what is up with various IC Club Lounges serving wine that cost +/- USD 6 a bottle?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by jonspencer, Jan 27, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am usually fairly pro-IC (an IHG fanboy if you like ;-)

however some properties seem to have their "heads in the sand" , why would they serve in the Club Lounge or give a $6 bottle of wine as a gift?

several ICs serve some quite nice wines in their lounges, notably IC Chopin Miami (but not IC Doral) IC HK or Grand Stanford both serve real champagne, most IC's in Oceania or western Europe do well in this category too

they are wildly inconsistent when you include Africa (with the exception of ICs in Jo'burg), Latin American and the Mideast where the grade of wine can be extremely low

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to admit that the IC in Buenos Aires serves a decent Black Label in the Lounge which is nice then I go visit an IC in USA and get served Dewars White Label. :eek:

3. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    the IC in BA might be a bit of a tired out property but the hotel staff "get" the service part of the business and they definitely take care of you in their Club Lounge :D

uggboy, Flyer1976 and daninstl like this.
  4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think it's the price of the wine so much as the quality of the wine that I expect. They should serve a good tasting and quality wine with good review scores, etc. The price shouldn't matter that much although I know there are limits. When they go pick a cheap wine just because it's cheap... that is a problem.

uggboy and jonspencer like this.
  5. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My experience with the IC's in Asia (3 in SKorea, 3 in Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia) all had rather good selections, along with their excellent service.

Africa varies greatly, with the usual selections generally poor, with the exception of Joburg (as you noted).

America has been a pretty large disappointment, with several properties not even having Club Lounges (Chicago, DC). Boston was pretty decent. I can't remember how Atlanta was right now; I'll have to check my notes & check back later.

6. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    You managed to keep notes?
    I always "thought" of keeping notes on restaurants, hotels, trips etc but it never took off...

iterfacio12, Flyer1976 and uggboy like this.