What to do on overnight FRA layover

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by yaychemistry, Dec 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello everyone.

So I've been second-guessing the award flights I picked for a trip to BKK next spring and I just noticed that there is F award space open on the TG BKK-FRA route which is reportedly the 77W leased from Jet Airways with the suites. The only FRA-NYC awards that I can find are the next day, so we would have 12-16 hours in FRA overnight. Currently, we're booked BKK-ICN-JFK in J on TG and OZ.

I'm trying to convince my GF that its worth changing our award return to go through FRA, but she's entirely against that, because it would take longer to get home (due to the long layover). I figure if I can convince her FRA is worth seeing then she'll let me change the routing.

While I'm always excited to see a new city, I have no clue what there is to see in FRA. I'm hoping the MP community can help give me ammunition to convince her. So are there there any must-see things to do or restaurants that can be done in a 12-hour window?

Unfortunately, there's no LH F space to NYC so the FCT/FCL isn't an option :(. Although if we fly back on the LH 744 in C then there's probably a ~0.1% chance we get the 748 subbed in :)

Thanks!

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If there's no award space FRA-NYC check routing through MUC, DUS, GVA, or ZRH if you can add a segment. Personally, I'd prefer to catch the last flight out FRA to MUC, DUS, ZRH, or GVA and stay at any of those overnight instead (No FCT or FCL at DUS though so probably a last option unless you do FRA-DUS-EWR the next morning and overnight in FRA).

yaychemistry likes this.
  3. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    Alas, no LH F on any routing that I can find, so no FCL/FCT... but I suppose I can live without a rubber duck. I'm still half-tempted to take LH C for the 1 in a million shot of them subbing in the 747-8i. But who knows what the initial plans for that plane will be.

But sadly, she's more opposed to adding a segment than doing an overnight... There's UA F space from FRA if I route through ZRH or BRU. Won't be able to overnight in ZRH, but BRU is a possibility... It will be an uphill battle to convince her though.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have done overnight layovers in FRA a few times on the way to India.

Frankfurt has a lot of museums. http://www.frankfurt.de/sixcms/detail.php?id=5021811

If you've never been in Germany, just walking around downtown might be interesting, too. Just watching people is something I enjoy while traveling to foreign places.

There are a number of old restored buildings left around the Roemerberg in downtown.

The Paulskirche has a very interesting exhibit about the development of Democracy in Germany.

http://gogermany.about.com/od/sightsandattractions/tp/frankfurt_best_things_to_do.htm has more ideas.

Heidelberg isn't very far and you could go there by rental car or train and join lots of American and Japanese tourists exploring that scenic town, though I think I'd probably just stay in Frankfurt if it was me.

Seacarl, JohnDeere19 and yaychemistry like this.
  5. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's a good zoo, lots of museums and a street of restaurants nicknamed "Fressgasse" ("pig out street"). There are worse places to spend a day.