What is Luxury

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by AdamAlex, Jun 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. I have never considered fairmont raffles, park hyatt to be real luxury chains but this is my opinion. Someone might have a different view on what is luxury so I hate it when people write 'its not a luxury chain' it might not be luxury to you but it might be to someone else.

marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Luxury is personal, it's dependent what the guest wants and expects from a luxury hotel. As for me, I consider Park Hyatt, Fairmont and Raffles to be luxury, I love being able to broaden our personal spectrum of what luxury means, slightly away from the mainstream or the majority. As said, luxury is personal, we love Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula, plus a selection of properties which are marketed by the Leading Hotels of the World, Relais and Chateaux. One view of a guest shall not trump another view of another guest, luxury is a symbiosis of styles, heritage, service, location and prestige. It's defined in my own words as something which is rare and special. It's not always about brands, luxury is a lot about emotions too and this incl. hotels around the world, which let our hearts beat faster and make us excited to go on our next trip and look forward to a personal journey of discovery. I believe this sums up luxury nicely for me, for us.

Also of note, unlike for some other guests, for us, Banyan Tree, Shangri-La, GHM and a few others in this bracket are also considered luxury. Would also love to stay more often at selected Four Seasons properties in the future, the same for Waldorf Astoria, especially the new WA Amsterdam and WA Ras Al Khaimah.

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    There are also some hotels in a chain that may be luxury, and not others. There are certainly some Fairmonts that are better than others :)

Service at the PH Aviara is as good as I have experienced anywhere in the United States. The design/decor isn't really to my taste, but the staff are as good as any.

I do think the PH Maldives is luxury, PH Tokyo as well. But that doesn't mean that the PH Chicago or PH Mendoza is.

The Waldorf=Astoria in New York, and at least other than the Waldorf Towers, certainly is not luxury. ;)

marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

I have to agree about the Waldorf in New York. The ambiance is great, but I would never consider the hotel to be luxurious. The Waldorf in Shanghai was extremely luxurious.
    I've recently found the same with Radisson. I never considered Radisson to be luxury, but after staying at the Radisson Royal in Moscow, I have a whole new respect for the chain. It was truly one of the best hotels we have experienced.

uggboy likes this.