What is your preferred vision of a revenue-based MileagePlus program?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Outhouse, Feb 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

?

What is your preferred vision of a revenue-based MileagePlus?

1. Miles awarded strictly by dollars spent (e.g., a $500 ticket earns 2500 miles)

23.5%
  2. Miles awarded by distance, percentage determined by fare basis (e.g., G fare earns 25% actual miles)

76.5%
  1. UA Outhouse

UA Outhouse Member

Status Points:
    Thank you in advance for your responses. Please feel free to share your thoughts in this thread.

2. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why this survey? ( Do you consult for UA?)

3. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My preferred version is what we have today - where miles are earned based on distance, and there are bonuses for some fare classes.

mht_flyer, LETTERBOY, genemk2 and 4 others like this.
  4. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not meaning to hijack this but could you speak to Delta for me? I've them on hold... :p

mht_flyer likes this.
  5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope DL's decision shifts enough share to AA & UA to make it worth their while to keep awarding miles in the traditional way

LETTERBOY and 8MiHi like this.
  6. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does the OP know that the thread title that shows up in the listings of threads on the right side of the home page here reads:

"What is your preferred vision of a....UA Outhouse"? I seriously hope that that's not what he intended. Gets kind of cold on the wing.

In answer to the intended question however, I hope the other airlines don't follow suit with a cost based FF miles scheme. Enough "enhancements" already!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Need none of the above as an option to vote. This is like asking "in a mugging, would you rather be shot or stabbed?" ;)

8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since you asked I'd rather be shot since the wound most likely will cauterize. :eek:

Gtitan likes this.
  9. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Distance is not subject to inflation. The awarding of miles/points/chits/doohickies based on spend will break down if there is any significant inflation. We will then see constant rejiggering of awards (see HHonors). Miles and fare class bonus can provide a more stable award base. Obviously economic changes, route and capacity differences and load factors will still pressure them to change awards, but I think Delta is making a big mistake.

10. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to be Global Services with $2 USD in spend and no revenue flights taken with all nonrevenue flights taken in Global First. That's a change I think you're going to like or at least I will.

11. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Earning percentages based on fare class are subject to inflation. It could be 50% now, and then 40%, then 30%, etc.

8MiHi likes this.
  12. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whichever one will result in the less serious injury. :D

Flyer1976 likes this.
  13. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully after that status is confirmed upon you, you'll be able to quickly fly before the airline declares bankruptcy and liquidates.

eponymous_coward and Gtitan like this.
  14. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    X 2...I'm.amazed Steve keeps getting passed over

Steve GadFly and Gtitan like this.
  15. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure I see that. What I do see is that in order to reward fliers who take shorter but more profitable flights Delta is going to a dollar spend reward system. This type of system will require periodic adjustments (raises) to the prices of its rewards as travel prices go up. This could make the 30K miles awarded to CC holders worth less over time which may be part of the point.
    The current UA system of distance with a fare class bonus is not subject to general money inflation, but basically misses the point of rewarding frequent short distance fliers who are more profitable. I don't think it would take an advanced degree in Operations Research to tweak UA's fare categories to account for that discrepancy without adding the distortions that inflation brings.

16. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Neither

LETTERBOY likes this.
  17. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whichever one (if either) makes the stock price rise that's the one I'm for.

18. Anglo Large Clawed Otter
    Original Member

Anglo Large Clawed Otter Gold Member

Status Points:
    A copy and paste of BA's Executive Club (tier points and distance-based rewards, while still earning miles (not points)), but without the YQ on award tickets. On all but the longest segments and most convoluted itineraries, it would probably be an improvement over the most recent award chart changes (assuming identical redemption rates to BA).

ETA - The tier points could be entirely tied to revenue, like PQDs, rather than fare bucket.

desamo, bmg42000 and genemk2 like this.
  19. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's my preferred vision of such a plan:
    garbagetruck-300x200.jpg

SnowDogDad likes this.
  20. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    +eleventy billion!

21. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally... I take a bunch of short (sub 500 mile) flights every year and earn status through segments.

I'd love it if they moved to a pqd status system.

Spend:

2500-5000 = silver
    5,001-10000 = gold
    10001-15,000 = platinum
    15,001-39,999 = 1k
    40,000+ = gs

javman08, Misplaced Texan and 8MiHi like this.
  22. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    On further reflection, they could approach the inflation question that way.
    Spend should be at least a backup for status. Someone who flies 20,000 miles but spends over $5,000 should get status.
    In the 90's Continental may have been doing that without announcing it. My status was upgraded twice in the early 90's when most of my travel consisted of short segments and I did not meet the EQM requirement. One of the upgrades came with a letter explaining that they were upgrading their top 1% to Gold, next 2% to Silver and following 4% to Bronze. I always assumed they used miles, but its possible they used Dollars to determine eligibility.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  23. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Youre coming in low on the GS number...$40k would be awesome though

24. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The problem is that the bonuses are not high enough.

Someone spends $1000 for a round trip TATL in coach. Someone spends $10K for the same TATL in F. The latter is getting fare less than 10X RDMs: it is 2.5X. And maybe the latter is not an elite, and the former is a 1K. The F flyer gets just 25 percent more RDMs than the 1K in coach.

This is not sustainable. The RDM bonuses for long haul premium need to be escalated. Since airlines haven't figured out how to do that, we are back to pure revenue.

But what this means is that airline alliances are toast. Well Sky and a Star are toast. If AA doesn't go,down the same brain dead path, then oneworld will live.

I am all for it if UA flew everywhere I need to go. I need to be in BLR 4x per year. So that requires flying LH. PQD crediting doesn't work. So I gave up and moved that business to AA. I get full EQP credit if the ticket stock is 001 regardless of metal. Simple. No drama. Done.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
    8MiHi likes this.
  25. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does death by a thousand cuts count as a stabbing?