what is really the advantage of AA GOLD?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by TRYING2BPLAT, Jan 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just hit Platinum and during my January trips as a GOLD, I didnt see any different than a non-status members, you get the 25% bonus RDM but doesnt help on the status, priority access which is a joke because everyone is priority access and even non-priority can get by which I saw personally, seat assignment? if you get to the airport early and pick your seat, you will get those nice seat. No upgrade, try requesting it and none came through but airport tried to sell it to you for a fee. No club access, no alcohol drink coupon, didnt feel any different, I am a gold with Cathay, every time I flew with them, the head purser comes by and acknowledge you being on the plane and leave their name and if you need anything you can always ask for them, you get club access plus additional miles, very disappointed. Now I am going to try Platinum, I think only executive platinum gets the benefit. am I right or just venting?

2. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You requested a sticker upgrade and they tried to sell you one at the airport? Are you sure they weren't asking you to purchase the appropriate number of 500-mile upgrades?

rwoman and DestinationDavid like this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It sounds about right to me, but I take a different perspective. GLD is entry level elite status and designed to provided some nice perks but nothing too amazing. A 25% bonus on RDMs, free Priority AAccess and advanced seat selection are nice, but they aren't as nice as what you'd get as PLT and EXP. They can't give the whole house away on the first tier of the elite structure.

I find it odd that you said you requested an upgrade but didn't get one, but AA offered it for sale. AA only offers LFBUs when all upgrade requests have been accommodated. Your statement seems contradictory.

It's unfair to compare CX Gold status to AA Gold. They are completely different levels of a frequent flyer program. CX Gold is equivalent to AA PLT. AA PLTs do get club access on international flights plus additional miles. You should be comparing CX Green or Silver benefits to AA GLD, where you'll see that they stack up much more evenly. You can't do CX Gold vs AA Gold just because they have the same title.

Skye1 and sobore like this.
  4. TRYING2BPLAT

Status Points:
    Destination David, you are probably right, that GOLD is just an entry level on the elite status but somehow it would be nice to have some tangible thing or even a simple acknowledgement. You are right, CX GOLD is higher but even when I was CX green I get the same courtesy from CX, but I guess every airline have different way of acknowledging their elite members.
    So now I am platinum, what is in store for me?

5. TRYING2BPLAT

Status Points:
    john777 - when I check in at the airport, they were selling it at kiosk check in so I thought maybe I will be upgraded at the gate since they were selling it but I was not upgraded.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Foreign carriers are certainly are much more known for that type of service than domestic carriers, so AA is not unique in that regard. You'd find the same on DL/UA/US.

There is a detailed walk through of elite status benefits here, including PLT: LINK.

Kiosk upgrades (LFBUs) are offered after all upgrade requests are accommodated. Are you certain you requested it?

7. AnthonyB1609

AnthonyB1609 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I totally agree with this post. I was excited to be gold PA and great seat selection but then I get to PLT and it's not that much different than GLD. I requested an upgrade with my 500 miles and she said that there are 10 other people ahead of me. Which I totally understand but I requested the upgrade three weeks ago. What is the point of having the 500 mile upgrades if you can't use them...

I like gold cause that gives you some status but PLT is just a long gateway to EXP.

downhillcrasher and sobore like this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Depending on the route, 3 weeks is not that far ahead. :(

You can always try DL or UA with their unlimited upgrades for all elites, but from what I understand on many routes there are so many high tier elites that it doesn't matter. All programs have their good and bad points, and some are both at the same time.

sobore and AnthonyB1609 like this.
  9. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here in 2012, particularly after reading MP posts for months now about upgades clearing and not clearing, even for "Executive Platinums" sometime), I agree with most of the posts I see above on this thread about "Gold."

However, before I made "Platinum" or "Lifetime Platinum," circa 2008 or 2009, I really didn't think "Gold" was all that bad. My upgrades cleared back then probably 60 - 75% of the time, though often not until the four-hour window. And when I had to call the Gold Desk for account problems, I found them generally helpful and appreciative of my business -- though some reps more than others (that's often the story with anything in AA, "some reps more than others!").

I do get the impression upgrade clearing is tougher now than it was back in my "Gold" days.

After I made "Platinum" I noticed my experience with their "desks" improved further, and my upgrade clearing still generally impresses me. And from what I read, the upgrades, the perks, the privileges and the general customer-service level would be far better still with "Executive Platinum," which I really have no hope of ever making.

From my perspective they've got the levels set out fairly equitably so that each step up gets you something tangible , and there's still plenty of incentive to try to advance another step: regular AAdvantage, "Gold," "Platinum" and "Executive Platinum."

Skye1, sobore, John777 and 1 other person like this.
  10. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What would you say your PLT upgrade %s are, kansaskeith?

11. I'm 100% 6/6 on upgrades for for 2012 as a Gold. It just depends where and when you fly. I use EF to find open flights that fit my schedule.

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

sobore, tondoleo and John777 like this.
  12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd like those stats today, as I stare in the face of an LAX-ORD flight in Y. Don't think my upgrade will clear today. :(

rwoman likes this.
  13. AnthonyB1609

AnthonyB1609 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ya I was ord lax today and it didn't clear. I was 12 of 31....

14. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    My spouse has been 2 for 2 as a gold this year. I agree that it was completely dependent on the route and time of day she traveled.

rwoman likes this.
  15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    3 of 26. I'm comfortable in 14A posting this though. :)

AnthonyB1609 and rwoman like this.
  16. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    100% to and from ICT, though that is a short flight and an upgrade doesn't mean all that much.

A little less out of DFW and can't tell you the percentage, but still way over half. I normally fly west, not east from DFW. Haven't been too lucky DFW - PHX and back.

HNL also is a known problem, I guess, but I get around that by redeeming miles to fly F sAAver on that route.

rwoman and John777 like this.
  17. MJonTravel
    Original Member

MJonTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been Platinum for multiple years, and now I'm lifetime Gold. For sure, it's better to be Platinum, but Gold does have some "AAdvantages." Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Priority AAccess is one...and everybody does not have it. Best of all, I'm something like 6 upgrades clearing out of the last 10, and with 3 of those, Mrs MJ on Travel was with me, and cleared as well. Granted, mostly off-peak flights, but that's when I wanted to fly. We checked bags last trip, 3 bags in fact, and didn't have to pay for them, so there's something worth having.

18. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did the same yesterday - was 9 of 16 on the upgrade list. Two EXP's were cleared for the upgrade and that was it... ;)

After reading this thread... For 2012, I'm 50% on upgrades as a Plat. I do not think this is too unusual for a mid-tier elite member. As far as the OP's experience as a Gold, it seems somewhat consistent with the lower tiers on all of the carriers. If I were Silver or Gold on DL, I would not expect significant domestic upgrades...I base this view on my sister's experiences as both.

19. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have very much enjoyed AA Gold, I don't care about upgrades (as those get saved for Mrs Sweet Willie), I only care about seat selection & priority access which AA Gold came through on. I'm looking forward to seeing what Plat brings, which personally one the biggest benefits to Plat in my opinion is 100% mileage bonus, that's key for me as I burn awards for two people.
    ok, a clarification question, do AA Plats get complimentary club access when flying an international itinerary? (I ask as being *A Gold allows free access to clubs when flying on an international itin.)

rwoman and Skye1 like this.
  20. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haven't traveled internationally for a while, but, yes, oneworld® Partner Lounge Access is shown as a benefit for both "Platinum" and "Executive Platinum" members on this chart I just looked at: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/eliteStatus/elite-benefits-chart.jsp

Sweet Willie and rwoman like this.
  21. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    While Gold certianly isn't EXP, there ARE tangibles that set it above "base"/non-status membership, rightly without giving away everything at a base level.

Sure, a Platinum's upgrade requests may not always clear either, but as Sweet Willie ackowledged upthred, a couple of the great benefits that set Plat apart from Gold are those 100% mileage bonuses and the award travel they get you to faster, that, and international OW lounge access.

One thing like-able about AAdvantage is how simple it is---3 solid levels (vs. some carriers that have more than 3 tiers) with incremementally nicer perks with each. To add more tiers would likely diulte the bene's of the tiers they have now, in spreading those across more levels. To give more away at the get-go would nix the incentive/reward for higher tiers.

22. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes!! :) I've had no issue using any OW lounges when traveling on an international itinerary.

:D

Sweet Willie likes this.
  23. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find the jump from non-status to Gold to be the highest jump one can make in the program. Simply look at the list of benefits over on the FlyerGuide wiki: there are a lot of things available to Golds that aren't available to non-status members, not least of which are priority check-in, priority security lines, priority boarding, priority seats, free bags, and on and on. Gold to Platinum is a pretty small jump in benefits, and Platinum to Executive Platinum is another big jump, but not as big as going from no status to status in my opinion. Indeed, as an Executive Platinum I've lamented the lack of exit rows in the past, and wished some seats were held back for last-minute top tier bookings, but seat access is very egalitarian amongst AA elites, which benefit tilts toward lower tier members.

progapanda and rwoman like this.
  24. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree two tangible benefits of AA Gold are 1. 2 free bags.. can save upto $100 roundtrip 2. 4 upgrade certs for every 10K BIS flown

Sweet Willie and rwoman like this.
  25. progapanda

progapanda Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget free same-day standby! This has definitely helped me get home sooner in advance of imminent WX *and* avoid 3-hour layovers in an airport where I have no lounge access (through PP). I've scored two short-haul "op ups" as a (former) GLD as well. :)