what to do with 5 extra checked baggage when you stopover?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by kayjay, Dec 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently became a 1K with United and I am planning to go to India this summer with my family of 4 with a stopover at Paris using my award miles. I have availability in Lufthansa with one stop at Frankfurt outbound. I am more interested in visiting Paris, which means I have to book a stopover award reservation from FRA to CDG for a week.
    I usually check 6 baggage to India of which I need only 1 checked baggage for our time in Paris. I don't want to carry those extra 5 checked in baggage along with me to Paris. What is the best way to store the baggage?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The bags will be checked all the way to Paris assuming the OP tickets the award that way ; the OP won't collect them in FRA. And the storage is not cheap, particularly for a full week. Unless there are plans for a mattress run while in Paris just take them into town and leave them in the hotel room.

I definitely would not pay for both the FRA-CDG segment in cash and also the storage fees at FRA for 5 bags * 5 days. That's a couple hundred dollars.

4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    [quote="Wandering Aramean, post: 1092205". Unless there are plans for a mattress run while in Paris just take them into town and leave them in the hotel room.

I definitely would not pay for both the FRA-CDG segment in cash and also the storage fees at FRA for 5 bags * 5 days. That's a couple hundred dollars.[/quote]

I've used that type of technique often -- flown to a city, stayed over night, left a bag or two, gone off somewhere else, then come back to the same hotel I stayed at.

DTWBOB

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The way I read the OP there are two tickets involved - the RT to India with stopover in FRA and a separate award from FRA to CDG. But that could be a wrong interpretation (and yes, I wouldn't ticket it that way either). In any case, it should be possible to check in the bags to FRA, no?

I wouldn't either. But the question was where to store the bags so they wouldn't have to be taken to CDG. :). There are lots of things we may not know. OP is traveling with family. Maybe small children. It might just be easier to have less crap to schlepp to Paris. One bag may allow public transportation from CDG to hotel, six means a cab or two. Maybe cost isn't a concern.

For what it's worth, CDG has luggage storage as well: http://www.bagagesdumonde.com/en/left-luggage/offer

6. kayjay
    Original Member

kayjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    I should have asked this question first: I still haven't completed my booking & my award booking is still on hold - SFO - FRA - MAA. I have to call the agent to book FRA-CDG-FRA award. I guess I can use just the 40000 miles including CDG stopover. I would like my award booking like this: SFO-FRA-CDG-FRA-MAA-FRA-SFO. Is it possible?

If I can do a CDG stopover for a week (family of 4 including 2 kids), I hope to get my baggage at CDG & stay at a SPG or IHG hotel (I have Platinum status with both, using points) closer to the airport & leave my luggage there at the airport hotel & stay at any SPG or IHG downtown hotels (using points) and on day 7 at Paris arrive at the hotel airport & collect my luggage from the airport hotel & check it all the way to MAA.

Does this plan sound fair? That way, I don't have to pay the airport storage.