What !! ? No World Cup 2014 thread !

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by anileze, Jun 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am surprised no World Cup thread on MP ? So let me start, it is not too late !

Too many goals, too many wrong calls, and till today nothing spectacular, No Joga Bonito !

To recap till now ! Brazil won, but expected better.

Spain ! They were just absent ! It should have been 3-0. Not 5-1. Bad calls. Same with Argentina today - Yes, Messi scored, but come on ! Argentina you can't hope to win the cup with this level of play.

Pura Vida - Yea Costa Rica ! Uruguay you deserved to lose !

A foul is a foul ! Had it been called correct, Swiss would have have been tied, not 2-1

England Italy. Dont whine about heat and humidity ! You'll knew this since November. But, young England Team has promise !

Who did I miss ? Mexico - too many bad calls, yet they won 1-0

2. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    World Cup and everything about touring/visiting Brazil is also welcome !

zpaul, jbcarioca, IDGflygirl and 2 others like this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree partially with some of your comments in particular the bad calls but that happens every year ( and in every sport) but too many goals???:rolleyes:
    Its often pointless drawing conclusions based on the first game and only half the teams having played (didn't Spain win last after losing their first game) and in anyone' s book
    Van Persies header was spectacular.

Things to like goal line tech, the boring defensive Greeks trashed, the same for the Honduran thugs.
    Things to hate particularly about the coverage include the voice commentary volume level on TV and the absolute silly nonsense being posted by some of the (US)
    news channels Foxsports the sewer of them all.

And especially my 6 team parlay of the "overs" on Sat and Sun games that paid $1035 for a $15 bet ..if all todays games go over I will hit it again:)

zpaul, anileze and jbcarioca like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Other than the Argentina performance... was Messi saving himself for a "real game"?... the biggest news for us who live in Rio was that the Metro, BRT and the bus system all worked as planned and no big problems happened. That is the biggest news of all so far, for us locals, anyway. None of the games have so far been worth the price of admission. Now how will Germany-Portugal turn out? seven minutes from now we'll begin to find out!

Thanks for starting the thread. It's long overdue.

zpaul, anileze and IDGflygirl like this.
  5. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Iberian peninsula has caved. 4-0 germany ?

I was totally unimpressed with Argentina. Who starts off with a deep defense ? They got burnt last cup with Germany. If they play like this (Messi) aside, they aint gonna win the cup.

The best till now - Costa Rica and Mexico ! Both played with hearts on their sleeve, so to speak.

I think this loss was a stunner. Never liked the Dutch stye of hard physical game. Best commentary is on Spanish channels. I remember before US-English channels figured out what soccer/futbol was, in '86 we used to watch Normal channels and turn on the Spanish radio commentary to go with it :)

zpaul and jbcarioca like this.
  6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I consider both Mexico and Costa Rica's performances more of a product of the play by their opponents.. lets face it Mexico barely qualified.

At this time besides the Germans both Holland and France gave more complete performances. As to the Dutch playing a hard physical game that might have been so in the past but currently they are showing more ball control with both Robben and Van Persie among best European duos up front.

Nigeria/Iran just over by far the most awful game to date. That takes care of my 6 teamer but some 4 and 5 teamers still going.:)

7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    No doubt at all about Robben and Van Persie. OTOH, apart from the mediocre play, at one point an Iranian was helping a Nigerian deal with a leg cramp. When is the last time we've seen that sort of sportsmanship? I agree, they aren't really World Cup level in some respects, but they do help one feel as though there might actually be some human beings playing.

Watching the end of Germany-Portugal was the opposite side. The germans did not make any effort to recognise the Portuguese. of course the portuguese were justifiably destroyed, but they did not need to be rude about it.

For my preference I'd rather have the Iran/Nigerian humans rather than the German machines.

