What routes are the A340-500 100 seat config planes on?

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by daninstl, Nov 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since Singapore ended the longest flights that used the A340-500 with the 100 seat all business layout I assume they shifted these planes over to other routes. What routes do they use them on?

Sorry for such a newbie question but I'm not very familiar with Singapore Airlines.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    SQ got rid of the planes. They no longer fly in that config or for SQ.

3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    SQ sold the planes back to Airbus as part of a trade in deal when they ordered A350s.

While the routes themselves were actually profitable (contrary to much of the media reports), the values on the -500s declined much more than other A340s (which in general have unto themselves performed poorly on resale) due to their limited usefulness.

Airbus really wanted the SQ order on the A350 and solved SQ's residual issue on the A340-500 fleet to get what they wanted.

Win win.

I think SQ really wanted the 350s, as they've topped up their order [2] times since the original order. Feels like SQ played their hand well.

I haven't followed what Airbus did the the -500s. A search of the old SQ tail numbers should turn something up. These planes were built for fewer cycles compared to other A340 variants (part of why the residuals were so soft), so they wouldn't be well suited for regular use.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Tail numbers are 9V-SGA through 9V-SGE. Only SGD is still operating today; it was sold to Las Vegas Sands and now flies under the registration VP-CMS. The other four are in storage.

Several other airlines still fly the 345 but none use it for ULH operations.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What does Las Vegas Sands do with it? Fly high rollers to Vegas?

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yup.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.