What is the best way to transfer Amex points to Marriott?

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by bedros, Oct 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. bedros

bedros New Member

Status Points:
    I have 70000 Amex points that I need to use by the end of the year or lose them. (It's a corporate card, and our company decided to stop supporting rewards programs with Amex).

I am planning a trip to Europe next year. I need Marriott points to complete my reservations in couple of our stays. I have made the reservations but I need 160000 points to complete the reservation. I am part way there with a new Marriott visa card I just earned 70K points.

It would be really good if I was able to utilize these 70000 amex points for Marriott reservations.
    What are my options? Any advice? So far what I have seen are quite expensive avenues....
    The straight Marriott gift card is 12K Amex points for 10K marriott points. That seems to be the only sensible path so far....but I take a 20% hit on my points.

ANy ideas suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Sweet Willie and B1BomberVB like this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, the gift cards might be your best route. Is there any way to split up the trip you're planning next year and stay at a chain you can transfer the MR points to, like Hilton or SPG?

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  3. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I might have an idea or 2 for you. Let me think.

4. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it a 5-nighter Cat. 8 for 160K Marriott perchance? You can easily earn 10K Marriott by using your new card to get 2 free nights @40K = 80K.
    Amex USA is now having a promo where you can get 1.3 Virgin Atlantic (NOT Virgin America nor Virgin Australia) per Membership Rewards point! So 70K Amex can become 91K VA, of which 90K becomes 180K Hilton!
    If you still want Marriott, not Hilton, please PM me for another idea.