What to do in GRU?

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Wandering Aramean, Apr 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've got a 12 hour layover coming up on Sunday. What to do?

Hire a car and tool around? Head out to the beach? Hire a guide for the day?

Any suggestions are welcome.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hired a guide with a car for the day. I asked the guide (a university professor) to show me the Sao Paulo that she loved not the Sao Paulo for tourists. She gave me a tour of the various areas from the most ritzy to the safe favellas with very good commentary. It was the best $100 spent as she also dropped me off at the airport.

Note: Beware of evening traffic heading to the airport. It can be extremely challenging in the rain and challenging at the best of times.

jbcarioca and Wandering Aramean like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Can you share the name/email of the woman you used? PM/Conversation would probably be best. Sounds like a great option.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know of taxi driver/guides but I know several who have done that with the 'special taxis' that are arranged through airport kiosks, and everyone seems to have liked them. They can be expensive.

5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    For those that are food lovers.... GRU is a good place for fine dining. I havent been there for a long time now (5 years) but from what Ive been reading about the South American Culinary Scene as of late, things are looking good for foodies in Sao Paulo. Perhaps the one drawback is that prices are not exactly bargain.... but, the food will be excellent.

jbcarioca... Im sure you can add some detail here...? what are the latest top places to visit and I will assume one can easily drop US$150-200 per head at the higher end places, or...?

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.restaurantekinoshita.com.br/

Sampa is the tird largest Japanese city, only Tokyo and Osaka have more Japanese. This is a seriously excellent Japanese restaurant in a city stuffed with excellent choices. $200 per head may make it here unless you are indulgent with the wine and sake lists.

http://rubaiyat.com.br/restaurantes/figueira-rubaiyat

this place is aprt of a small restaurant group. It has an abiance and food that make it a great experience for a short-time visitor. The name Figueira Rubaiyat comes from the restaurant and the fig tree taht dominates the restaurant. There are choices of lots of fish not seen elsewhere, feijoada Wed and Sat and a good vairiety of other goodies. The prices are modest in comaprison with many places, you can get out under $100 per person if you've a deft touch with the wine list.

There are tousands of other choices including ones, like Restaurante Fasano, that will cost much more than Gaucho's range, and they serve very pricy italian wines for the msot part. Go there if you can afford it and if you really want to go where the neauveau riche blow their money. It is superb.

if you have specific desires we can find good choices for you, including myriad inexpensive but excellent Lebanese and northeastern Brazilian places. There are lots of excellent Gaucho carnivorian places too, but they're normally fairly pricey. The same stuff, same quality can be had in Buenos Aires for 1/3 the cost, much as it hurts my nationalistic self to admit it, and then you'd have Gaucho to advise you on the ebst wines to have.:)

7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ive heard about Fasano.... and in my view, Gero (which I understand belongs to the same group) is the better option. Not as exclusive, but from my previous visits I think its a solid balance of happening place, good food and good service (and good people watching).

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm going on my own so unlikely to polish off a bottle of fine wine solo, but I appreciate the suggestions and the price range. It will also be a Sunday and I have to leave before dinner time to get back to the airport so probably not so much with the fine dining experience.

I'm definitely interested in some of the local dining options that I might be able to do for lunch or a late afternoon snack. That seems more up my alley. And I'll be in BsAs in August for an overnight that should give me the opportunity to do a meatier experience. :D

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like Gero in both Sampa and Rio. I generally go elsewhere because their prices are always a bit higher than the quality justifies, IMO. Lots of people think otherwise, they are packed most of the time, and their food is excellent. The wine list is mostly Italian.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    A quick report (more to follow when I'm coherent, which may be never :eek:) on what I did today...

There was a huge music festival this weekend so a few things were closed down but that was more than made up for by the awesome music and entertainment on display all over town. I dined at the Mercado Municipal and had a great Pernil sandwich and chopp. I also saw the Cathedral (and the rave in the park out front) and Parca Republica. Walked a bit through town and generally enjoyed myself.

Looking forward to passing out on the flight home and, more importantly, getting a shower at EWR when I get back to town. The showers at the RCC are apparently not working and the JJ lounge won't let non-JJ pax use the showers. :mad:

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points: