What is the best country in Asia to visit and why?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by adamefimoff2, Mar 19, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. adamefimoff2

adamefimoff2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am looking for great food, lots of sights and safe.

satman40 likes this.
  2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    PEK, Great Wall, T Square, very safe...even at 3:00 AM...just one city in China many more....

Food, anything you want...

3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Japan has one of the lowest crime rates in the world (especially if you're male), fantastic food, amazing sights.

If you think that's "best" then go for it. I liked visiting there and would go back again (only got a couple days in Tokyo on my trip there, so barely scratched the surface). I think a question such as "what's the best country in Asia" is an impossibly subjective question to answer for someone else without having a really in-depth understanding of their tastes and preferences.

I also like visiting Thailand. It's not "safe", though (rather illiberal government, there's some history of terrorism and shenanigans, their traffic death rate's a bit scary, the infrastructure can be a bit dodgy). For that matter, the United States where I live isn't "safe". I suspect that for a lot of places that aren't "safe" compared to Japan, it's perfectly possible to be "safe" as a tourist if you use some common sense.

4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree, both countries are great.

The only reason I said China, my wife is Chinese, so we have a lot of her friends and class mates who are glad to see her.

Both countries would take many visits, to scratch the surface.

To me home is best,

Enjoy the ride..

anileze likes this.
  5. adamefimoff2

adamefimoff2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am just wondering about what country has the most sights. Like 7 days per a city

anileze likes this.
  6. Mike53

Mike53 New Member

Status Points:
    Try Vietnam. Friendly people and low cost for someone from Europe. I find a big difference between the north (Hanoi) and the south (Ho Chi Minh City). Both very good and I normally chose Oct/Nov or Feb/Mar to get the best of the weather/temperature. The street food everywhere is excellent and a great experience and no ill effects (yet). Cheapest travel over long distance is by plane. Vietnam Airlines are very good and very reasonable if booked early - other low cost airlines operate. Coach/bus travel can be tiring but a chance to see the countryside and the appalling driving on VN roads. Most places are also served by night/sleeper buses which have mostly been modernised in recent years, although they seem better suited to the smaller Asian body ! I could easily spend 5 days in each of the main cities of VN.

anileze likes this.
  7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    For how long of a trip? Japan's a country that's almost five times that of Australia, lots of land area. That means lots of sights. And then China would be ridiculous by that standard; you could probably do Beijing, Harbin, Shanghai. Hong Kong, Tibet for a month and you wouldn't have scratched the surface of things. This is probably true for many countries in Asia.

8. whkento
    Original Member

whkento Gold Member

Status Points:
    Japan has so many things to see and do, has wonderful travel options (trains, buses to everywhere), is unbelievably safe, and is really serious about their 'omotenashi' hospitality. Regarding food, each locality has its own specialty food and people often travel to other prefectures/cities just to try the local foods.

I've lived in Japan for 13 years, have traveled extensively within the country and still have a long list of 'must-visit' places.

I also enjoyed Thailand, but that was 30 years ago. I have had friends go recently and return with horror stories.

I would very much like to visit Vietnam and Cambodia, but can't recommend them since I've not been there yet.

eponymous_coward and anileze like this.