What qualifies as a city you've visited?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Marty McFry, Mar 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Marty McFry
    Original Member

Marty McFry Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does having a layover in the airport count? What about just taking a step outside the airport? Or perhaps there's a minimum amount of time you have to spend outside the airport for it to count?

And with trains, is stepping on the platform enough or do you have to go out of the train station as well?

Cholula and jbcarioca like this.
  2. mhf
    Original Member

mhf Silver Member

Status Points:
    I only count a city as visited if I can actually describe at least some part of the city from personal experience. If it's just the airport, I say "I've only been to the airport."

EDIT: You can also consider your layovers as visits to different cities in Airport Country.

jbcarioca and JasonH like this.
  3. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd say at a minimum you'd have to do something not related to being in or passing through an airport.

I'm dorky enough to count which states and countries I visit every year. My threshold is that for countries, I must clear immigration (so that the country acknowledges I've entered it) and that for states, I must engage in some sort of economic activity (so that my presence there flows back to others in the state).

4. Efrem
    Original Member

Efrem Silver Member

Status Points:
    The traditional Chinese standard is that you have to eat a meal in a place to properly say you've been there.

5. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    My standard is I need to either sleep a night there or visit a museum and eat a meal. Usually I manage all three. Photographic evidence is also preferred [​IMG].

Wandering Aramean and jbcarioca like this.
  6. ben
    Original Member

ben Silver Member

Status Points:
    Must leave airport and must have a meal or a night's sleep outside of airport.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    I pretty much will only count it if I stayed overnight. Like Jason said, photos help too!

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Must leave airport. I count as visited a number of cities and states in the north east US that I only visited on a site seeing trip through the area one fall. Some locations I would stop and take a picture or visit a tourist trap. Others were only viewed through the window of the rental car.

I think each individual has a slightly different or personal "definition" of visited. Count your visits however you prefer, I will count mine in my own way. I don't believe there is a "right' answer.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. raysian
    Original Member

raysian Silver Member

Status Points:
    you at least have to have your passport stamped :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This thread made me think..... In my head, I always believed that it took staying the night to have stayed somewhere, eg, I stayed a night Lichtenstein. But thinking about it more, on that same trip, Berne and Lucerne would no longer count as having been visited even though I spent hours and hours roaming around each. I also thought about passport stamps but then Salzburg would not count because I arrived via train from DE. No stamp. I like a combo of Freak's and Efram's definitions - leave the airport and eat a meal - and will stick with that one.

Cheers

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good question- I define as follows.
    At least:
    1) Left the airport
    2) Had something to eat (no the Sheraton at Frankfurt etc do not count)
    3) Took a walk or a drive around an area other than the airport
    So, for example, if I go to a meeting at the Frankfurt Airport Centre or Frankfurt Airport Club across the street from Terminal 1, and flew directly from another country- even though they are "outside" of the terminal, when friends and family ask "How was Germany?", I reply "I don't know I was in airportworld".

Wandering Aramean and jbcarioca like this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hard to do with so many places not stamping.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  13. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Europe with Schengen means very limited.

Even HKG doesn't stamp anymore with the e-channel :)

14. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think keeping your list of visited cities is a bit like keeping score while playing golf, it is on the honor system. There are also exceptions to rules to take into consideration such as various seasons (winter rules) and course conditions (free drop from certain areas). I know if I have truly visited a city/country and keep my list accordingly. While my requirements to count a location may differ from others, I don't think it is a competition to see "who has the biggest list".

Count them however you like and be happy with the knowledge that you have been blessed to have traveled to more locations than most people in the universe.

Mikel likes this.
  15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    So we can claim a Mulligan :)?
    I do agree however on the overall concept- and the "biggest list" seems like a great way to torture someone you don't know/don't like at a dinner party with set seating arrangements. I can already here Captain Blowhard "Back in 63, when I was in Zimbabwe, we went to the bar, and beer was 5 pence......." :)

16. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    A mulligan would mean you have to go back and visit again, like it never really happened!

Yes, you are allowed to "pull out your list" at the appropriate time, but we are all friend here on this forum and "Size does not matter" to us.

17. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey I really like this idea!

18. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Feet on the ground.

I keep my rules simple and straight-forward. :)

Chimpy likes this.
  19. flacey8
    Original Member

flacey8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think interactions with locals outside the airport - this can probably be done by having a meal, going to a bar, visiting markets (i.e. street markets like the ladies market in HK where you negotiate prices for something), etc...

kaka likes this.
  20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is basically the same set of circumstances that I apply, though in some cases I'm even more strict.

If I'm just connecting at an airport it definitely doesn't count. That's one of the reasons I've still never visited Colorado despite connecting there a dozen times or so. But I also do not consider just using a rest stop on an interstate as visiting that state. If I stop and buy dinner, yes, but if I'm just stopping to get gas and then only because that just happens to be where I am when I happen to need gas then probably not.

In other words, I have to have meant to be there AND have done something for it to really count.

21. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    says it all. interactions with local because of YOUR need... not the car/plane's

Wandering Aramean likes this.