What PM policy won out re:through flight mileage accrual

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by adambadam, Mar 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    My understanding was CO use to treat a one flight number, connecting flight A-->B-->C mileage wise as if it were a direct flight A-->C while UA use to give you miles for what was actually flown.

Which policy is in place now?

2. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, I believe it's the PMCO one.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't book it as one flight (direct) - book the segments individually (you'll pay more tax) but that can be done and you'll get the miles.

This is also important wrt PCUs, if for say you have a direct flight SFO-EWR-LHR as one flight number, if you don't split the segments you won't be PCU'd on the domestic segment.

So for elites, generally always book segments instead of the "direct" flight.

goalie likes this.
  4. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    CPU? :p

But if you have segments on different PNRs, I thought UA won't be responsible if you miss the 2nd flight. So, for example, if you have SFO-EWR and then EWR-LHR, and your SFO-EWR is late, causing you to miss EWR-LHR, I though United would treat the missed EWR-LHR as your fault, not theirs. Confirmation?

5. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah CPU, yes my mistake it going to take a long time to figure out and remember the new names :).

You don't need separate PNRs, it can be on the same itinerary, just make sure when you book it to book it separately, the website requires you to do multi-destination however, I have heard of situations where if you book (using the example above SFO-EWR-LHR) as a direct, you can call in and have them split it to two Flight segments on your itinerary SFO-EWR and then EWR-LHR.

You will however, have to pay some tax adjustments.

Wandering Aramean and genemk2 like this.
  6. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

mht_flyer likes this.
  7. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was pricing it as 2x as much when I tried to do it this way on the new slightly less .bomb

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Book the single flight then call in and have the agent split it into two segments so you "can get seat assignments and the correct mileage posted" and it usually works IME.

IDGflygirl, mht_flyer and Seacarl like this.
  9. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had itineraries where getting this done was a real struggle. I had one last year that I tried with at least five agents on separate phone calls, as well as someone else who worked on it for me in person at the airport, and none got it to split. I'm not sure what the issue was, but sometimes they can't do it. So, yes, it does usually work - but there are some cases where it won't.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is definitely unfortunate and regressive. Rather than "book it and forget it", it will now be "book it and tweak it", except that even that might not yield the desired result...:confused:

11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had irops on DL ticketed as a single segment on a direct flight, with a change of equipment at the stopover point.

They released the continuation flight before the first part of the flight arrived. While it ultimately was resolved, it took the seemingly fairly competent lounge agents 30 minutes to sort this out....as they were trying to put me on the next flight to my destination, but my prior flight only had one "flight coupon," which of course was used when I boarded the first part of the flight.

This wasn't really a DL-specific issue...this could come up on any carrier...but is yet another reason to avoid ticketing on "direct flights," certainly if there is a change of equipment. If you do find this necessary, definitely follow WA's suggestion to call up before the flight and have them split the ticket (same pnr).

Re the statement about separate PNRs leaving you hanging, on OneWorld, I've been told (and experienced) that if you have two nested OW-itins, they will look after you as if it is one pnr (as long as the flights involved are all ow).