What is the deal on Involuntary denied boarding on an award ticket

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Indiana Delta Diamond, Apr 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    What do they owe me? It's pretty messed up deal and I might explain after I am no longer upset.

2. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish I knew or had a good answer for you. Since an award ticket is similar to a revenue ticket you should be due a lot of miles back and/or some cash. I just don't know about the cash part.

Has DL rebooked you on DL or other metal at this point to get you to your destination?

And what were the circumstances around this IDB? Honestly, I think it's just incredibly rare for a DM to be IDB'd without them being some part of the reason. Late to the airport? Late through security? Late out of the SkyClub? I'm not saying it's your fault but there has to be a good reason for the IDB.

-RM

3. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a Diamond Medallion, you should have been at the very BOTTOM of the list for IDB. Was this an equipment swap or just overbooked? Hope you get to your destination in a timely manner.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Protection in IROPs etc. is a big reason why I stick with DL at times when another carrier would be cheaper or more convenient. If they cease to protect DMs, I'll change my policy on this.

EDIT to add: In the past DL (and also PMNW) was extremely good about this IME. Now DL has been training their people to be very aware of high value customers, which DMs are by definition (silly as that assumption might be).

Did they use the words IDB to you? Did you write down any names or ask for a redcoat?

Are you sure they realized you were a DM and didn't somehow believe you were flying nonrev?

By chance, was it a flight leaving the EU? If so, you have additional rights and they must pay in cash, even on an award ticket.

5. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OK, here goes.

CVG-MEM delayed due to figuring the weight and balance of the aircraft. Very tight connection, in fact, I don't think I will make it. But I hop on over to connecting gate. Good news, it must be a little late leaving....there are still 20 or so people waiting to board. I use the SkyPriority line to cut in front of all of those people. The GA scans the boarding pass and it was something to effect of no record found. She moved to the computer and types and bit and hands me a new boarding pass with a different seat assignment on it. I head on down the Jetway. About half way down I notice it isn't even my name on the new boarding pass.

I return to the gate and explain that to her. She then checks a little further informing me that I am not even on this flight and that I am flying ATL-IAH, which I am obviously not. I CAN see the display at this point and it clearly shows an IROPS rebook----TOMORROW. I ask her what I need to do and she tells me to contact whoever took me off that flight. Of course, I would assume that no human did but rather the computer. Regardless, I again showed her that I did have a boarding pass for the flight. She could really give a batman less about that. She explains that she has no seats and that she has already asked for volunteers. Strangely enough, they end up calling a name of a person and expedite his boarding even though he was a potential volunteer.

I knew that this was Y0 the rest of the day. Bottom line is that there pretty much isn't anything else the GA is going to do for me. So, off to the SkyClub I go. I got a lot of help there. They also found Y0 and had a tough time but ended up calling to Atlanta and I do have a seat some 6 hours later. So far, I have received a $10 lunch voucher. They keep telling me that a red coat is coming to see me but I have yet to see that yet.

Anything else?

Oh yeah, I asked the SkyClub agents for their names and ID numbers so I can compliment them later. They gave it right over. I head back and find the GA and ask her for her ID and she refuses and then I ask her for her last name and she refuses that request as well.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you know the flight and gate number plus a general description of the agent and/or his/her first name, DL can figure out who it was. Don't be confrontational about it or insist that the redcoat give you the person's last name; it might well be against DL policy to do so. However, you should note the details for the redcoat who arrives.

This sounds like this could be one of DL's infamous "assume the connection might be missed and cancel the seat" computer routines. My best guess is that delta.dumb rather than a person cancelled your reservation. Try looking at your itinerary on line to see if something has been noted and look for a "you might miss your connection" email.

If the GA saw that you weren't confirmed on the flight, I'm not sure what she could have done, but I would have hoped that upon seeing your boarding pass she would have been much more proactive, especially since she already had a willing volunteer. Another obvious issue is how you were treated at the gate with no apology or concern. You found your way to the SC for help (very smart move, as I'm sure you know), but the GA should have tried to rebook you after closing out the flight at the very least.

Did the GA ever say anything to indicate that she noticed that you are flying on an award ticket? Unfortunately, some employees think of award tickets as "free" and implicitly try to give them roughly the priority of nonrev.

7. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I just got done with some manager type person in the SkyClub....she might have been a red coat but she didn't have a red coat on. She informed me that they should not provide their employee number but should have provided her last name. The agent told me her last name.

I don't think there is any doubt that a person did not cancel it...it was clearly the computer. I do not have that email. I do have an email from Delta saying that I got upgraded tomorrow. I have looked at my online record but it is pretty much all cleaned up at this time.

