what is the requirement for a stay?

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by photonfilm, Aug 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. photonfilm

photonfilm Active Member

Status Points:

I stayed at a full service Marriott last month. My silver membership number was on file. My meeting planner did the reservation and since we were about 10 people, she billed it all to one corporate card for convenience. I did not have any spend on my credit card. I never received stay credit and upon calling the hotel was informed that since I did not spend any money on my credit card, I am not eligible for stay credit.
    My question is : where is it stated that I am eligible for points only if spent on my credit card? Did I stay at this hotel - yes. Was the hotel paid for my stay -Yes.
    Then why wont I get stay credit. I am not asking for points. Dont care about them now. The stay credit is important for my status and also promotions.
    Am I totally off track here? Please let me know

2. Unfortunately yes. This is a common phenomenon in the hotel industry that if your room was paid for via a master bill then you won't receive the points or stay credit. Most likely the planner of the event got the points or some sort of bonus instead.

Next time try to pay with your own card (or you be the 'planner').

Live and learn ;)

3. SkiAdcock
    Original Member

SkiAdcock Silver Member

Status Points:
    And it's not unique to Marriott. Pretty much all the hotel chains won't give you nights/stay credit when there's a master bill involved.

Mixed reports on whether an incidentals spend on your own c.c. will trigger a nights/stay credit.

If you need a night/stay credit, try to find the cheapest, closest Fairfield Inn, etc, and go check in on a weekend or whatever day is cheapest. Up to you on whether you actually stay or not.

Cheers.

4. photonfilm

photonfilm Active Member

Status Points:
    thanks a lot for your response. I am new to business travel and have a lot to learn

travelingmore likes this.
  5. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome aboard. You've come to the right place to learn. There are no "stupid" questions here, and plenty of friendly people around to give answers/opinions/etc. We have lots of fun here, so try not to take us too seriously.

6. SkiAdcock
    Original Member

SkiAdcock Silver Member

Status Points:
    We've all been new to business travel at some point & had a lot to learn. Heck, even after traveling for a while I still learn things every day on FT and MP that make me a more informed traveler.

Cheers.