What is the best time to buy a ticket?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by adrianors, Jan 8, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

I need to buy three tickets for my father in law and family for Christmas and New Year, round-trip GIG-CLT. What do you guys think will be the best time to buy tickets? I am used to buy last minute tickets and not care that much about the fare!

Flyer1976, Kalboz and Newscience like this.
  2. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    We normally book airlines, as soon as we have our travel schedule. Yes, prices can go up, or down, but I would rather have my choices - airlines, connections, seats, as soon as I know the where and when.

Especially for heavy travel times, I never like to have to fight, to get tickets.

Still, "deals" might come up, at any time. We fly UA most often, and on their Web site, there are three, slightly different types of deals, in the drop-down. I constantly look at those, just in case. I have found those very useful to do later-year MR's, but seldom find many for our business travel, as they seldom go where we need to, when we need to travel.

Good luck,

Hunt

Kalboz, Newscience and iolaire like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMO, when they are cheap.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maximum 330 days before return ?

Newscience likes this.
  5. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A friend and I are going to meet in Spain in July, but we got our tickets in September or October last year. I just happened to see a better deal (for his ticket, not mine), but that's OK; I'd prefer to have peace of mind and not worry about getting the flight that I want rather than gamble on waiting for a better deal to save a bit of cash. The amount I could save is not worth the trouble for me; moreover, I could end up with a bad flight schedule to get there, a more expensive flight, or both! Better safe than sorry. ;)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    adrianors, Kalboz and Newscience like this.
  6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    This article here states that the best time to book cheap is on Tuesday at 3pm Eastern, when they try to match the prices of the other airlines.

curiousgeorge, adrianors and ffitalia like this.
  7. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can set a price alert on Kayak. Kayak will send you a regular email with the ticket prices on that route; when the price drops, you can jump on it.

curiousgeorge, adrianors and Kalboz like this.
  8. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome article! Thanks Kalboz :)

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure...but is that actually true? A decent number of analysts say it isn't.

And I rarely find that planes are sold out on the routes/times I want, especially not if I'm willing to pay the premium which often comes from booking 200+ days in advance. But that also varies by airline and market, just like everything else.

Kalboz and adrianors like this.
  10. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The cheapest fares I found and booked on aa.com last year all occurred on a Friday, so YMMV.

Kalboz likes this.
  11. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    One thing Ill never understand.. I flew yesterday IAD-CLT one way United First with United Express.. I did that because I had two 70lb bags with me, BUT, also.. there was no seat available for purchase on Coach!!! When I was at the airplane I just noticed that at least 20% of the seats were available.. any idea why?

Kalboz likes this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because airline fare rules aren't "normal" very often. It is entirely possible when buying a one-way ticket that a restricted/non-refundable first class seat was the cheapest option available to you. There probably were coach seats for sale but only as refundable/flexible which would have cost more. So if you tell the computer you want the cheapest flight that's what you'll see.

Kalboz likes this.
  13. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    that explains a lot.. thanks!

Kalboz likes this.
  14. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another blog article about the subject at hand: The Best Time to Book a Flight Depends on the Destination

15. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Steven Schwartz likes this.