What is the best first class bargain from the Washington DC area to Paris?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by solrebel, May 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. solrebel

solrebel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am trying to determine what the best first class traveling bargain is from the Washington DC area to Paris in the Fall or Spring 2015. Any recommendations?

eponymous_coward and Newscience like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just for grins, I checked the Air France website. April 1-15, 2015 departure, IAD-CDG. First class = $11,752 pp, Business class = $4,752 pp, Premium economy = $1,872 pp, Economy (changes allowed free) = $4,012 pp, Economy = $1,302 pp

eponymous_coward, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  3. solrebel

solrebel Silver Member

Status Points:
    For clarification i was looking for the best frequent flyer bargain. I have a variety of different miles accumulated in different programs and I am trying to decide which mileage program i should focus on for the best award bargain.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  4. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having just flown Air France to Paris, their Premium Economy is pretty sweet and in my opinion, worth the extra bucks!

eponymous_coward and Newscience like this.
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The easiest would be United, with Chase Cards...

First Class is about the same, I find it best shared,

Not much fun in the front...alone.

6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're right about sharing first class seating with someone. However, at 6'5" I always enjoy sitting in first class! ;)

eponymous_coward likes this.
  7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMO, bargain TATL first class might be the wrong approach here. The premium experiences that are really nice (LH, LX, AF, BA) are going to cost the most in miles/fuel surcharges/needing elite status. The one that's the cheapest nonstop (UA) arguably offers little if any premium over business class- somewhat improved hard product, a little bit nicer lounge at IAD, an extra soup course at dinner, and that's it, not a lot of the premium lounge/good champagne/caviar ruffles and flourishes that distinguish F from C.

AA F (your other option) means flying IAD/DCA-ORD/DFW/JFK/MIA-LHR-ORY/CDG. Ugh, unless you're into flying for flying's sake...

Also, remember that a TATL flight from the East Coast of the US is pretty short (8-9 hours), so the real advantages of F in a longer flight don't come out as much, as say, East Coast of the USA-Asia.

So my recommendation is if you're worried about efficient use of miles while being in relative comfort, just fly C on US out of PHL or UA out of IAD on a flat bed. You'll be able to fly it more often. ;)

However, if you're really into "I'd like a premium experience with champagne, caviar, the swank lounge, a car driving me to the plane, damn the expense", probably LH, unless you can swing elite status on AF... then AF, maybe. ;)

I disagree I find First Class longhaul quite fun alone. But I live alone. :)

Last edited: May 22, 2014
    Newscience likes this.
  8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was single for 40 years after my first marriage, and had fun alone and sharing many a good times,

I agree with you, and I can not even remember the names of the ones shared with...I took my mother and her sisters on many trips, I will visit her grave today, not a good trip.

I'd say we are leaving, someone would say who is WE

Me myself, and I, so one is never alone.,