What? No discussion of the AA changes here! (OTHER THAN PLAT-PRO)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Canadi>n, Jun 8, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering how major the changes are, silence. Not even venting and anger. Or praise for weeding out low revenue elites.

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me personally I no longer do enough paid flying to make EXP and I have lifetime Plat status and a fair amount of miles (which have been easier to obtain by other means other than flying recently anyway) so the changes really dont impact me as much as they would others.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because they're not surprising to anyone who's been paying attention at all in the past few years?

The extent to which any of this "news" was groundbreaking is pretty low. The additional status is interesting but the other bits, IMO, are the inevitable and expected maturation of the program. What's there really to say? A rehash of this is awful/amazing based on whether one spends a little/lot on airfares? A fight over the "best" way to choose upgrade priority (hint: whichever puts "me" up front more)? Bemoaning the fact that some people pay for flights while others are OPM and fighting over which are truly the valuable customers for the airline?

The arguments on those topics and more have been hashed out so many times even Waffle House got bored of it and moved on.

brodyf and Phudnik like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right, there are so many other interesting topics here being actively discussed. Oh wait...

5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    :p

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. Phudnik
    Original Member

Phudnik Gold Member

Status Points:
    Moreover, where is anyone going to go? The legacy FF programs are essentially identical now, with minor differences at the top level. You could switch to DL or UA, but if you are upset about EQDs and revenue-based mileage, they are all bad choices.

As a consequence, the US legacies now differentiate themselves on the basis of product rather than FFP (which works to DL's advantage and AA's disadvantage). Maybe AA will improve its inflight product (I grew up a sports fan in Cleveland so I know all about futile optimism).

I am a hub captive, so I've abandoned all hope and am stuck with AA as long as I can maintain status. DL and UA (both of which have substantially cut back service at my home airport) aren't really options unless I want to connect all the time and have a ton of schedule flexibility, which is rarely the case.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Hub captives will remain hub captive without much interesting to lure them elsewhere. I'm guessing that the airlines will make attempts to steal the elites from their competitors because someone in marketing will view it as a smart way to spend money (it won't be).

Speaking only for myself, even though these changes aren't "new", it does make me less likely to stick with AA. I live near IAD and getting to DCA is a PITA. I may still choose to get 100K on AA each year, or not. But, there's literally no reason left for me to go over 100K.

AA does not have a better product than UA or DL for international travel (in some cases, it's worse on the older planes). It'll be a while before DL rolls out 2kU, but I expect that will start putting AA behind the 8-ball for internet speeds. My UA experience there has been "faster service when it works", so I'll still take the slow speeds and work on e-mail than have no connectivity.

If I sit down next year and see that I can get an extra X number of hours at home by flying nonstop on UA versus connecting, it will be harder to continue giving that business to AA.

Doesn't mean I'll make the right choice. In a reference to my dear friend Seth, I might not have learned that the brick doesn't love me back just yet.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not my line; I believe it was first coined by Mackieman. But I do like repeating it.

IDGflygirl and Pizzaman like this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In my case, AS. Not from AA, though -- my primary carrier was UA. Their timing of program changes a couple of years ago neatly coincided with me reaching UA MM status and moving away from SFO into an area where AS is somewhat more convenient.

But, I am essentially now considering myself a free agent. This year I might get to MVP Gold status through some unexpected/unusual business travel. Next year I will likely only reach MVP status (if at all; might focus entirely on award travel for a bit to burn down balances). With credit cards and basic status I mostly avoid the harsh reality of E- travel. The appearance of premium economy on a lot of my international trips has helped in the transition from UA 1K SWU/GPU travel. To keep it on the topic of AA, that actually might get them some revenue from me down the road when they have their premium economy rolled out.

The next decision will be whether to switch at least for a while to a cash-back credit card.

Pizzaman likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's amusing for me to think that I am probably the last person here who has never even once paid for internet access on an airplane.

Yes, I used it a couple of times when Milepoint offered some sort of promo (I don't recall; was the offer free access to MP?). Hint hint... maybe something like that will drive traffic here :)

My employer is too cheap to reimburse it. I am too cheap to pay for it out of my own pocket, especially if I then were to use it to get work done.

So for me the time in the tube remains quiet time. No one can reach me, I can watch a movie or in recent years in retro-style read a book. I actually love that. No disruptions. No "wonder if I got new emails"...

brodyf and Counsellor like this.
  11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Oh, and I don't consider these changes to be major. But, these changes are likely to be the proverbial straw for a decent number of folks that might end up breaking their back, especially given the "sameness" of the programs.

12. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Structural reordering of the earn side of the program is a major change(although clearly not novel or unexpected). Earn amount may or may not change for given flight patterns.

13. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Certainly. But that's not really news. They've been telling us for months, now we have a date.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But you didn't talk about news. You said "Oh, and I don't consider these changes to be major."

I do think these are major changes for many members of AA's program. Not unexpected, but with significant impact. And perhaps more likely with significant impact for members of this community compared to the average AAdvantage flyer...

The $10k or now $12k PQD requirement would have killed my dreams of 1K-ness even if I hadn't moved away from SFO. I wasn't a $3k "bottom feeder" 1K but I am not willing to spend that much money (* 2 given my wife's going with me on many trips) on airfares with a single carrier.

Counsellor likes this.
  15. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think once DL switched to revenue-based a couple of years ago and UA followed, anyone visiting a frequent-flyer forum knew that it was only going to be a matter of time before AA switched. They couldn't make the switch sooner because of their bankruptcy and merger.

The changes are significant but it more or less matches what the other major US carriers are doing. That's probably why there's no significant outcry as there was first with WN, then with DL, then with UA. If I wasn't paying attention to the trends I'd be upset - but that's not "us" in the sense of this forum.

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Two threads on flyertalk with a combined 1134 posts:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ier-other-changes-announced-6-jun-2016-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...status-tier-upgrade-changes-6-jun-2016-a.html

I haven't really had time to follow them (not a major AA flyer anyway), but I'll boldly speculate that there is some outcry in those threads.

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not just a river in Egypt. :p

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That one runs through here as well.

19. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have lifetime Plat, and 75 years old.

My wife's company pays for her travel, and have in excess of 1.2 million miles in the bank,

Lifetime is great, till they mess with it who cares,

In the old days miles were a lot harder to get, today no real problem...

The only lay flat was 3 or 4 empty seats across

Counsellor likes this.
  20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    With 1.2m miles in the bank I wouldn't worry about earning miles -- no matter how easy it is nowadays compared to the past when you had to go to school five miles each way, through deep snow, without shoes, up hill both ways ;)

Burn, baby, burn!

21. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Funny, I don't consider being mugged by a gang of three to be somehow less serious than being mugged by only one. The excuse that "everyone's doing it" is getting a bit ragged.

22. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Happy Birthday. You're ahead of me again. :D

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    satman40 likes this.
  23. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    That's just splitting hairs. To be clear, the announcement of revenue based earning this week was not new info, just the date. There were some other announcements this week (Plat Pro, etc) which I do not consider major changes.

24. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    They kinda did mess with it. I have LT Plat as well. Now, all Plat Pro 75k mile travelers get unlimited free upgrades before Plats are even considered. And, if a LT PLT stops traveling, they'll be at the back of the line from a revenue standpoint for domestic upgrades in their category.

Counsellor and satman40 like this.
  25. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Alright then. I guess I can stop discussing it. <shrug>