What Restaurant Is At The Top Of Your "I Must Eat Here" List?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by diver90, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    .... and perhaps folks who have eaten there can provide a review / opinion.

OK - For me it's Alinea in Chicago right now.

2. tw116
    Original Member

tw116 Gold Member

Status Points:
    le cinq! have been there numerous times and always a new experience.

3. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tell us about it, puleeeze.

4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Colborne Lane - Toronto, Canada. Molecular gastronomy at its finest. Chef Claudio excels at his work, and the service is top notch.

5. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, after spending half a day with Nathan Myrhold in his Modernist Cuisine laboratory I can tell you that MG is something that you can all keep to for yourselves. My last experience was at commerc24 in BCN and there was too much alginate and foams for me.

So far this year, I have eaten at the new Relegade St. Honore, Le violin d'ingres (*), Commerc24 and planning another trip to BCN for April, where we will subject ourselves to another experience of "cutting edge cuisine" at cinq sentits.

Where I am dying to eat? I would like to try Daniel Rose's new version of Spring in Paris, anywhere in Rome, but currently quite "gastronomically tired" and happy for mac and cheese.

lala

6. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I understand completely. I don't care for foams and airs myself but have seen and done some cool things with spherification and encapsulation (Think tomato-basil-garlic bruschetta that explodes in your mouth). Also sous-vide has enabled peace to reign in the diver90 household when preparing certain meats that mrsdiver90 tends to want really dead and I don't.

Can you share anything about spending the 1/2 day with Nathan Myrvhold?

How about Lobster Mac 'n Cheese or Shrimp with Grits? Nothing very molecular about those.

Lalala likes this.
  7. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like Mac and cheese all by itself. The dry stuff with white cheddar, maybe some bbq sauce on the side.

I was invited as part of the International Food Bloggers Conference hosted in Seattle last summer and have seen him speak as well. It was a really interesting experience, but left me wondering if the best thing he could do was spend some time and effort trying to find inexpensive and better ways to feed the world. Just saying. If you are really bored and want to come visit our fair city, you can go to the book launch party organized by the awesome Kim Ricketts.

8. tw116
    Original Member

tw116 Gold Member

Status Points:
    it is just an absolutely amazing experience all around. every bite of food just melts in your mouth. the combination of flavors, the sauces, the presentation, the menu choices are just incredible. the service will not leave you wanting for anything yet is not intrusive. it is an event, not just dinner. it is absolutely a must when in paris!

9. MangoFlyer

MangoFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    I'd love to try El Bulli. Friends that have eaten there have raved about the experience. MiniBar in DC is also up there since I'm planning a trip to DC in the next few months.

10. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    doc and diver90 like this.
  11. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are just too many places that I want to try and will just take forever to get to them because of the cost. However, one that comes to mind right now is Pizzeria Bianco since I tried to go there for the first time this past weekend and they said the wait would be 2-3 hrs.... stupid no reservations. Ended up going somewhere else that was just decent due to the fear of starvation.

12. EndlosLuft
    Original Member

EndlosLuft Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love Spanish Food and live in Barcelona for several years. (Now moved to the DC area). I really like Cerverceria Catalana for Tapas and for like momma used to make no frills just but amazing food La Bombeta.

upgrademe likes this.
  13. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's this little "hole in the wall" Yakitori stand in Yokosuka Japan that I MUST go back to. Best street food ever!

14. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    currently quite "gastronomically tired" and happy for mac and cheese. I couldn't agree more. Back to Basics!

EndlosLuft likes this.
  15. Pegasus
    Original Member

Pegasus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wanted to try French laundry but can never book far enough ahead to get a table

KIXman likes this.
  16. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I loved El Bulli.

The Fat Duck a little bit less so, it was big on theatre but as food it was only actually ok.

One of my all-time favorite meals was at Tetsuya in Sydney.

#1 on my list was actually Waku Ghin, Tetsuya's new 25-seat restaurant in Singapore. I'll be in Singapore next week, I had reservations. And this week I received an email that they were going to be closed for a grand opening of some kind at the Marina Bay Sands and wouldn't be able to honor my reservation. They're dead to me.

17. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, yes, Tetsuya's! I thought at one time he and Cheong were neck-and-neck
    in the great Australian chef contest (ah, the irony), but chef Liew seems to
    have abdicated (my last meal at Grange was not up to snuff).

18. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Noma in Copenhagen is #1 on my list. I could not get in when I was in CPH last year [​IMG]

Two places I'd like to return to: Twist by Pierre Gagnaire in LAS, and a small restaurant/inn whose name I don;t know (somewhere about an hour east of Salzburg) that a friend and I stumbled onto in 2001 - the tiny place, run by a husband/wife team, featured fresh seafood from the adjoining lake - marvelous.

LN-FHU likes this.
  19. SocialAdept
    Original Member

SocialAdept Silver Member

Status Points:
    With El Bulli out of the mix I think that Noma is the highest on my list. As a lover of seafood Le Bernadin is also really high.

20. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you can't get into some of these fancy restaurants, you should follow the chefs when they do book tours. While my chances of going to NOMA are slim to nonexistent, if I had bucked up $150 bucks last June I could have gone to a dinner and book signing with him in Seattle. It's an awesome way to experience the resto and maybe even talk to the chef.

diver90 likes this.
  21. servus
    Original Member

servus Silver Member

Status Points:
    TAO in New York
    Roy's in Hawaii
    Spago in Beverly Hills

22. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't have one anymore. Plenty of places I'd like to try, and not a single one is a "celebrity chef who has spread himself so thin that he's never in his kitchen anymore and his ego is going to make his head pop" place. So, after eating at The French Laundry, I officially have no "I must eat here" list. Having eaten at TFL, it just reinforced my statement above, which was what I had feared before I actually went.

23. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to go there too. Last year I was in LAS and had a reservation there but I switched to Robuchon and that was excellent. I had read a couple of reviews about it not being as good as it used to be, but it was fantastic. The signature caviar, lobster coral and fennel cream starter was truly memorable.

Caviar - Lobster Coral.jpg

24. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent Point!

25. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought TK spent all his time at his LV branch of Bouchon! Dang.