What Qantas flight attendants hate about you

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by sobore, May 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...s-hate-about-you/story-fn6sg2rl-1226064205584

IT seems like one of the best jobs in the world. You get to travel the globe visiting some of the great cities, and, what's more, you get paid to do it.
    But the more I travel the more I realise that the occupation in question - flight attendant - is a difficult job. I wouldn’t swap being a passenger to become a flight attendant for thousands of frequent flyer points.

2. Take.me.away

Take.me.away Active Member

Status Points:
    One thing they mentioned in the article is how a thank you goes a long way. Last year I started giving out handwritten and personalized thank you notes. Almost all flights I give them to the entire crew. About 40% of the time I leave 6 or so at the TSA checkpoint after clearing through. I have given a few to ticket agents and gate agents. It absolutely makes their day. I usually give them as I am walking away, but I have had a gate agent, a TSA agent and a couple of flight attendants seek me out and thank me, saying it is the first time they have had that experience.

At DFW, my home airport, I made it into their monthly newsletter back in December. One of the times I left the notes they asked me for my contact info and the TSA head person there called and then emailed me, thanking me personally for the notes

Thank yous are hard to come by, especially in comparison to the number of complaints. and handwritten notes are even more rare. I figure if I can put a smile on even one person's face each trip, I have had a blessed trip.

3. thewinchester
    Original Member

thewinchester Silver Member

Status Points:
    With due deference to the article's author, I don't lend any weight to what that publication and its parent company puts out there in respect of Qantas.

This press organisation and their journalists (to use the term loosely) has developed a reputation for being rather anti-Qantas in the past two years, and has used every opportunity to tarnish and dig at their reputation even when none reasonably existed.

The fact the journalist can say he's interviewed QF FA's to garner the content of the piece may have little truth to it, albeit I can't find anything I'd be happy to proffer as proof to support my view.

The comments could have been made by any airline FA, and they're being used in a way to disparage and influence views regarding that carrier. There's simply no journalistic value in specifically and directly naming QF in this piece, other than to negatively influence pax opinion towards the carrier.

And for the record, I'm a frequent, well behaved QFF, who thinks that some of the FA's aboard that airline need a good boot up the backside for their horrific service. However this is a small majority compared to the number of perfectly good quality FA's I've encountered over my years of travel.

4. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Although it is worth noting that the other major Australian press organization also has it in for Qantas. Which tends to indicate to me that Qantas has a big problem - that perhaps they have become so arrogant and self-absorbed that they have forgotten some basics of running a service. Their customers may be some of the rudest in the world, but they are still the customers that the airline serves.

For instance, while this is a problem all around the world, the following comment from the FA is telling, You complain about the overhead bin being full and make a fuss about having to put your bag in the rows behind. Um, OK, but perhaps the FA should pass on that feedback to management rather than shooting the messenger. Don't think customers are stupid - they are rationally responding to options given to them. You charge a fee for checking a bag, then don't be surprised when folks don't want to be checking bags. Tell everyone they are only allowed one carryon, then don't be surprised when folks who bring more than one are filling up the bins. If you buy planes and outfit them with smaller overhead bins, then don't be surprised when there isn't enough space.

5. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:

One of the complaints that struck me as very odd, was about the passengers wanting to know the time as soon as they crossed a time zone. Really?

sobore likes this.
  6. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are we there yet?

LETTERBOY, ilgattonero and ctporter like this.
  7. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    "WHEN BAD NEWS DAYS STRIKE!"
    I think that's a more valid headline.

I'm so f'in sick of nonews. I refuse to bother reporting their crap on here, AFF or FT anymore. the day the Australian media re-gains it's integrity, is the day hell freezes over.

8. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    What amuses me is these peeps are bitching because supposedly not enuf passengers give sincere thanks. You know what, most peeps no matter what their jobs don't get a grovelling thanks everytime they fulfill the duties of their position. I thought that was what your pay packet was for.