Sorry for my tone, but it was the teams that made it so.

zpaul, anileze and newbluesea like this.
  8. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Finally, Monkey Off the back. Even with a mediocre play, US survived to play another day. If we make it past the Group-of-Death group, kudos to Kilnesmann. Jozy injury was a setback.

9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cringed each time Tim Howard wandered away from his position. It seems he cannot stand being a goalie. He did not lose much in this game but watch out when he faces a good attack, the balls will whiz right behind him as he's wandering around. There may be some possibilities but I thought most of the US team belied their experience and played like not-too-good amateurs. I cannot admire Klinsmann as a coach, though he was unquestionably a superb footballer, an all-time great. It is sad to see this disarray. Luckily they squeaked through proving the old adage, ...will do the right thing, but only after trying all the alternatives". We can only hope the US will know how to deal with Germany. If any team should, this is the one. Klinsmann certainly knows that team!

zpaul and anileze like this.
  10. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just like the English, the US team has many who have little exposure to international games. I agree they played like amateurs. I could attribute it to a radical change in their style of playing under Klinesmann.

Belgium has bounced back from 0-1 to 2-1.

11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    :)
    Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion... however if the Germans did show disdain to Portugal who can blame them?

We have hearing about Ronaldo the greatest player in the world as if he alone would beat any opponent. Then for the past week .. there was Ronaldo is unfit, Ronaldo is hurt, Ronaldo is faking, Ronaldo says he is OK . Even during game " since the game is lost the coach should rest Ronaldo" " Is Ronaldo coming out after half-time?" ... Ronaldo.... blah, blah, blah.

In the final analysis its was Ronaldo the nonentity.:)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    zpaul, jbcarioca and anileze like this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not arguing against your point. Were I do so, my mother-in-law, the most avid Christiano Ronaldo- hater around, might ostracise me ( in deference to sensibilities about the real Ronaldo, I use Christiano Ronaldo's name rather than anglicise it by eliminating that 'oh, so important to him', modifier first).
    Nobody in that game was heroic or even vaguely sportsmanlike IMHO. The victors, by being magnanimous with a team and captain who self-destructed, might well have been more sympathetic than ones that failed to show any such sentiment. OTOH, how does it benefit them, the victors, to be rude? Blame them? I do, because I think civility is important in life, regardless of circumstances, and the World Cup is an important venue in which to be civil.

13. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Think you are being a bit sensitive.:) I will however note that not a lot of the players in that game exchanged jerseys which I did find a bit odd.

14. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    What can I say - Two draws in a day ? BR-MX games was rather rough. Outcome aside, the Russia S.Korea game was better than I expected in terms of play.

zpaul likes this.
  15. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really feel bad in a red carded game. Specially when we are at a bar. We lose focus in the game, drink more, and eat more bar food ! Tomorrow will be another day; Go Uruguay !!!

zpaul likes this.
  16. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that the groups stage play is not a real gauge of the actual power the top teams have to offer..... unless they are in a tight group situation, the teams know you have to space your assets for the length of the tournament..... I would be cautious of jumping to conclusions just now.

I will agree that Argentina sucked hard in its first match.... and as Ive been seen posting elsewhere, out defense is pathetic and our goalkeeper is outright pathetic. I hope Im wrong but its going to take a very very impressive Messi and the rest of the Offensive team to make La Seleccion go very far in this tournament.

17. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a betting perspective its been great cup so far, however. What ? 85% of the games going "over"

One observation... FIFA needs to modify the handball rule the penalty awarded Australia was ridiculous as the Dutch player made a valiant attempt in trying to get his hand out of the way. Surprised with the present rules more teams haven't practiced kicking the ball directly at a defenders hand in the box... or do they?:)

Also what's with all these "Mario Balotelli" haircuts?:D

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  18. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well Uruguay won but they really didn't deserve it .. should have been one man down from well into the first half.

