What to do for 3 hours in Maui?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Wandering Aramean, May 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be at OGG for about 3 hours and don't want to just sit at the gate. What can I do to get out of the terminal and see something useful?

perryplatypus likes this.
  2. JosephMay

JosephMay Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dude I want to be you! (sorry I can't add anything useful)

3. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure about seeing something useful without a car, but you could walk over to Kanaha Beach Park.

4. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's tough. The airport is in the town of Kahului and not really convenient to anything without a car. I have also found their security to be extremely slow...

5. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's not a lot to do at this airport or in the immediate area. You may wish to take a cab into the town of Wailuku. (It will cost you about $20 one way.) It's an interesting old Hawaii town to walk around, with some good restaurants.

If you're going to be there on a Saturday morning, you could go to the Maui Swap meet for some ono (delicious) Hawaii style food. It's on the grounds of Maui Community College in Kahului. If you're there on a Friday at lunch time, there's a farmer's market on the same site. (Sometimes students from the school's culinary institute will have a booth.)

If you are crunched for time but need to buy something, there is the Queen Kaahumanu Shopping Center in Kahului, (about a $13 cab ride o/w) but from my perspective, it's just a typical mall.

And of course there are always the lei stands at the airport...buy a plumeria lei (very inexpensive) and enjoy the scent of the islands all the way home.

Enjoy your visit!

6. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could sweet-talk the gate agent into switching you to a later flight back and thus more time to spend in Maui.

7. BothofUs

BothofUs Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are about 9 miles from Mama's Fish house, if you want a really great meal, with a wonderful view of the ocean and maybe even watching windsurfers while you're there. http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/
    We were just there a month ago, great place! Too bad you don't have more than 3 hours on Maui though :-(

8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you really connecting at OGG?

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not actually an option given my itinerary, I don't think. Might not stop me from trying, but the overall itinerary most likely won't support such.
    Yes.

perryplatypus and NYBanker like this.
  10. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only 3 hours??? Well, you could try to catch a nap and dream about spending more than 3 hours on what I think is the best of the Hawaiian Islands :cool:

11. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would recommend taking a cab to Lahaina. There are shops and restaurants there along with a few museums. Three hours is not a lot, but you can see a few things. We are presently in Maui, having arrived earlier today and the traffic is very light.

12. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
  13. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be very difficult to go outside of Kahului. There is no priority screening checkpoint, meaning you will need to plan for at least 30-60 minutes trying to get back to your return flight. Also, traffic around Kahului is a mess. In a best-case scenario, three hours would be just enough time to get to Lahaina, turn around, and catch your flight without actually doing anything there.

Within Kahului, you could go to a beach, but there isn't much in the way of shopping other than strip malls. I haven't eaten anywhere in Kahului, but I know that there's an L&L Hawaiian BBQ (fast food). Their outlets in California are pretty good.

bobsgt and okrogius like this.
  14. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Getting a car will eat an hour of time, so that's something to account for. You can take a cab into town and walk around - but Kahului isn't that exciting.You could presumably stick to the beach area, or Iao valley area (it's very small but nice).

Pretty much every helicopter tour departs right next to the airport - you should be able to fit in a helicopter ride of the island.

bobsgt and Wandering Aramean like this.
  15. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depending on the time of day that can be up to an hour each way, and an hour for Lahaina really isn't that much time. (And this is neglecting the time to pick up/drop off car, go through security, etc). Even Maalea at 20 minutes away (with harbor/aquarium/good food) is already too far.

bobsgt, Scottrick and perryplatypus like this.
  16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Wasn't planning on renting a car due to the potential lost time; will deal with taxis if I need to leave the premises.

This might be the winning ticket. :cool:

bobsgt, okrogius and Scottrick like this.
  17. bobsgt
    Original Member

bobsgt Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can walk to the Costco from the airport (about 1km) and have a hot dog or a slice of Pizza, cab it down to the beach on Kaahumanu Road (public access between Maui Seaside Hotel and Maui Beach Hotel (about 4km), or if you can ask LIH Prem to come down and pick you up and he'll let you play with his dog Bosco.

Personally, I like okrogius' suggestion of the helocoptor ride. Single seats on day of departure bookings are often listed on craigslist for $75-100 depending on how hungry they are that day usually at http://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/tia/ but sometimes they put it in the General section instead. I am not talking about the ads from people that overpaid for their tickets and now want you to recoup their loss, I am speaking of ads from the tour companies.

Obviously, MrsBobSgt and I would drive down and pick you up if we were not in Chicago this month- we would have enjoyed meeting you in person!

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is ultimately what we ended up doing. It is a bit pricey, even more so thanks to a taxi each way (no rental car due to drinking ;)), but it made for a perfect interlude in the 96ish hours of MRs we were in the middle of. We arrived at the restaurant around 5:45 and sat in the bar area (no reservations :oops:) and had a great meal. The sun was nearly set at 7:10 when we headed back to the airport, stuffed with some phenomenal seafood and tropical beverages.

There ended up being two of us (I didn't realize that when I solicited suggestions originally) so the idea of a single in a helo was less attractive. The cloud cover also made it less appealing.

MissBurrill likes this.
  19. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    for the cost of a drink or two, you could have saved the taxi fare :)

-David

20. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    They take their Mai Tai's seriously at Mama's.

image-4074866273.jpg

Wandering Aramean likes this.