What is going on with AA's website?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by garyst16, Jan 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The other day, all of the totals were blank. Today, I receive an email with my current "esummary". I have included a picture below...I have taken 1 flight this year for a total of 590 miles...yet this summary is for some time from 2011...I am guessing this was from early December based on the EXP qualification with miles...

aa 1-6-12.JPG

2. Albert C. Rollins

Albert C. Rollins Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife account was like that, yet mine was fine. today everything is back to normal. must have been a sweep they were doing. However, I've noticed today that when I log in, as soon as I click to my account, it logs me out, same thing for my wife account. go figure.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The real question is.... why are you sitting on so many miles?!?

PointHoarder, ceieoc, zpaul and 2 others like this.
  4. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    David - I travel for work...usually over 100K a year...including over 3 months in hotels (don't ask how many points I have there...). The last thing I want to do on vacation is get on a plane and sleep in a hotel...besides...I like to save...

zpaul likes this.
  5. KtownTraveler
    Original Member

KtownTraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some of us have several times that many banked miles. In OW alone. And that many more in *A and ST, even after burning tons of miles on family and friends. If you travel enough miles can really build up over time. Using them becomes a busman's holiday.

Counsellor likes this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Makes sense. I always think of the old FFer adage that miles only devalue over time, so I only keep a certain amount in the bank at a time. But then again, I'm largely a leisure traveler. Hopefully you get good value when you do end up using them. :)

7. AnthonyB1609

AnthonyB1609 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amen to that!!! I have to tell my friends all the time flying and staying in hotels is not fun anymore it reminds me of work. This month I will hit ten nights in my own bed.... So I totally understand what your saying.

garyst16 likes this.
  8. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have 16 nights in hotels this month which is about average for me

9. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I'm lucky because after 10+ years of 250+ work nights in hotels per year and the accompanying flights, I still love to get into an airport, get on a plane and go somewhere when I have free time. My mileage account rarely gets above 250,000 on any given airline.

yaychemistry likes this.
  10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well to each his own. The way I look it whether you fly a lot for work or not IMHO.... a vacation is a very important part of my life so the use of the miles becomes just a means to the end. Even if you like to speed your time fishing in the Alaska
    wilderness ( no hotel rooms) surely you would fly there correcty?

I have driven millions of miles in my lifetime and spent multiples of the time in my car as opposed to an airport/plane but that doesnt mean I want to walk to the supermarket or a restaurant.:)

zpaul likes this.
  11. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I absolutely agree, and I take ALL of my vacation every year (unlike many Americans, it seems)...I was just trying to say that I'm lucky that a large part of my work environment is still a passion for me on a personal level.

garyst16 likes this.
  12. ceieoc

ceieoc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe garyst16, like myself, was planning for future AAdvantage mileage devaluation and simply wanted to insure he earned enough miles to receive at least one coach class AAdvantage award ticket from Jackson Hole, Wyoming (JAC) to Vail, Colorado (EGE) via DFW.

LizzyDragon84, zpaul and garyst16 like this.
  13. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I completely agree, however, taking a vacation doesn't automatically mean hoping on a plane! I live in California and can travel throughout the state to many National Parks where flying is not an option. Of course, the 2 times I went fishing in Alaska, I did fly!

And by the way...I get 5 weeks of vaction a year and take each and every day!

zpaul likes this.
  14. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tough call. Could almost be a thread in and of itself. One one pont, there is the risk that if one decides to save miles too long and they may go down in value, company goes down, etc. Yet, if one spends a good part of their life on a plane and in a hotel for work, no sense in doing for a vacatoin something you do for work all the time. Theres probably a middle ground in terms of how much to hang on to and how much to spend....

AnthonyB1609 and zpaul like this.
  15. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    And then there's that whole issue of do I need status segments/miles/points or can I use FF miles for my flight. I've spent more miles on family than I've spent on myself for flights (upgrades excluded...I burned a lot of miles on int'l upgrades before the co-pay went in effect before I was EXP). Fortunately/unfortunately, I'm not sure I will requal for EXP again this year, so there may be some opportunity to use some miles...but then there's the "problem" of using up my SWUs, so maybe I need to purchase my long-haul flights this year or plan a bunch of Jan-Feb travel next year for 2014 status... All in all, not a bad problem to have :)

ceieoc, garyst16 and zpaul like this.
  16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I try to keep enough for a F class R/T to Asia stockpiled, otherwise I don't want to save past that. I'm well past that currently but that's beacause I'm trying to get two F class OW awards as a present.

zpaul likes this.
  17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Website problems at AA? They're practicing early for a merger. ;)

18. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all, anyone else seeing problems with AA's web site (as of now-- Feb 2)? My January flights have disappeared... I think it's a glitch on their site. The "January 2012" statement shows December activity... the "-- Current --" statement shows nothing down in the "Mileage Activity" section. The "Summary" section looks correct, all the totals are there, etc. Just no detail view.

Anyone else seeing this? Both Boyfriend John and I are having the same issue.

TheBeerHunter and AnthonyB1609 like this.
  19. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mine is showing (or not) the same...all of my Jan flights are gone, have been all day...

AnthonyB1609 likes this.
  20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    AA often does web/account maintenance on the weekends during which your activity will not be visible or sometimes will not be inaccurate. I wouldn't be immediately worried, it happens all the time. Should be back to normal soon.

pnoeric likes this.
  21. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is true. Usually there is a warning in red that current information may be missing. No warning this time. I'm sure it is maintenance of some kind, should be back to normal by Monday.

pnoeric likes this.
  22. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, thanks for letting me know. This is a new one for me. No warning in red right now.

gemac likes this.
  23. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are correct, usually, as in in always, there is a warning text in red stating they are doing maintenance and the data will be back to normal shortly. There is no warning message as pnoeric stated, hence the post airing concern...;)

gemac likes this.
  24. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I would be concerned if it were just me, but since it isn't, I'll give it a couple of days. My totals (EQM, EQP, and segments) are all still correct, so it seems less urgent.

25. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Still nothing on AA's site, and it's Monday morning on a workday. So odd that they wouldn't even have a "your account info may be unavailable" message... I mean, aren't the great unwashed masses (read: the people not smart enough to use milepoint!) calling AA in droves right now, screaming "what happened to all my flights that I saw there last week?!?" Odd!

JAbrams72 and garyst16 like this.