What should we do? Pay vs. redeem

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by UltranerdX, Jul 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. UltranerdX

UltranerdX Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone. A friend of mine is having a relatively shotgun wedding at her parents' place outside of Vegas on October 1st. Flights from the DC area are running about $425 RT right now :( We could redeem on Delta instead for 32.5k (I've looked for various combos of one-way awards, and this is the cheapest redemption option for us). Other than not go to the wedding, what do you guys think I should do? It seems completely ridiculous to pay that much for a flight to Vegas, of all places. Thanks in advance for your two cents!

uggboy likes this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd buy the ticket if your dates are that set. That redemption rate isn't great (DL rarely is), but look around to depart from easily reachable airports (i.e. PHL, BWI, RIC) and see if the cost to get there is less than the cost savings of the ticket...you could also do this for your redemption.

uggboy likes this.
  3. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    That seems high for Vegas, I wouldn't be surprised if the price goes down. But if it didn't, that's not a completely terrible use of Delta miles, I find sometimes it's hard to find awards even at that rate for flights that cost that much. You would be getting at least a cent a mile, not great, but not wasteful.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's more than a penny per DL miles, which some consider good and is better than you can get for gift card redemptions, etc. If you're PM or DM, you could take the award ticket and continue to search, either for a cheaper money ticket or for an award ticket with low in both directions. Even if you're not elite, you might still continue checking to see if anything else comes up which is sufficiently better to be worth the redeposit fee, but that's unlikely unless a fare war happens. If you move fast on the award ticket, you'll probably avoid some taxes.

icurhere2 and CDKing like this.
  5. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I echo MSPeconomist's recommendations (not just as an economist myself). If you have DM status on DL (or PM status and no redeposits used), cash is short, you have plenty of surplus SkyMiles, and you don't need the MQM, I would probably book those tickets now*. If you fly WN even once per year and have the ability to redeposit DL Miles for free, I would also look into WN's fare sales as they come up out of BWI. I live near BNA now but am a Maryland native - there's a reason I used to refer to Sunday afternoon LAS-(anywhere east of the Mississippi river) flights as "my almost guaranteed VDB special" ;)

* I understand those who say "miles are best used for international premium tickets". I use my miles for such but also use my miles on domestic trips (like this weekend).

6. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    To me it depends on how much cash and how many miles you have and what your other future travel plans are. That's not a great value for miles, but if you want/need to preserve cash and you have the miles then go for it! If you were saving your miles for another "big" trip and have the cash handy, then go that route. Basically, don't get too caught up in the defined "value" of the miles, if you need them and you have them, use them and don't look back!

7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another suggestion. I have found several times that the "packages" for hotel and airfare for Las Vegas are quite often less than the price of just airfare. So check with your preferred air carrier about these packages.

8. UltranerdX

UltranerdX Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! There's clearly no "right answer" here, but you helped ease our minds. Fortunately the price ended up dropping about $100 temporarily, so we ended up just paying. :)

Andyandy likes this.