What is up with US Airways award bookings?!?!

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Feb 19, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

First off, let me just say I understand the rules and the patience required when booking award tickets using US Airways miles. But that doesn’t mean I can’t poke a few holes in the ‘logic’ this airline uses to come up with these rules. It’s pretty widely known by now that US Airways has historically had a lot of rules for awards that were just never followed, or perhaps the most clueless agents around. Since the AA merger, US has tightened up extensively on what you can and can’t do with your US miles. In the past US agents priced itineraries manually, which led to ALOT of flexibility. For example, earlier this year before US left Star Alliance I was able to book a 90,000 mile award in business class as DEN-ORD-VIE (stopover) -BKK (long connection) -TYO (destination) -SJC-DEN. Absolutely CRAZY they allowed this! I also have a 110,000 mile trip booked for April to S Africa that looks like this: DEN-LAX-MIA-DOH-CPT/JNB-DOH-HKG-LAX-DEN. That has all changed. According to the updated membership guide, US specifically states no routing across opposite oceans. They are also very firm on the MPM (Maximum Permitted Mileage), which cannot be exceeded more than 25%. Understandable, but they [...] The post What is up with US Airways award bookings?!?! appeared first on The Winglet.

Continue reading...