What is the best use of Ultimate Rewards points?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by BigBopper2000, Dec 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I took advantage of the Chase Ink Bold Biz card offer after seeing Chip's video on his site. I met the spending requirement and got my 55,000 points. I know about using the points for $687 in travel at Ultimate Rewards' site. Are there other great deals to be had, or is everything pretty much worth a penny a point? Thank you!

traveler, mailbroad and alohastephen like this.
  2. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While 55,000 points can be used for $687 in travel, that can be parlayed into much more valuable redemptions using their points partners. Since you have the Ink Bold, you should be able to transfer Chase UR points into United/Continental, British Airways, and Hyatt, which are considered the 3 most valuable partners.

UA and CO are part of the Star Alliance. 55,000 UR points transfers to 55,000 miles, which according to their award chart, can be used for a one-way business class ticket to Europe or close to a economy round-trip (60K). If you book a round-trip award ticket on United, you can even build in a stopover somewhere. These could be easily worth more than $687.

BA is part of OneWorld, and their program has devalued a bit and it doesn't make sense to fly on BA in economy because of surcharges, but there are some good redemptions out there. They are great for short non-stop domestic redemptions on AA. For example, NYC-Toronto can be hundreds of dollars, but is only 4,500 BA Avios points one-way (about $56 in UR points). Great redemption. I'm going to South America in a few months and wanted to fly Lima-Cuzco to see Machu Picchu. LAN (a BA Oneworld partner) wanted $400 for the round-trip, while another airline wanted $280. I ended up using 9000 Avios points + $13 in taxes, which came out to about $125 worth of Chase UR points.

As for Hyatt, 55K is good for 3 nights at a Category 5 hotel room or 2 nights in a suite. This is way more than $687.

There are times when it is easier to just cash out the points for paying for travel, but I would rarely do that unless it made monetary sense.

Mikel, Jimgotkp, misterbwong and 4 others like this.
  3. Thank you, Daemon!! Very helpful.

daemon14 likes this.
  4. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No problem. I would also recommend checking out the Chase UR Shopping Mall, as they are having some great ways of racking up points for Christmas shopping. Over Black Friday, they were offering 10x points for certain retailers, so if you bought a $1200 laptop, you'd get 12,000 Chase UR points. That's 20% of that free economy ticket to Europe on UA/CO.

Some people have also attached a free Chase Freedom card to their Chase Ink Bold/Sapphire Preferred accounts since the Freedom card gets 5x cash back on certain categories each quarter. Right now, it's 5x at Department Stores and Restaurants; next quarter is Gas and Amazon.com and after that is Grocery Stores and Restaurants. If you spend $1500 on Gas/Amazon next quarter (which our family does easily with 3 cars and an Amazon Prime account), you can get 7500 Chase UR points for $1500 in everyday spending. I think there is a 30,000 Chase UR points signup bonus link after $500 spent somewhere around. So if you get the card in January and spend $500 on gas in 3 months, you'll get 32,500 more Chase points.

5. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great tip about the BA travel! I'm going to keep that one in mind the next time I fly to NYC

bringer likes this.
  6. bringer
    Original Member

bringer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree, We love flying NC to NYC for only 9000 miles R/T. It puts the City right in our little city!

7. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree with Daemon on all points! Definitely consider transferring Chase UR points to Hyatt or United as you'll probably be getting the most bang for your buck.

As far as BA, I was unaware that Avios had such great domestic redemption and also pretty good South America redemption. Certainly makes them a viable option for that type of travel, seeing as they've made themselves pretty much useless in flying to Europe with their high fuel surcharges!

And don't forget to consider getting a Chase Ink Bold card if you have a business. That netted me an extra 50k points, making the total haul from the Ink Bold and the Sapphire 110,000 after meeting spend requirements. That's quite a nice start for a trip!

tondoleo likes this.
  8. upupandaway7

upupandaway7 Active Member

Status Points:
    Good Post .somehow the points transfer option does not come up in my ultimate rewards section. Does anyone know why? I want to transfer points to united/continental etc

9. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    What Ultimate Rewards card do you have? Only the ones with annual fees have this option to transfer to partners - Sapphire Preferred, Ink Bold...

TheTravelAbstract likes this.