What is your favorite restaurant in the Sonoma wine country area?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by RSSrsvp, Aug 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a wine country trip planned for over the Labor Day weekend and have already booked a number of restaurants in Sonoma. I am sure that I have overlooked some great ones and am open to all recommendations. So far these are the places I have reservations at:

Cafe La Haye
    El Dorado Kitchen
    Harvest Moon Cafe
    LaSalette Restaurant
    the girl & the fig
    Are the ones on this list that all "must haves" or am I really missing something. Please keep the selection in the Sonoma area as I don't plan on driving over to Napa on this trip.

singtx and Scottrick like this.
  2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    My family is taking the same trip on the same weekend, so I'll be interested in hearing what others have to say.

3. NoFlyY

NoFlyY Active Member

Status Points:
    I have always found the food and service at Bouchon in Yountville to be excellent. It is, however, expensive (main courses at dinner are generally $32 or more). They operate a wonderful small bakery next door.

4. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you thought about Dry Creek Kitchen?

RSSrsvp likes this.
  5. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    No I hadn't but the menu looks delicious! Please pardon the pun but this is food for thought! ;)

6. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I went online to read reviews on DCK and while the vast majority of them praised the food a great number of them slammed the restaurant for really poor service. I was reading the reviews on Yelp. Open Table and City Search. When I read so many negative reviews like this regarding the service it is a turnoff.

7. WinecountryFlyer

WinecountryFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just happen to live in town and of those on your list I would recommend EDK above the others.

Here are my opinions (since you asked ;))
    EDK - Favorite restaurant in town. Good food, good service and can't really go wrong here.
    Girl & Fig - Just okay and a little over-priced for what you get.
    Harvest Moon - Good food and casual atmosphere. Nightly menu changes which some like and some don't.
    Cafe La Haye - Nice little restaurant on Napa St. Good food and good atmosphere. Can't go wrong here.

A few additional recommendations:
    Sunflower Cafe - Have breakfast here one morning and sit out back in the courtyard. Nice atmosphere and nice people.
    Hot Box Grill - Not a restaurant in the "square" but worth the short drive outside of town. Ambience isn't great, but food is quite good.

The reality is this......you have selected 5 restaurants that are in the "square" (center of town). If those restaurants weren't very good, they would not last long. (I think Harvest Moon is the newest of them all and it has been there for several years). There are many choices in Sonoma and the ones that aren't very good don't last. If you speak to 5 different people, you'll get 5 different favorites.

I hope you enjoy them all!

singtx and RSSrsvp like this.
  8. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I quite agree with you about EDK. The last time that I visited it was the best dinner of my trip.

Yes I am concentrating on the restaurants in town and will be staying at the Fairmont, so if there is anything a short distance away I will consider it. After a long day of tastings and driving around the county I would like to keep it on the easy side for the evening. :)

9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Despite the reviews on dining sites ( some posters tend to try and over-impress readers) Dry Creek Kitchen is one of my favorites in Healdsburg had two excellent meals there in the past and we have reservations there on Sunday 9/4 only place I would reccomend over DCK would be Cyrus

10. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I love The Girl & The Fig in Sonoma. I also am a big fan of both of the Willi's restaurants... the raw bar in Healdsburg is my favorite of the two. Great cocktails, nice small plates selection, and great service!

Gaucho likes this.
  11. singtx
    Original Member

singtx Silver Member

Status Points:
    were in town same weekend! Thanks to the OP for the post and comments.

cheers

12. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's the sister restaurant of The French Laundry, right? I've been to Bouchon several times after making a reservation just hours ahead, and like it a lot. I'm never organized enough to plan for reservations at French Laundry.