What is the easiest way to get 25,000 miles for an award ticket?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Nati, Nov 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Nati

Nati Silver Member

Status Points:
    I need 25,000 miles to book an award ticket. What is the easiest way to get the miles? Should I be looking for someone that's willing to sell the miles? You can PM me.Thank you

2. Franklybrit

Franklybrit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Easiest way is to buy miles, and there is a 25% bonus on purchases in 6,000 mile increments at present which will help you.
    http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/purchasingMiles/main.jsp

Alternatively, another easy option if you are US or UK based is to sign up for the AA credit card, which will normally get you 20-30,000 miles.

Also, what are your flight plans?. Sometimes, purchasing BA Avios can be a useful and lower cost alternative for American flights.

Purchasing miles from someone else is against AAdvantage T&C's although you might find a seller - just be aware that if identified as such as a transaction the flights can be cancelled and the miles forfeited.

3. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually right now, if you purchase before the 15th (tomorrow), American is offering a 33% bonus. If you purchase 36K, you get a 12K bonus. The other option would be to apply for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card. Right now they are offering a 40K sign on bonus after $3K in purchases within 90 days. You also get a $125 statement credit on your first AA purchase.

Here's the link:
    https://buy.points.com/PointsPartne...guage=EN&product=BUY&CAMPAIGNCODE=AASoloNov12

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    An alternative is the Citi promo with (I think) 30k miles when you open an account. Plenty of restrictions and perhaps a 1099 from the IRS, but it's decidedly the "cheapest" of the options, even though it's probably going to take some time before you see the miles.