What to Do When The Hotel Safe Isn't Very Safe

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, May 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || What to Do When The Hotel Safe Isn't Very Safe ||

Safety remains the number ONE concern on travel.

sobore likes this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm ignorant as to why people travel with expensive jewlery unless kept on their person.
    Cash should also remain with the traveler. The money belt can be a very good friend.
    Anything put in a hotel safe is in jeporady. IMO

boondr and uggboy like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Frankly, I would expect the hotel's in-room safe to be a relatively safe place. The one time I couldn't "break" into my own safe (incidentally also at a Hyatt) because I presumably screwed up my standard pin code a manager came, together with another employee as a witness and a contraption to unlock it. I then had to prove that it was me (easy, by showing the passport that was in the safe) who was the rightful occupant of the room.

Regarding jeweleries... yeah, with you.

uggboy likes this.
  4. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was surprised that this wasn't a Christopher Elliot column.
    It seems that he focuses on problems like having expensive jewelry taken from room safes.

BTW is that not why most hotels have Hotel Safes in the lobby where you can put expensive stuff that you want to make sure is absolutely safe. And receive a receipt?

uggboy likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the USA, many innkeeper laws explicitly do not hold the hotel liable for items left in the in-room safe, only stuff deposited in the safety deposit boxes behind the front desk.

Mapsmith and uggboy like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is kind of impractical to use the front desk boxes if you have things like electronics (laptop, iPad, phone), cameras and money and need regularly/frequent access to them. E.g., go for dinner and want to put the DSLR and laptop in the box instead of dragging them to the restaurant.

Liable or not, with key cards and cameras in the hallways it should in many cases not be too difficult to figure out who entered what room at what time. If the property wants to use the innkeeper law as a shield, great... I suspect stories like stories like the one above and reports on tripadvisor do more damage than the $600 lost here. And I am not suggesting that the hotel should just blindly reimburse all losses claimed by guests; that could easily turn the safe into an ATM. But telling the guests to "go find a police station" ?!? If that's what happened, I probably would have quickly rediscovered all the French swear words I once knew while standing at the front desk and discussing this with the FD manager.

wombat18, Mapsmith and uggboy like this.
  7. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never use hotel safes. I travel with minimal to no jewelry and only a small amount of cash for incidentals. Others might have a fancy dinner planned during their trip that certain jewelry would be an ideal accompaniment, so I can understand the frustration (despite being a non-jewelry type of girl). The hotel should have offered a better response and swift action to recover the missing items. They should also ask who is able to access the safes; this should be a management-only access IMHO.

Counsellor and uggboy like this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that the "go find a police station" response was incredibly inappropriate. This in itself was a crime.

uggboy and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  9. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's even funnier is rinky dink safes that aren't even bolted down!

uggboy and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.