What is the "Value" of Milepoint? Help us.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Randy Petersen, Apr 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    OK, we need your help here. Opening the days mail brings us this seemingly sincere offer of a cash offer for Milepoint. Kevin apparently likes what we are doing and of course we hope our members like what we're doing ever better.

NOW, the question is, what should we reply to Kevin in terms of discussion points as to what our members feel the value is for Milepoint? I'm pretty sure one of the other founders already has said $100 million because of all the positive things our members are doing to help others in the world. While we certainly don't need no stinkin' ego valuations, what would you suggest we go back to Kevin with?

I've already told the other founders that time is more importnat than money to me with all the great things we have planned and are working on for our Milepoint members, so I'd need at least 5,000 days (120,000 hours) of time before i'd consider selling. Anyway, anyone have any ideas?

While not for sale, let's use this as an exercise in our own mergers and acquisitions ...

MilepointOffer.png

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honestly ... with anything you do; if you can get paid for doing it I don't see why not.

MP is an awesome community that I have learned a great deal from & hopefully shared some knowledge to others. While I understand most of the users here treat this as a hobby ... some of them treat this as their livelyhood. So if MP & other founders could get paid for doing this while not having to conform to the new owner's wishes that contradict their own vision ... i don't see why not. On the other hand ... if new owners want to change things that are detrimental to the founder's visions ... then most obvious, the answer would be no. However one could say that you never know what people want and how they could change their view or mind on the way things are run here ... so that is a risk. A Cash offer for anything almost always means an investment, and when their is an investment they would like a return on that investment.

3. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    i'm thinking and treating this "offer" as spam.... but nice to know spam!

4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    check your PM :)

5. Jim
    Original Member

Jim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Take the money and run.

TravelBear likes this.
  6. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you get paid in miles?

Mike

TravelBear likes this.
  7. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Life imitates virtual life. My not for profit work place just announced an "affiliation" with the much larger not for profit that has been buying up a lot of stuff in town. Our CEO has, imo, been as transparent as possible without giving out details they are bound by law not to give out. We have stressed to our CEO that it is the culture of our institution we wish to see upheld and so I say to you, if you can uphold the current culture of MP while doing well for yourself, after all it is your baby, then by all means go for it!

And as mikeef put it, if you can get paid in miles DO IT MAN! :)

flightnurse and Gargoyle like this.
  8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Are you asking for a valuation of Milepoint in SkyPesos, rather than a valuation in Dollars?

:eek:

9. oliver2002
    Original Member

oliver2002 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Gentleman can be found in LinkedIn and the ip matches the location of the profile. I wouldn't classify this as spam. He looks a bit like Mikel ...

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't a lot depend on what you, Randy, and to some extent the cofounders want to do? Presumably any reasonable sale or investment offer would mean either continuing but with oversight or leaving with a noncompete contract. Or maybe this guy just looks for people who don't know the value of what they have and are willing to sell very cheap.

TravelBear likes this.
  11. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Randy,

Suggest he ride on BRT 14 (Brooklyn Reality Tour). After riding around Brooklyn, eating all day, he'll realize that he doesn't have enough dough to buy you and the founders out. :D

12. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    A community of leisure and business traveller who help each other without any strings attached is priceless. :cool:
    For all the rest, I have Visa, MasterCard and Amex. :)