I agree that as far as the GA was concerned I wasn't on the flight. I don't think she ever noticed that I was on an award ticket or noted my status.

The agent I met with in the SkyClub said she was waiting on her supervisor to decide what the compensation would be. She pointed out that it was not IDB....which I get but don't buy. I say this will be bad for whatever compensation they eventually offer. She has all of my personal information and I suppose further details are coming.

8. TheMadBrewer
    Original Member

TheMadBrewer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think IDB compensation is only due when somebody is denied because of overbooking the flight. Anything else (change of equipment, weight and balance, etc. -- and I assume computer snafu's) are a different matter. Not that compensation isn't due, but they don't have to offer it in cash and there aren't set amounts.

9. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it it IDB, then $600 DL credit is due.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's really IDB, I think you have the right to get money and not DL credits, although of course they'd prefer to give out the credit because a lot expire without being used and to use it you must buy another ticket on DL.

11. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't that only in the EU?

12. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like it is cash/check

13. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I did arrive in Houston and I did receive some compensation. Details later.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good night, I hope the compensation was generous.

BTW, was this a MR? What was your itinerary supposed to be? IND-CVG-MEM-ATL-IAH?

DeltaExpert likes this.
  15. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe this is correct. If they change the aircraft, or book more people than the plane can handle, that is still under the airlines control. Only on some small aircraft does W&B not entitle you to a IDB claim.

I find the fact that DL just automatically offloads you, and puts you on a flight a day later, with no input from you is pretty horrid. Protecting you on a later flight is one thing, just nuking your correct flight, and saying, "We didn't do anything, the computer did", is a big copout.

16. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd guess $200-$300 DL dollars.

17. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pull out your phone and snap a photo.

David

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    No.

IDB rules are mandated by the DoT and dictate that if you are delayed more than 4 hours you are due 2x the fare paid for that portion of the trip - in cash - up to $800. For shorter delays it is only 1x the fare paid. ON an award seat I'm not sure how they are supposed to calculate the revenue value on these for the claim but there must be a way; they are required to treat award seats as revenue in IDB scenarios.

19. TheMadBrewer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Change of aircraft does get an exception. See here.

Also you have to hold a confirmed reservation. If the OP's reservation was canceled (even by DL) that may give them an out. Also no IDB for W&B if the plane is 60 passengers or less.

Needless to say this all sucks and I hope the OP gets fair compensation.

20. TheMadBrewer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm think it says 1x or 2x the "one way fare on that day", which I would take to mean the walk up one way fare, not the fare you "paid."

21. Sounds like Shena reared her ugly head. That said, she seems to be doing it quite a bit this particular weekend...

22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was about to welcome you to MP, but shenanigans aren't welcome here, especially in the DL forum. Do we know you already?

mtkeller likes this.
  23. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Let me comment about a few things. I DO get that this isn't exactly IDB but I am trying to figure out from the customer standpoint how it isn't. Mind you, I am one that usually tries to look at it from the company viewpoint as well. I was confirmed on the flight and I did nothing to unconfirm myself. If this was an out why couldn't they just uncheckin someone every time they were oversold to prevent paying anything out? I know that isn't what happened in this case but from my view I was confirmed and checked in and presented myself for boarding on a flight and I wasn't allowed on.

When I boarded the later flight for IAH someone came on board and gave me 2 $200 vouchers. I guess I am OK with that.....I really didn't think that they would give me more than $200. I am a little "over vouchered" at this point since I took vouchers as part of my Medallion awards for 2010 and 2011.

Ironically, the next flight that was Y0 and they had to call ATL to get permission to make it Y-1 ended up with standby clearing that sat beside me....further evidence to me that a flight should never be listed as Y0.

Now, most importantly, Go BUTLER BULLDOGS, I will be at Reliant Stadium in a few hours.

24. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it were technically considered IDB, you would be entitled to money rather than vouchers and the amount would probably be $800 as I'm guessing that a one-way Y fare would be over $400.

I agree with your sense that cancelling people's reservations without their permission is an easy way to keep flights from being overbooked. It's also an easy way to grab back a seat that's been upgraded. Doing this to a DM scares me.

25. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think it was a pretty odd set of circumstances. Normally, I love the way Delta's computers rebook on IROPS but this one fell through the hoops. My main complaint is with the GA for not making it right on the spot and getting someone else off that plane. She was incompetent and rude about it. I don't think she had a clue that I was a DM but I am not sure she would have cared anyway.

What is not exactly clear about IDB is the amount YOUR one way fare or the Y fare...and, of course, on an award ticket that is a big difference. The fares were in the $1800-3000 neighborhood, I had previously checked.