What is the best destination in South America?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by DorathyBOB, May 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. DorathyBOB

DorathyBOB New Member

Hi people,
    I just like to get some honest feed back on some South America destinations, I have Bogota, Rio and Caracas in my mind. I hope to get some great experience though!

So please help me out.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2014
    anileze and Flyer1976 like this.
  2. Espan

Espan Silver Member

what are you looking for: nature, culture, food, adventure, beaches, museums, etc?

Seems odd to have narrowed it down to those three large cities. Have you followed any news about current situation in Caracas?
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

I haven't been to Bogota nor Caracas and I loved Rio however you're already discounting some other amazing cities in South America. I just love Buenos Aires and I always tell my colleagues to go there one day and enjoy the Malbecs in Mendoza too.

So like Espan said it depends on what you're looking for. :)
    anileze likes this.
  4. npombo

npombo Active Member

I'm not the perfect person, because I havent been to Caracas, neither Rio. I imagine both are really nice cities, like all of them in South America. I'm Colombian so I can guide you about Bogota if you want, but mean while I invite you to read this Forbes article that came online last month about Bogota: http://www.forbes.com/sites/annabel/2014/04/29/south-americas-next-capital-of-cool-bogota/

But like others tell you, there are a lot of nice cities in SA, you can also consider Lima, I like it a lot.
  5. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Chile = thousands of miles of beaches + snow-capped mountains, affordable tasty seafood and nice wines

the natives are friendly people :D

hard to argue with that :eek:

go to Pucon if you make it there
    Flyer1976 and Bay Pisco Shark like this.
  6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

I concur with others that there is lot of things to do in South America, once you decide what you want to focus on, how much time you have, and what your budget is !

Beaches ? Brazil has hundreds of them. Some of the most beautiful beaches vanish during the rainy season, and emerge in the dry. There are beaches also in Colombia, Ecuador, Chile, and Venezuela. For nature - There is the Amazons eco system of Brazil, Peru, Colombia. High deserts ? - Bolivia, and Peru. The Salt flats of Uyuni, creates a natural mirror after the rains, one of the unique wonders of the world.

You could trek the mountains of Southern Chile, or cruise to the breath taking scenes of fjord like channels of Chile near Patagonia. You could try a cruise of the glaciers of Argentina or, visit the southernmost city of Ushuaia, or go to Punta Arenas. Hiking in Tierra del Fuego ? See penguins ?

Want an European experience ? Chill out in the outdoor cafes of Buenos Aires, watch, or better still take a few lessons in Tango dancing in the squares of Sal Telmo. You could visit or stay a few days in a hacienda (farms) outside Buenos Aires. You could trek the Incan trails in Peru.

Visit Cusco and Machu Picchu, like every tourist to Peru does. You could also take a chicken bus, or a train in Peru to Lake Titicaca. Once there, you could spend a couple of days in Puno and take a bus to Copacabana in Bolivia.

There is lot more to do in South America, and I am sure the residents of that region will chime in with more hidden gems to explore.
    IDGflygirl likes this.