What is your primary credit card?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Dangjr213, Feb 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Dangjr213

Dangjr213 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just out of curiosity, what is everyone's primary credit card? The one you use for the everyday purchases that don't have special promos (I.e. 1st qtr = gas) or you're not trying to hit a minimum spend on a new card.

My primary card is Barclay's Carnival Fun Points.... However not sure for how much longer, as they are once again changing the point value!

Was thinking about switching to the Chase Saphrie card as a primary but not sure it's worth the annual fee considering my yearly credit card spend is $30k.

2. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use Chase Sapphire for Travel and Dining out and AMEX Premier Gold for Gas and Groceries. SPG Amex for everything else. (which is not much).

3. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really use a different card for so many things depending on bonuses, but I guess the Sapphire Preferred or Amex SPG is my go-to on non-bonus purchases.

4. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been using my Amex platinum so I can hopefully get to 75k or 100k if there's another big MR to DL transfer bonus with MQM this spring or summer.

I hope there's a good PRG sign-up bonus soon, so I can use it for the 2x categories instead of the always 1x plat.

5. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amex Gold charge card for just about everything except air tickets which goes on the OnePass Plus card.

6. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    This has been changing for me in the last few months, and the current answer is pretty complicated.

Default card (gas/groceries/dining/etc.): FIA Fidelity 2% Amex.
    If I think I might want to return or dispute something: SPG Amex (with Return Protection).
    International or at merchants that don't take Amex: Hyatt Visa (no int'l fee).
    Car rental: UA Explorer (primary insurance).
    UA/CO: UA Select Visa (3 miles/$).
    And occasional other hotel/airline specialty cards.

I wish the answer were simpler, but that's the current story. I observe that this includes FOUR annual-fee cards, which I think is way too many. For many years, I carried only two: the SPG Amex and a UA card of some sort. But the Hyatt Visa pays for itself with the no int'l fee, nevermind the free room night(s), and the UA Explorer card is free this year. There are only two benefits of the UA Explorer card that are compelling: upgrades on awards, and primary rental insurance. If I had those somewhere else (e.g., on the UA Select card), I'd happily get rid of it.

Up until last October the answer had been simpler: the FIA Schwab 2% Visa as default (including ALL international spending), and the SPG Amex when I anticipated a return or exchange. I had rental cars going to the SPG Amex (arguably better insurance than the visas).

While I will sign up for cards for the bonuses, I rarely chase bonuses with my spending. I prefer to just pick a (simple) scheme and stick to it.

7. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Citi Dividend World MasterCard with 2% cashback for the next 11 months, part of the promo. Otherwise it would be Chase Freedom, which gets me points that I could use for United or for cashback.

8. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    1- AMEX Blue Cash Preferred for 6% on groceries (and many other items via grocery store gift cards) and 3% at department stores and gas stations
    2- Choice Privileges Visa - double points on everything and I am spending virtually of my points with my current stay, so I need more.
    3- whatever new card needs to be used to meet a spending requirement or whatever old card I feel needs to be used occasionally

9. Dangjr213

Dangjr213 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I might have to look into your number 1 card. The grocery store is a very large portion of my annual spend and 6% cash back sounds like a great deal. Would hate to think I'm missing out on miles but that just sounds too good to pass up.

10. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ahh, yes, same for me on #1.

11. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Without the "special promos" as originally asked:

1. CapOne Venture Visa (is also the international card).
    1(a). Fidelity Retirement AmEx
    1(b). Citi Drivers Edge Charter MasterCard*

Need a MC,VS, and AX for promotions based upon card type, each has a minimum 2% rebate.

* This was a special card created for those carrying the Citi Ford card when that program disappeared in 1998.

12. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use my AA Citi more than I would like to.
    My goto card is a Chase Amtrak Guest Rewards; because don't yet have a Sapphire Preferred.
    I like to tie my old cards to things like ff shopping or dining programs, so everybody gets some activity over the year.:)

13. javman08

javman08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    #1 UA Visa Sig (3x on UA, 2x on Gas grocies etc, 1x on everything else)
    #2 Amex Hilton Surpass
    Any good recommendations for a card with 0% int'l transaction would be appreciated

14. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nearly the same here.

#1 Amex Hilton Surpass (9xHilton/6xGas/Groceries/Utilities/DrugStores/3xRest) (I would like to hit 20k for gold for another year)
    #2 UA Visa Sig (3x on UA, 2x on Dinning/Gas/Groceries, 1x on everything else)
    #3 Capital One Venture (2% Cash-Back-For-Travel no Int'l Fees)

15. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's a great card.
    If you feel like being generous for my recommendation, you can start up a conversation with me and I will send you a referral which will give both of us $150 cash back (if you get the card).
    Full disclosure - you can easily get the $150 cash back on your own without my referral. But a few minutes of your time will benefit me a lot.

16. Dangjr213

Dangjr213 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't had a chance to look into it. Gonna pull my yearly spend by category to see if it's worth paying the annual fee. But if I sign up I will definitely request a referral link from you. I wouldn't have known about it without your post.

17. apgrizzwald

apgrizzwald Silver Member

Status Points:
    1) Sapphire Preferred. Love the UR with 2x travel and 2x dining
    2) Ink Bold. Effectively only used for gasoline at 2x UR
    3) New cards with minimum spend (currently US MC)
    4) Revolving spend on all open cards. Best I can gather is that FICO still looks considers "time since last activity" on a card when computing your credit history component. In other words, I try not to let dust accumulate on any single card amidst all the churning.

18. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Also look at what gift cards your local grocery stores carry. I greatly increase my cash back by using grocery store gift cards.
    But if you buy your groceries at Wal-Mart or Costco you will NOT receive the 6% cash back. They are classified as discount stores, not grocery stores.

19. nova

nova Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. Sapphire preferred
    2. Chase Freedom for the revolving categories

20. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. Chase Freedom for anything under 10$ or 5x rotating categories
    2. Chase Sapphire for Dining/Travel
    3. SPG for all other spend

21. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    The BA Visa is where I'm focusing all of my spend this year, as I'm aiming for the $30K spend for the 2-4-1 ticket. Not sure where I'll allocate my spend after I hit that threshold...

However, my spend is not for regular expenses. I buy/resell things to get CC points and hope to get my $30K spend in 4 months or less.

22. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chase Freedom (dining under $10 and most things under $50)
    Sapphire Preferred
    SPG
    Whatever other cards I am rotating in for small things to keep them looking active

23. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    That depends - but at the first part of the year it is the Amex HHonor card (until I hit the 20K and then it is out of use), and then it would be the Sapphire Preferred. Other cards usage will depend the promos (Freedom to hit the bonuses, PenFed if they have a promo, etc).

24. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    AMEX Premier Gold then Chase Sapphire

alohastephen, tondoleo and flyingdawg like this.
  25. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Chase Sapphire Preferred