What should my expectations be (Mardis Gras upgrade)

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by crm1712, Mar 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. My first stay as a Plat is tomorrow through Sunday at the W New Orleans on Poydras. There hasn't been any availability on the SPG website for months for any rooms. I booked two Wonderful rooms, and am wondering if I should expect an upgrade because of my status?

What would you expect at minimum? If no upgrades availabile, would you ask politely for breakfast, drink vouchers?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the upgrade isn't available, you're not entitled to any substitute. Of course you can always ask for anything, but I wouldn't even expect the front desk staff to be empowered to give out any additional goodies unless there's a serious problem of some sort and the staff could find it amusing that you're asking. At Mardi Gras time, there's a good chance that someone will be handing out beads in the lobby and the concierge should have up-to-date information on parades and good spots to watch. In the past, I've enjoyed some local events involving dogs dress up for Mardi Gras.

The hotel has probably taken reservations for exactly the number of rooms they have in each category plus an anticipated no show fraction, so I would expect that you will get one of the better ("preferred") rooms in the category you reserved. In the unlikely event that a large group booked a lot of "run of house" rooms (more than the number of rooms the hotel has in its lowest category), there might be upgrade potential, but I don't see this happening at Mardi Gras time. They should be very unlikely to "walk" (send to another hotel) people with SPG status.