19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's hard to disagree with that. However it might be fair to suggest that Spain may have overplayed taking it easy, as has England for that matter. Some if these results have been borderline unbelievable for me. Unless both Argentina and Brazil shape up now either or both could quite easily be eliminated by the remainder of teams some of whom play their hearts out. Methinks Mexican defense was not a fluke and may really become a major factor assuming their first time here goalie can handle the ongoing pressure. Thoughts?

I was happy to see Uruguay do well, mostly because it is hard for them to border both Argentina and Brazil and be constantly overshadowed by both, except in 1930, of course.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  20. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Italians seemed to have come to the game wanting a draw (as they often do) and had the heads handed to them. Balotelli sulked (and sucked) all game and could have gotten a red card.

Now I have the choice of rooting for Uruguay in the next game.:D

21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you had told me even a week ago that I'd be a rabid Costa Rica fan, I'd have said, who? Surprises are the best part if the Cup, for me anyway. England out, Italy maybe, Costa rica reigns! What is happening!?

22. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel sorry for the Swiss, but they did, finally, get two goals. They should be grateful that the 6th French goal was not counted.

23. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    FLS - They should send one big mama BA 747 to pick both Spain and English team. CWB-CNF-BGI-MAD-LTN ;) :)

The France Swiss game should have been 3-2, and the Costa-Rica Italy should have been 2-0 :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  24. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree on all points.
    BTW 1, we see more bad calls now, much more clearly, with all those cameras from all angles. In time the quality of calls ought to improve considerably, although right now I wonder if the officials (read: referees) are quite capable of understanding the use of these technologies. Without trying to list some of the most egregious mistakes so far I am appalled that TV viewers seem to have a much better ability to see what is happening than the referees on the field, even though they'd seem to have instant audio updates from their own watchers.
    BTW 2, I now have seen games on domestic Brazil TV as well as on US TV. I am amazed (OK, maybe 'dismayed' is better) that the US TV game coverage is so poor. In Brazil we see each play from every angle soon after anything significant happens so everyone knows just what happened and can see the referee quality. ON US TV there is little movement and the explanations are often ridiculous and/or naive. There's very little view of the crowds from US TV so the emotions are not easy to see either.
    BTW 3, I suspect the inevitable result of so many different seasonal sports in the US makes anything as complex as soccer fairly hard to broadcast well. American football and baseball are in comparison quite static sports so they are easy to judge and easy to comment because there is plenty of time between plays for reflection. The very dynamic play of soccer makes short attention spans death to understanding because the action is constant with drama sudden and very fast, hard to catch sometimes.
    BTW 4, The US team suffers most IMHO from a misunderstanding by Americans of the nature of soccer play at the highest levels, not lack of skill. When US players berate the emotional content of high level soccer play and insist they do not want to 'do that' themselves they may not understand how high the physical risks are, how many skeletal, muscle and head injuries happen because of the intensely physical interactions without adequate time to be ready for impacts. Thus, they unjustly ridicule other players for their tendency to 'fake' injury. That is true, but in more cases the players may not understand how seriously they may have been injured, so react differently than the phlegmatic Americans tend to.

These BTW's are mostly my continuing effort to understand why the US soccer (let us all remember BTW 5, that the term soccer originated in England as an abbreviation of Association, as in Association Football) players seem always too slow and too cautious in comparison with others. The excellent Mr Klinsmann is, by his comments, a trifle perplexed by similar issues. I would be pleased to hear your opinions. My own are, as always, subject to change when I get better information or more informed opinions than are my own.

25. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well after that analysis of the state of football in US:). I agree to some extent the US ( for that matter so does Italy and Greece) suffer from being too cautious.
    Speed is another matter.. just look where that got Spain or that matter Switzerland who came out of the their normal cautious posture and thought they could run the French ragged:D.

My analysis for what its worth is that using the first two games each has played none of the SA teams has shown the inventiveness or plain willingness to adapt to their opponents tactics to lead one to believe at this stage they will win the cup. Many have gotten by so far by defense lapses by their opponents which their stars manage to take advantage of.

All European finals on the books.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014