massages are your thing, the malls on the RHS will surely beckon.. You will not have any time left for anything else, besides you will be tired and the hotel will arrange a taxi back to the airport at 5am.

7. lrluis

lrluis Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've got until the end of this month to use my free Visa Category 4 certificate, so I figured I'd burn it on a nice hotel such as this, since the hotels for my other upcoming trips have already been booked. Thanks for the confirmation on the free massage. We'll try to get to the Royal Orchid Spa early enough to take advantage of this.

Thanks for everyone's input - all great tips. I think I've made up my mind and I will NOT be staying at the airport. I'm hoping that my bags will get checked all the way through. I'd rather not have to lug it around with me.

Santander, cennas and perryplatypus like this.
  8. Santander

Santander Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, I agree Thailand is a great place to use up your free nights. You get great bang for your buck. I'm here at the Four Points right now (SPG Cat 2) and it is totally unlike any Four Points I've ever seen. This place is better than most Sheratons!

If you're planning a visit to the ROS, call TG and try to get an appointment. I had an agent book me a 60-minute slot when I got off my flight today for the 22nd before my flight to HKG.

lrluis likes this.