What is your nicest experience with something lost while traveling?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by jbcarioca, Jun 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mine happened thirty years ago. I was living in Bahrain and had traveled to Fargo, North Dakota, USA. I dropped my passport case on a snowy parking space. It had my passports, $3500 in cash, some Bahraini Dinars, my address book and a number of other hard-to-replace items. I did not miss it.

The following morning my girlfriend who lived in Fargo received a phone call asking if she knew me. She admitted she did and handed me the phone. The airport manager was calling to find me because some honest person had turned it all in with not a thing missing. I could not even give a reward. The airport manager did comment on my incredible stupidly. I could only agree and praise "dumb luck".

2. goodandclassy
    Original Member

goodandclassy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dumb luck indeed / awesome!

I've lost my passports once, the day of a TATL trip. I am still bummed for all the stamps I had. Never found it.

I've also managed to displace a set of ta return document (W2's etc), left in the seat pocket. I sure hope they were discarded and shredded/incinerated rather than used in ID theft...

I have since adopted a policy of not doing naything important while flying :D

I most recently had my wallet slip out of the MR that pushed me to the diamond-medallion-hood (JFK-RDU-JFK-SFO-JFK-RDU-LGA).
    It had slipped form my back pocket and into the seat. I did not realize it until I got on the bus - and thought I had left it at the lounge in RDU.

As I was trying to get the lounge number, I received a call form 718 area code - somehow, the gate agent meeting the flight received it, looked up my profile, and called me, within minutes. She even met me outside of security to hand it off. not a thing missing. Job well done and a compliment letter well warranted :D

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only thing I ever lost while traveling was a set of Shure ear buds worth about $130. Left them in the seat pocket of a United aircraft.

Ever since then I am doing a complete "tear-down" of the seat pocket while waiting to get up and out of my seat on arrival. I also try to not put small "loose" items in the pocket and instead use an old business class amenity pack to hold the items.

goodandclassy and jbcarioca like this.
  4. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    goodandclassy likes this.
  6. goodandclassy
    Original Member