What things do you forget on business trips?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by gobluetwo, Nov 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many of us travel for business and, if you're anything like me, forget things on occasion, either forgetting to take it with you or forgetting to bring it back.

EDIT: Of course, not all of us travel for business, or we take personal trips too. Consider this the "what have you forgotten when traveling" thread, not just for business. </edit>

For instance, I've bought a few belts and a couple of neckties on business trips. A co-worker once forgot socks and, there being no socks at the local drug store, made do with double-layered ladies' knee high stockings. I've also forgotten my hair gel, but found that generous portions of conditioner work pretty well in a pinch. I'm also thankful for hotels which stock toothbrushes and toothpaste and razors.

And although not a business trip, I did travel to a friend's wedding once without my dress shoes. A quick side trip and $20 spent at a payless shoe source fixed that!

What have you forgotten?

2. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    This wasn't on a business trip, but I forgot to pack socks once. Had to walk around Philly for a few days in sneakers w/ no socks. Fun times. :)

bananajax likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    My 'business trips' are always for conferences where I give talk(s) and, of course, I would usually leave my talk(s) in a USB drive connected to my widescreen desktop in my office after practice and then I'd realize it after I'd already boarded the plane and sitting comfortably...:eek:

bananajax likes this.
  4. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always seem to be leaving one power/recharge cord or another behind...and these are not easily or inexpensively replaced!

cell phone cord? Check!
    iPad cord? Check!
    laptop cord? Check!
    camera cord? Ch... oops.

5. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had to run out to a Walmart or the like to buy a slip more than once. At least drugstores sell pantyhose.

6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I once forgot my toiletry bag and was staying in a rural area. The mom and pop motel did not have any complimentary toiletries. A 35 minute drive to Wal-Mart followed. :(

7. dale.uark

dale.uark Active Member

Status Points:
    voltage/plug adaptor - just this week.

the right video adapter / dongle for whichever laptop ... HOW many different ones do (different) macs use now?

8. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    HiIslands reminded me that I forgot my laptop power cord once. Fortunately, the hotel (Fairmont) had a nice supply of forgotten power adapters and I now have an extra ;)

Also forgot my blackberry power cord once, but a spare cord was easy to come by (thanks to another hotel).

HiIslands likes this.
  9. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to seem to always forget something, but I've learned to deal with myself. :)

- Toiletries bag. I had it all packed, and managed to leave the whole thing at home. Interestingly, the resulting need to wet shave (the cheapest way to restore shaving capability) switched me back to wet shaving for good - I never went back to electric shaving.
    - Laptop charger. Luckily this was on a short trip and the battery life of the laptop was adequate. If you're going to forget your charger, a Friday-night-to-Sunday-morning trip is not a bad time to do it.
    - Underwear. Yes, really. I handwashed a pair to get through the first night and then hit a Wal-Mart to buy some more. It was more embarrassing than inconvenient.
    - Phone. Strangely I've never forgotten to take a phone on a trip (although I was sure I had once, until I realized that the night before, I'd put it in the back pouch of my laptop bag knowing I'd forget it :) ) but I've forgotten my phone in my hotel room. Luckily I had a US prepaid phone as I'd also been briefly in Buffalo, NY a few days before (this was a Toronto trip) so I called the hotel with it and my normal phone was en route to me before I got home.

How I cope now:
    - My toiletries bag is filled with redundant supplies. It can go in my suitcase the night before I travel, and not wait until the bleary thoughtlessness of a 4:00 am wakeup call.
    - I have spare chargers for my laptop and iDevices in my laptop bag. They never come out, and the bag always comes with me so I can't forget the chargers.
    - Knowing that one day I'll try to forget my passport and/or wallet, I put these things in my bag the night before, as early as possible. I also stick a spare credit card into my bag just in case I have an issue with my wallet (either pre-departure or at the destination).

Jim

10. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I once travelled to a military function in the USA and realized that I had forgotten my military tuxedo in the trunk of my car parked at the airport.
    My spare car keys had first to be retrieved from my house.....and a trip to airport parking to retrieve the garment bag and then Fedex did its magic.......luckily the formal dinner was the next day. :)

11. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hair brushes and umbrellas

I now have many, many of each and can even remember the city where they were purchased.

12. bananajax

bananajax Silver Member

Status Points:
    so many things.

laptop charger, iphone cable, usb cables, toiletries (most times i forget and now have about 10 disposable toothbrushes and little pastes), deodorant and electric shaver (this trip), usb sticks, my notebook(s), business cards, pens.

I routinely forget that I dont need to just pack clothes and my laptop.

13. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    What, he didn't want to go Don Johnson Miami Vice stylin' shoes-with-no-socks? :eek::D

14. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    lol, i guess he could have also tight-rolled his slacks and rolled up the sleeves of his suit jacket!