What To Do After 100 Nights?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by EyeOnTheSkies, Jul 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've got a dilemma I never thought I'd have. After taking a new job, I now have 102 nights on the year. So now I have to ask...do I sit back and reap the rewards of having an ambassador and reach 150-175 nights or work on a backup status at either Hilton or Hyatt? The current SPG promo is good enough for me as I'm now earning 9 points per dollar (2 base + 2 plat 75 + 4 promo + 1 AmEx) but I have to wonder if I'd be better off with top tier status at two chains. Or would, given the extreme number of nights, SPG extend plat 75 beyond next year for me considering I'll have at least doubled the qualification for that level? Any suggestions are welcome.

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sit back and reap the rewards! You may be able to status match to another chain for backup.

3. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it depends on your situation. If there are enough SPG properties where you're traveling then stick with SPG and let the points add up!

I have 100 nights this year with SPG and 40 with Marriott. I want to get to 50 Marriott nights (to maintain gold) and then will switch back to SPG for the rest of the year. I do that because two of the countries I travel to have very limited SPG options and those hotels are very, very expensive. So I need a backup. If I could find SPG hotels everywhere I traveled (in my budget) I would scrap Marriott and be 100% SPG.

4. HouseofV

HouseofV Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd say get status matched to somebody else, then complete the challenge they give you (usually a few nights in 60-90 days) and then go back SPG.

Steven Schwartz likes this.
  5. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree completely. If there is a Hyatt you can use, get to Diamond after a mere 25 nights and you will really feel the love! No arguing over what's a Continental Breakfast. That said, we've had some spectacular suite upgrades over the years with SPG and they are still my main chain. But my time as Hyatt Diamond was definitely a step above.

6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem with hyatt as a secondary chain is that it doesn't do a ton to complement SPG. It's a similar program, with some aspects amplified. Same footprint limits, only worse. Similar benefits, only sometimes maybe a bit better. If you have no problem finding a starwood that works almost all of the time, then Hyatt is good if nothing else to offer more options to redeem at, especially high-end.

The other approach is to have a secondary program with substantial differences from your primary with complimentary strengths. Hilton has been this for me (massive footprint, OK benefits, good redemption value at the very top) but the program is continuously dying a death of a thousand cuts, plus mid-tier is very good and easy to get, so I'm reevaluating how much that program is worth focusing on. Marriott and IHG have big footprints also, but I don't really buy into the value of their elite benefit packages.

desamo and ballardFlyer like this.
  7. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    A couple options.
    Hilton: Credit card status. You can get Gold status with the new visa card or Gold or Diamond with the Surpass. Diamond based on spend. It seems you travel a ton and you might be able to switch some spend to a different card. There are also fast track options to Gold requiring only 4 stays.

Status match round robin. Match Marriott this year [actually a challenge], match "x" next, wash rinse and repeat

Let us know where you travel and there are probably other things to suggest. For example, if you are traveling up in Scandinavia, Club Carlson might be a program for you and the Gold match lasts until 2014.

Cheers