I have never failed to say please or thank you on a flight for anything that has been done for me whether it be giving me a drink or passing me a pillow yet I continue to be subjected to their surly attitudes as if they are doing me some favour throwing out a substandard meal to me or god forbid I expect them to remove the meal tray from in front of me within an hour of it being served.

Basically if you don't like being a flight attendant get another job. Stop blaming the passengers, do what you are paid for and get over it.

However, one part of the article which I think is probably a significant issue for FAs is the alcohol issue. Airlines encourage FAs to sell the booze because they make beacoup bucks out of it, yet the FAs have to deal with the consequences when it turns ugly.

sobore likes this.
  9. storyteller
    Original Member

storyteller Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't know what flights you've been on, but I generally get pleasant rather than surly, with no grovelling required. Flight Attendants don't need this type of story - seems to me it leads to a lot of people pre-primed to have a short fuse. The media have a lot to answer for.

10. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd say 9/10 Qantas flights I have been on have been staffed by moody FAs who despise their customers. It's a mix of international and domestic. I find the Qantas crews so schizo, our last international flight in PE from SFO to SYD the crew were dreadful, it was obvious it was just too much effort for them to do anything, service was non-existent to the point of being embarrassing. On the return leg the crew made an effort. My usual domestic flights are SYD-DRW. Last flight we took, probably there was 1 FA who was working his butt off the entire flight whilst the rest seemed so disinterested, as if doing anything as menial as food service was beneath them. They seemed to spend the entire flight back in the galley gossiping whilst the one FA ran up and down for the entire flight, yet he did it with a smile on his dial the entire time.

20 years ago I always told anyone who asked me about Australia they should fly Qantas. Now one of the first things I say to anyone is whatever you do don't bother flying Qantas.

If you are sitting up the front of the plane maybe they treat you differently, but I can tell you from someone who normally sits at the back, I think it is sad to see the deterioration of what was once a great airline into the poor excuse for whatever they claim to be these days.

11. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    The safety aspects of their job are mostly overlooked, but they have a lot to do in this regard, when required. That's not an excuse for poor service, although they often use it.

sobore likes this.
  12. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I follow a very simply rule when travelling. Do unto others. It's served me well. Pay attention to the FA's during the demo, be polite, understand that you're not the only person on the plane and don't be a DYKWIA. Help them help you, and the world turns far more smoothly. Added side effect is they usually notice this and tend to treat you better as a result.

What goes around :)

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. thewinchester
    Original Member

thewinchester Silver Member

Status Points:
    From my personal experience of about about 20 QF sectors a year and the accounts of my trusted friends, our experience would disagree with the above statement.

Sure, you'll encounter a FA once in a while who's a really bad apple - but on the whole QF's FA's are generally good and easy to deal with.

On the plus side, here's hoping the redundancy packages launched today will help weed out some of these poison apples from the FA compliment:

14. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I always stop and pay attention, apart from polite, it helps me, no matter how many times I've heard it. I have often had an FA come to me and say thank you, as I was the only person in a full cabin that did (especially on morning/evening commuter flights).

drewbles and LETTERBOY like this.
  15. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always ask the FA name, then use it during the flight. Simple, polite, interested, and incredibly different service outcomes. In return they use my name more then "Sir", which is nice too.

16. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I guess all any of us can do is make our own judgements based on our personal experience. All I know is that my friends and I in any discussions have all come to the conclusion that Qantas is not the airline it used to be and not our number choice unless circumstances such as routes or employers dictate.

It does annoy me that people make the assumption that FAs have attitude etc. because it is coming from the passenger. I am always polite, never demanding and treat everyone I encounter with respect so the negativity I have experienced has not originated from me.

Yes there are some total a-hole passengers, those who think the FA is their personal waiter who has nothing better to do than go and get them a drink whilst they are trying to dish out meals to the entire flight, but most passengers seem to be on the reasonable side to me.

I'm a great believer in if you are not enjoying your job get out. I think the problem is too many are addicted to the salary and benefits. Usually these retrenchment offers result in good employees leaving because they have the skills to get another job and the deadwood hang on for grim life.