What terminals are connected airside @ MIA?

Discussion in 'MIA/FLL/PBI | South Florida Area Airports' started by Bay Pisco Shark, Sep 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is impossible to tell from the airport map, except that it looks like there's a tunnel of sorts between D and E.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking at the map and remembering from experience, I believe all gates are connected airside because the Skyride terminal link appears to stop at each terminal. Check this map which shows the transit links between D and E. When are you flying? I'll be there in a week and a half on a layover and can investigate further for you if you like.

jbcarioca and Bay Pisco Shark like this.
  3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm not traveling via MIA anytime soon, but considering making it a connecting point on certain future trips (which may contain AA to LA connections, as well as AA to AA but wanting to use the OW premium lounge, not the AC).

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC there's an airside connector between H and J and between D and E, but I'm not sure about the rest.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    After reading up some more, it looks like the walk between the lounge in D to the lounge in E averages around 10 minutes, so even without transport links you can still get there in a reasonable amount of time. There were complaints since this combined lounge opened about the food, but recent reviews are very favorable of the food and drink selections. If you have any specific questions, please let me know so I can get you the answers when I fly through there soon.

jbcarioca and Bay Pisco Shark like this.
  6. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I think the only remaining specific question (as it looks like I can get between D&E without issue) is if I can get from D to H all airside.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because MIA is still in the process of long term change it can be confusing to describe but it is actually quite simple.
    Concourse D and E are connected airside and share security facilities. Zero problem.
    No other concourses are reachable airside from D and E without using a bus. However there has been a bus that leaves a US Airways gate in Terminal J going to terminal E airside. That bus is NOT shown in any airport diagrams and AFAIK never has been. Most of the people who've used it IME are ones who want to use PreCheck in Terminal D/E then actually fly from J. That is what i have done. I do not know if taht bus still exists, but a US Airways MIA person will know. I wouldn't bet on a call center knowing it. No BP has ever been required to use it AFAIK.

8. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will find out when I get there if you haven't found your answer by then. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    D and E are connected airside. You can connect between them with a walk. The thing to remember is that Concourse D is huge so you might need to use the train that has four stops, all within Concourse D. The train is on level 2 and is plentifully well marked. Once you get to the final baggage claim stop you then exit the train and follow the signs to get to Concourse E. If you're going from E to D it is a simple reverse. No problem.

10. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My layover in MIA is short on the way in, but I'll see what I can find out if time permits for my next flight. Worst case I'll check on my return the next day when I have more time on the layover.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have any more questions, I am at MIA now and have several hours there this evening before my flight boards. If you want photos I can do that also.

BTW, you did not mention if you have access to precheck. If you do security to D/E is very fast. The precheck entry is just to the left of FlAAgship Checkin. On average my total time going through that process at peak South American departure times (6-9 PM) is never longer than five minutes and usually less. The normal process at those times can be as long as 20 minutes or so, sometimes even longer on peak days.

MSYgirl likes this.
  12. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does this mean I'm off the hook? :p

This was his last question that doesn't appear answered: "I think the only remaining specific question (as it looks like I can get between D&E without issue) is if I can get from D to H all airside"

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That last question I will examine when i get to the airport. I do not know whether it still exists or not. I'll try to get you off the hook.;)

14. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The question has been answered above however since you appeared the have missed it ... in a word NO.

15. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ok, maybe I don't "like" your answer as much as I appreciate the answer!

jbcarioca and newbluesea like this.
  16. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, so it appears I did, my apologies. Well then, I shall stroll casually through MIA without a purpose. :(

jbcarioca and viguera like this.
  17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    just in case any question remains. Only D and E are fully interconnected. No airside connection exists between the H, J gates and the D, E gates any more. The last airport 'improvement' eliminated the firmer US shuttle bus.

As NBS says so eloquently, NO!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    MSYgirl likes this.
  18. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, for my 3rd grade brain to grasp this concept - you're saying that there's no way post-security to get from D to J? I am flying to MIA on AA to meet some friends and am arriving 2-3 hrs before they do - and the only club open that I have access to (Lounge Club card)to wait on them (post 10pm) is the LATAM lounge in terminal J. How would I get there?

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You must exit the secure area then go to terminal J and pass through security again. If for any reason you need a boarding pass to go through security an AA agent will give you a BP-like authorization.

servo likes this.
  20. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    F has not been mentioned here. Is there any access from the D/E side (including bus)? It has the "closest" Priority Pass lounge to AA. Also, it looks like I might have more time than I want at MIA - I'm going to be headed there as a conference ends, so I might have 2+ hours to kill. Assuming no AC access (anyone passing through this Saturday afternoon? ;) ), where is a good place (bar/lounge, etc.) to hang out?

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    F is adjacent to E about equidistant from E is to D. There is no bus since its not that far to necessitate one but still a decent walk. Since I am not sure which terminal you are actually flying out of there are some fairly decent bars in D ( Corona Beach Club is one that comes readily to mind) I would not bother with the lounge in F (especially if its the somewhat crappy ex Club America lounge) unless you are actually flying from F.

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It looks like my flight has been leaving from D the past couple of days. I don't want to go landside to go to F.

jbcarioca likes this.