What should I do with all these Delta headphones???

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by SC Flier, Apr 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm spring cleaning today. How did I amass so many Delta headphones? Other than hand them out at airports or donate them to Goodwill, what else might I want to do with these?

On one recent trip, I pulled one apart to stretch it across the bathtub for a clothesline. I've sometimes used them while out running or working out. Any other practical (or impractical) uses?

Wurm and DeltaExpert like this.
  2. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can use them to tie a bundle of PC power cords or, even better, of modular phone cables. Makes it easy to throw them all out.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the clothesline idea. This could be handy when travelling.

4. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I've already created a bag full of old phone cords to get rid of. And I am getting rid of several pre-Bluetooth wired headsets for cell phones -- with jacks that are too small for the jack on my current phone.

The neat trick with this was that I didn't actually even tie any knots. I just looped the ear hooks back over the wires.

Wurm likes this.
  5. brfort
    Original Member

brfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use them while running with my ipod. better to have cheap ones that can break and get sweaty than use the nice apple ones.

SC Flier, jmrich1432 and DeltaExpert like this.
  6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I get them, I typically do not use them and, when flying domestic, just give them to someone in Y on another flight so they do not have to pay for them.

7. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, how many was "so many"? ;)

DeltaExpert likes this.
  8. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I typically use a pair of noise-canceling headphones, but I sometimes grab these when I want something more compact and accessible.

8 + 4 extra two-prong adapters.

Perhaps important for the MacGuyverish clothesline trick, I see now that some of their headphones have much thicker wires than others.

DeltaExpert and Wurm like this.
  9. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I first became ExPlat a while back, I started throwing the very cheapo AA earbuds into my computer bag (to use I didn't get upgraded), throwing then into my junk drawer. Even after I bought by Etymotics, I continued to do this out of habit, until I realized that my junk drawer had become a separate junk box. I finally inventoried them, and was shocked (shocked, I tell you :p ) to count over fifty of the little yellow bags :eek:

I took them to work and passed them out for people to use or to give to their kids, and gave the remainder to Goodwill.

10. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've given them to our local elementary school (still in the little bags) so they have some extras for the computers. Every little bit helps with all of the budget cuts going on!!!

11. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the peripheral item is worth keeping, don;t forget that you can buy 2.5mm - to - 3.5mm jack converters (the cheapest ones only supports mono, so buy one that supports stereo if the converter is going to be used for a music player).

SC Flier likes this.
  12. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thats nothing haha

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    On TOBB, there was a guy who claimed to try to sell the plane headphones (on AA?) to other passengers, undercutting sales by the FAs. He said he couldn't understand why the airline would object. Probably a troll.

bakedpatato and DeltaExpert like this.
  14. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice idea.

15. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had dozens of others over the years, and I've given some to extended family around Christmas when I knew they had upcoming travel. But this is what had accumulated in a box in my office for no good reason. (If I had 50, I probably wouldn't have admitted it.)

Excellent suggestion! I'll pass them along to a family member who works at a school.

miles and smiles likes this.
  16. sterno24
    Original Member

sterno24 Silver Member

Status Points:
  17. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    I save all of the extra ones that I have. The ones that I got in FC on Saturday are in my room. They are just the black ones and don't have anything DL on them. I will bring them on future trips with the 2-prong converter.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  18. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

DeltaExpert likes this.
  19. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just found 6 more + 2 more extra two-prong adapters. A couple of these sets have a two-prong plug on the end with an adapter that converts them to a single prong. (Which means that the adapter is useless for regular headphones.)

In the same box of antiques: a battery-powered analog 2.5" handheld LCD TV, a 35mm point-and-shoot camera, and a PalmPilot IIIxe.

20. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with diver90 and gave those we've collected to the local Boys and Girls club.