What is your favorite California Pinot Noir?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by RSSrsvp, May 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I happen to be in love with virtually every Pinot Noir from the Russian River Valley region and most especially the ones from Merry Edwards.

PS, Please don't go OT and start comparing Pinot Noirs from other states and countries and just limit the conversation to California.

2008-russian-river-valley.jpg

2007-tobias-glen.jpg

2008-meredith.jpg

druiddation likes this.
  2. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love August West, Loring, Sojourn and Sea Smoke.

RSSrsvp, The Merry Edwards Sauv Blanc is delicious.

SC Flier likes this.
  3. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pinot from V Sattui Wnery in Napa (Yuntville)...DELICIOUS!!! :D

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes! I was fortunate to attend a wine club dinner with her last month, where I was seated next to her charming husband. When her bio was given during the introductions, I realized that I had met her long before he did, when I happened upon a single vineyard barrel tasting that she hosted at Mantanzas Creek during her tenure as winemaker there a long time ago. They're both fantastic, as are their wines.

5. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    BTW, the Merry Edwards 2007 Sauvignon Blanc (Russian River Valley) was rated 96 points on the Wine Spectator 100-point scale

6. Rlpro
    Original Member

Rlpro Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the Due Ragazze Riserva from MaDonna Estate in the Carneros region. :)

7. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here are a few other Pinot Noirs from CA that I really love.
    Surh Luchtel - both the 2006 and 2007
    Chateau St. Jean 2006 Reserve Sonoma County
    Landmark 2007 Kanzler Vineyard

8. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lately, I've really gotten into the Anderson Valley pinots. Drew, Foursight, and Goldeneye are some that I really liked. Cool area to visit, too. I also like a lot of the Santa Lucia Highlands Pinots - anything related to the Garys is good, such as the Garys Vineyard Pinot from Miner (yum), or the stuff from ROAR. Most of the stuff from Paul Hobbs is fantastic, especially the Russian River vineyards. Finally, I LOVE Williams Selyem, and have 4 or 5 cases laying about.

9. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    My tastes generally run to the central coast, rather than the RRV. I'm a big fan of Talley, enjoying their estate pinot as well as the single vineyard Rincon and Rosemary releases. I like Au Bon Climat, especially their Bauge au Dessus which ages amazingly well. From further north, I like the Navarro Pinot Ancien.

10. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    BTW, I am running totally out of my 2006 Pinots and am eating into my 2007's. What are your opinions about drinking the 2008 and 2009 releases?

11. travelgourmet
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd say to hold off on the 2008's and 2009's, at least if they are better bottles. If they are more of the supermarket variety, then most are ready to drink at release. But, even for the better bottles, this is Pinot we are talking about, and it doesn't need the kind of bottle age that a Cab does, so it wouldn't be the world's biggest sin to open a bottle or two of newer stuff.

12. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check out www.wineberserkers.com

It's a wine BB where they talk about wine they way we talk about miles and points. ;)

SC Flier and RSSrsvp like this.
  13. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    On my trip to Napa last month, I fell in love with Fogdog from Freestone Vineyards in Sonoma county.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  14. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I booked a Sonoma trip for Labor Day and plan to spend time in the Russian River Valley area. I never drank a Pinot from the RRV that I didn't like and some of them like Merry Edwards which I previously posted about were unbelievable!!! :cool:

15. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Endorse all the names mentioned, especially the impossibly rich
    (and expensive) Williams Selyem and would add Gary Farrell for
    an affordable treat.

16. travelgourmet
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you get on the mailing list, Williams Selyem isn't that expensive. For my most recent allocation, the Central Coast and the Sonoma County were $37 and the RRV and Sonoma Coast were $46. The Westside Road was $69. None of those are cheap, but this is Pinot we are talking about and they tend to be pricey. Compared to Burgundy, the better California Pinots are a bargain!

One place to check out is Papapietro Perry, north of Healdsburg. Siduri, too.

And, for a fun experience, check out David Coffaro in the same area - not blockbuster wines (though drinkable) and not Pinot, but the "winery" is basically a garage/man cave peppered with Raiders paraphernalia. David is hilarious. Rafanelli is also a must-stop, if you like Zin at all. For Zin, I also really like Seghesio and think they are a very welcoming tasting room.

druiddation likes this.
  17. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in Buellton CA last week and ran in to Kris Curran, the former winemaker of Sea Smoke. She's a hoot! :cool:
    Buellton is in the Central Coast of California, not to far away from Solvang, and about 40 minutes north of Santa Barbara.

She was seated next to me at The Hitching Post restaurant.

SC Flier likes this.
  18. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    You didn't eat at Pea Soup Andersens? :oops:
    How did I know you love Sea Smoke?

19. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. Pea Soup is 'beat'. Circa 1969. The place to go is Ellen's (?) across the street. It's an old fashioned coffee shop that makes pancakes 'crepe style'. Oh my. They were awesome with fresh fruit and whip cream. :cool:

SC Flier likes this.
  20. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nah, you guys gotta come up to San Luis Obispo on a Thursday night for Farmer's Market!

21. druiddation
    Original Member

druiddation Gold Member

Status Points:
    On my last trip to Napa my favorite Pinot Noir was at Darioush.

If I was driving North from there up I-5 (and didn't notice the State line sign to stay on topic) ;) - I also enjoy the Pinot Noir from Willamette Valley Vineyards.

22. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a wine connoisseur but I really like La Crema and it's also a decent value (usually $17 at Costco). Have been more into Chateauneuf-du-pape wine for the past several years.

23. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    La Crema sells pinots from several locations, some are inexpensive and their top of the line releases are not! The first one from the Sonoma Coast is only $12 on their website. The second one from the Sonoma Coast is $24. The third bottle which is from the Anderson Valley is $50, the "Maggy Hawk" also from the Anderson Valley is $65. The last bottle called "Nine Barrel" is from the Russian River Valley, goes for $95 and is sold out!

SonomaCo_PN_09_split2.jpg SonomaCo_PN_09.jpg

AndersonValley_PN_091.jpg MaggyHawk_PN_062.jpg NineBarrel_PN_07.jpg

24. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting pics and prices. Just a quick note, the $12 bottle on their website is only a 375 ml bottle (half) making the Costco price a better deal.

25. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now I know why the size of the bottle appeared smaller when I posted the pictures. :cool: